Established Advisor
nippers2
Total Posts: 382
Registered on: ‎02-11-2013

Cinnamon? Does it "work"?

I heard on the Dr. Oz show that eating cinnamon with food will somehow reduce our blood sugar levels.

Is this true?

Has it really worked for anyone on here?

Even if it just helped you a litte bit, I would like to hear your story.

Or if it did nothing for you at all.  Tell me that, too.

There is also controversy over which cinnamon to use...  common grocery store cinnamon also known as cassia cinnamon  vs.  the rare hard to find ceylon cinnamon.

Some say the cassia cinnamon is actually bad for you in significant quanities, because it has something called coumarin in it at much higher concentrations than what you would find in ceylon cinnamon.

Since I started this diabetic diet, I haven't eaten anything with cinnamon in it for quite awhile.  As an experiment, I'm going to try to add ordinary grocery store cassia cinnamon to my morning coffee and compare my blood sugar levels over the next few weeks to my past readings and see if there is any noticeable difference between ingesting cinnamon and not ingesting cinnamon.  

Advisor
Carleen656
Total Posts: 422
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Re: Cinnamon? Does it "work"?

A few years ago, Dr. Gott who had a syndicated health column in the newspapers, was asked if cinnamon helped with cholesterol levels.  At the time, he was a runner but still had bad cholesterol readings, so he was interested in if the cinnamon issue was true.

So he continued his usual routine with running, sensible diet, etc., for a month with the addition of cinnamon.  He experienced absolutely NO change (good or bad) in his cholesterol readings.  

That's really all I know about it.  I did add cinnamon to our flaxseed meal cereal (we're low-carbers) and experienced no change in labs with routine physicals but glucose readings were not an issue at that time. 

Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,836
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,518
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

nippers2 wrote:

I heard on the Dr. Oz show that eating cinnamon with food will somehow reduce our blood sugar levels.

Is this true?

There is also controversy over which cinnamon to use...  common grocery store cinnamon also known as cassia cinnamon  vs.  the rare hard to find ceylon cinnamon.

Some say the cassia cinnamon is actually bad for you in significant quanities, because it has something called coumarin in it at much higher concentrations than what you would find in ceylon cinnamon.

Since I started this diabetic diet, I haven't eaten anything with cinnamon in it for quite awhile.  As an experiment, I'm going to try to add ordinary grocery store cassia cinnamon to my morning coffee and compare my blood sugar levels over the next few weeks to my past readings and see if there is any noticeable difference between ingesting cinnamon and not ingesting cinnamon.  

Dr Oz is to real medicine as Judge Judy is to real justice. Think about that.

Then read this: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Please read it in full, but for those who do not click on links I will repeat the footnote I added later to that article:

I just became aware of this paper published in Diabetes Care in January 2008:Effect of Cinnamon on Glucose Control and Lipid Parameters. "CONCLUSIONS— In this meta-analysis of five randomized placebo controlled trials, patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes receiving cinnamon did not demonstrate statistically or clinically significant changes in A1C, FBG, or lipid parameters in comparison with subjects receiving placebo."
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
strollingbonez
Total Posts: 705
Registered on: ‎12-17-2012

months ago ...i was taking cinnamon....4 caps a day....i quit...not a bit of different in readings....

Super Advisor
TikTok2
Total Posts: 2,080
Registered on: ‎05-13-2013

I still haven't found anything that comes close to diet and exercise....

TikTok2

• Diabetes on both sides of my family.
• Assumed trouble metabolizing sugar as long as I can remember; migraines induced by hunger, very sleepy after meals high in carbohydrates from childhood. Learned how to avoid sugar and lots of complex carbs early on.
• Since early 2000s, "prediabetes" controlled through low carb diet and exercise, mostly walking. FBG 95-105, A1c below 6; glucose tolerance test was borderline.
• But weight drifted upwards but working on it.
• NAFLD brought under control with pravastatin.
• Metformin ER, 500 mg, started sept 2013 when A1c reached 6.5 despite diet and exercise regiment since early 2000s. A1c back down to ~6.0.
Established Advisor
nippers2
Total Posts: 382
Registered on: ‎02-11-2013

alan_s wrote:

nippers2 wrote:

Is this true?

Dr Oz is to real medicine as Judge Judy is to real justice. Think about that.

