Frequent Responder
RichWayne
Total Posts: 74
Registered on: ‎12-30-2011

Best Diabetes Cookbook?

As a new person with diabetes, I have been making a lot of changes to my life style of late!

I was wondering what diabetes cookbook does a lot of the boards members use?

I have Robin Webbs, COMFORT FOODS and have enjoyed many of her dishes.

THANKS ~

Richard

Diagnosed T2DM, Dec 19, 2011
12/15/2011: A1c 9.8, B/G 186
3/22/2012: A1c 5.8, B/G 102
6/21/202: A1c 5.9, B/G 109
500mg of Metformin twice daily
20mg of Lisinopril once daily for high B/P
1gm of Colestipol daily for Cholesterol

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Best Diabetes Cookbook?

RichWayne wrote:

As a new person with diabetes, I have been making a lot of changes to my life style of late!

THANKS ~

Most of us would recommend that you look for Low-Carb cookbooks instead of Diabetes cookbooks, which generally have too many carbs for most of us.

You can also check out low-carb website which have many recipes, just do a search for low-carb recipes.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
veganist
Total Posts: 73
Registered on: ‎12-07-2011

Another book which is a favorite among many here was written by Neal Bernard titled Prevent and Reverse Diabetes. There are many recipe suggestions in the book offered by a qualified board certified physician.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,671
Topics: 204
High Fives: 1,461
Solutions: 164
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

RichWayne wrote:

THANKS ~

The best advice I can offer for purchase of "diabetes cookbooks" is DON'T.

As Lizzy wrote, if you must buy a cook-book, look for low-carb cook-books.  I know nothing about Robin Webb's recipes, but if a recipe does not have a carb count under it I tend to ignore it unless it really looks delicious. In that case I run it through an analyser to work out my own carb count and to decide whether the acceptable portion size is worth the trouble of cooking it.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s

veganist wrote:

Another book which is a favorite among many here was written by Neal Bernard titled Prevent and Reverse Diabetes. There are many recipe suggestions in the book offered by a qualified board certified physician.

Veganist is stretching the truth a very, very looooong way with "a favorite among many here". That is my polite way of saying that is balderdash.

Speaking only for myself, I detest Barnard. I suspect that I am not alone here.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142

veganist wrote:

Neal Bernard is a PETA frontman and one who stretches the truth about as far as one possibly can and if that doesn't work he outright lies.  They call the person who had the worst grades in med. school doctor!

There are no people here who consider him a favorite, except perhaps for people you "plant" to try to give legitimacy to your outrageous ideas and opinions.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
riya123
Total Posts: 43
Registered on: ‎12-27-2011

I am also diabetic patient. I always like to eat different dishes but at the same time I am also carefuk about my weight. Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey is one of the really very good book for diabetics. Along with that I like to find the more receipies on online recipe sites.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,780
Topics: 75
High Fives: 987
Solutions: 111

riya123 wrote:

I am also diabetic patient. I always like to eat different dishes but at the same time I am also carefuk about my weight. Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey is one of the really very good book for diabetics. Along with that I like to find the more receipies on online recipe sites.

That sounds like a blog by Alan_S rather than a book.  Is that what you had in mind?

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s

mollythed wrote:

riya123 wrote:

That sounds like a blog by Alan_S rather than a book.  Is that what you had in mind?

It does include recipes, some of which reappear in the book :smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,377

RichWayne wrote:

THANKS ~

I agree with what others have said, try low carb cookbooks for diabetes friendly recipes.  Most diabetic cookbooks have a few recipes that are lower in carbohydrates, but many, many are not.  If a serving size contains 45 grams of carbohydate, I immediately know that it won't be right for me personally.  I want cookbooks with recipes I can actually use myself.  I'm not just browsing for the fun of it. ;-) 

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.