Occasional Visitor
pattykathryn
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-25-2012

Cooking Class

I am currently looking to start cooking classes for those that suffer under the attack of Diabetes. I have been a huge believer that "sugar" is a super killer for the American people (adults and children) for many, many years and have been over the last 15 years have come up with some crazy yummy foods (especially deserts) that are tasty to the pallet.

I am so tired of the sugar free sections of the buffets being so yuk that I have made up  my mind to help come up with the "tastiest" of deserts. It's obvious the buffets are only about the money and not at all about the taste. I am wanting to know who will come to the class and also be willing to share their thoughts and ideas to swap recipes too.  I will be checking the response to take this to the next step and I hope you are with me in this endeavor.

Thanks.....PattyKathryn

Advisor
kyfroggie
Total Posts: 256
Registered on: ‎11-23-2009

Re: Cooking Class

PattyKathryn,

Solicitation is not allowed on this website. Have you checked with the administrator for permission to promote this class?

Carol

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,080
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Aside from the obvious that Carol brings up, you also need to consider that all carbs present a problem to diabetics, not just sugar.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

pattykathryn wrote:

I am currently looking to start cooking classes for those that suffer under the attack of Diabetes. I have been a huge believer that "sugar" is a super killer for the American people (adults and children) for many, many years and have been over the last 15 years have come up with some crazy yummy foods (especially deserts) that are tasty to the pallet.

I am so tired of the sugar free sections of the buffets being so yuk that I have made up  my mind to help come up with the "tastiest" of deserts. It's obvious the buffets are only about the money and not at all about the taste. I am wanting to know who will come to the class and also be willing to share their thoughts and ideas to swap recipes too.  I will be checking the response to take this to the next step and I hope you are with me in this endeavor.

Thanks.....PattyKathryn

I don't believe in demonizing any particular food.

We have many many sugar free desserts in our Eating Right section, We even have our own chef, so we really don't have a need for classes.

Just Sayin........

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

forummoderator1
Total Posts: 194
Topics: 40
High Fives: 32
Solutions: 5
Registered on: ‎11-19-2009

[ Edited ]

PattyKathryn,

Those who have written to remind you that we don't allow these forums to be used for commercial purpose, and that soliciting is not allowed are correct. Perhaps that was not clear to you on your first post.

On the other hand, a hypothetical question about what might be good recipes or an appropriate curriculum for a cooking class for people with diabetes might lead to an interesting discussion.  On that basis, we will allow the discussion to continue.

Please be aware of the limitations discussed in our Terms of Use and Community Standards, and do not use this topic as a way advertise any potential class you may actually develop.  That might require us to edit or remove the topic.

Forum Moderator 1
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,711
Topics: 205
High Fives: 1,473
Solutions: 166
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

pattykathryn wrote:

Thanks.....PattyKathryn

I applaud your aim but not your preconception that sugar is the problem.

If you wish to truly improve cuisine for diabetics concentrate on dishes that are either limited in their carbohydrate content or which can be served in set portion sizes with known carb content. The former is useful for type 2 diabetics who may be following a lower-carb way of eating and the latter is useful for those who need to know the carbohydrate content of meals to calculate insulin or medication needs.

Sugar content is a distraction from the more important matter of carbohydrate content.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
lisa27
Total Posts: 199
Registered on: ‎01-07-2012

Thank you Alan for bringing up portion sizes. I know myself I find that sometimes I think it's ok to go a little over the portion size because it's low carb, not the case! I must stay the course of the portion size!
Lisa
Type 2. Dx 2012.