Then read this: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Please read it in full, but for those who do not click on links I will repeat the footnote I added later to that article:

I just became aware of this paper published in Diabetes Care in January 2008:Effect of Cinnamon on Glucose Control and Lipid Parameters. "CONCLUSIONS— In this meta-analysis of five randomized placebo controlled trials, patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes receiving cinnamon did not demonstrate statistically or clinically significant changes in A1C, FBG, or lipid parameters in comparison with subjects receiving placebo."

Ha!  The Judge Judy of medicine!  :smileyhappy:

I haven't noticed any benefits from it in my morning coffee, other than simply improving the flavor of my coffee.  So, it probably is another of the many myths floating around out there.

Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

I like the flavor of cinnamon and eat it regularly, but have not noticed much change in sugar readings. Habaneros on the other hand, i can see a noticable difference. I can weigh out two identicle portions of spaghetti from the same batch, eat one without habs and one with habs, &when i eat with habs, my sugar afterwards is 20 to 30 pts lower. Dont adk me how or why, i dont know. But hot foods keep my sugar in better check. Jot that i eat spaghettie regularly, i just chose a spiking food to test it with. When i use habs or jalepenos in a salad, i actually see a negative impact, so i crumble up a pack of jalepeno crackers to top it with. Works good for me. But i know hot food aint for everyone and dont recommend anyone try it without consulting a dr first to make sure you have no gi issues.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,186
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

nipper  posted in part......"heard on the Dr. Oz show that eating cinnamon with food will somehow reduce our blood sugar levels.   Is this true?"

Cinnomon works for me but not quite the way most people usually think.

If I want something sweet [don't we all at times?]   I use a combo of cinnamon and Stevis on a piece of toast [a bit of butter too], or on a few slices of fresh apple; or on hot cereal [yummy]. 

Instead of candy or any kind or cookies, cake etc. jam or jelly, syrup  or sugar free junk, Cinnamon and Stevia  satisfy my need for something "sweet".  That is all cinnamon can do from what I have learned ... replaces the not so good choices and is healthier for us.

I use herbs and spices in my recipes all the time. 

Joan

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
Advisor
ElectroFuzz
Total Posts: 101
Registered on: ‎05-28-2013

[ Edited ]

I have experimented with cinnamon.

I found it to lower BG if you take a significant amount.

I used to down 1oz of cinnamon with 2 cups of water.... a very hard thing to do.

That amount definitely made a difference.

But there is a big problem, the cinnamon sold in the US is Cassia Cinnamon.

Cassia Cinnamon is toxic for the liver, especially in large quantities

Cassia Cinnamon is banned in some European countries because of the potential liver damage.

If you do try to take any significant amount of cinnamon you want Ceylon Cinnamon (aka Real Cinnamon or True Cinnamon)

You can find it on Amazon or specialty spice stores.

I do not take cinnamon anymore.... not eating carbs works much better.

:smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,186
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

[ Edited ]

ElectroFuzz wrote:

I have experimented with cinnamon.

I found it to lower BG if you take a significant amount.

I used to down 1oz of cinnamon with 2 cups of water.... a very hard thing to do.

That amount definitely made a difference.

Hi!   Well, I would not like cinnamon in water either!!!  Ugggg!  It is not  considered a medications; it is used for taste and may help us when our "sweet tooth" demands something  special to enjoy! :smileywink:   I use is as I said to enhance the taste of toast, sqush, hot cereal to name a few choices.  Then too, if  cinnamon or other herbs and spices are used nstead of  jams, jellies, syrups etc also helps us maintain better control. At least for me it doesl,   I also use herbs and spices daily! 

But there is a big problem, the cinnamon sold in the US is Cassia Cinnamon.

Cassia Cinnamon is toxic for the liver, especially in large quantities

Cassia Cinnamon is banned in some European countries because of the potential liver damage.

There are several types of cinnamon sold in the U.S. besides Cassia.  

If you do try to take any significant amount of cinnamon you want Ceylon Cinnamon (aka Real Cinnamon or True Cinnamon)

You can find it on Amazon or specialty spice stores.

I use mail order for many supplies as I have food allergies; I find it is actually cheaper to buy in bulk! 

I do not take cinnamon anymore.... not eating carbs works much better.

It is a personal choice  of course! Low carbs is also a good way to go: I do both - use cinnamoon daily and have lower carbs meals always,

Joan:smileyhappy:

:smileyhappy:

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music