ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Be Sodium-Savvy

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

I've just finished adding a new content page to our main website. It's called "Be Sodium-Savvy," and it discusses some easy ways for people with diabetes to alter and limit their sodium intake.

The page resides here: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/be-sodium-savvy.html

Take a look when you have a few minutes, and let us know your thoughts on the page. Do you find the information helpful? Is there anything we're missing, that you'd like us to add? We will certainly take your suggestions under consideration.

Thanks,

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
Super Advisor
Jpg391
Total Posts: 5,384
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Be Sodium-Savvy

[ Edited ]

Matt, I may have found a problem. There is no link provided if you go directly through the main website instead of using the one you provided. If that was intentional for now, I apologize for bring it up.

Otherwise I like the page. I would not change a thing.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,371
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,365
Solutions: 155

Matt, I'm traveling so I can't answer in detail at the moment.

I'd just like to note that being sodium savvy includes eating sufficient salts, not just limiting them. I'll expand on that later :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Fes, Morocco: Trains., Hotels, Cabs and Cafés)
Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Thanks for the advice, but I have not found that salt has any significant effect on my blood pressure.  In fact, I find that salt deficiency has a serious negative impact on my insulin sensitivity and given that I follow a low carb diet, I strive to make sure I get plenty of salt in my diet.

ps. Has anyone actually read any of the studies of salt reduction, the so-called DASH diet and hypertension.  The results are particularly underwhelming.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,429
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

This is a tricky one...

the common  American diet is way too high on salt, as noted, and many people arrive here, especially newly diagnosed, who are eating that diet in one form or another.

On the other hand, most of the people who have done a good job altering their diet to manage blood glucose issues are not eating that diet, particularly in this respect: "It is estimated that about 75% or more of the sodium Americans eat is from processed, packaged foods." We are following the advice to eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit and unprocessed foods in general.

There is also the truth, and check with your experts if you think I am stretching it, that while too much sodium can cause high blood pressure, that only happens with something like 20% of all people. For the rest of use, too much salt does not have that effect. 

I have been told there are other good health reasons to avoid sodium, although I haven't found what they are.  If that is true, those reasons should be listed on this page.

It took me years to figure out why I was getting horrible leg cramps intermittently at night. It's supposed to be an electrolyte imbalance, and I tried to make sure I was getting enough potassium, magnesium, calcium and I forget what else, none of which helped. I assumed for a long time it was the statin medication I was taking, but stopping taking that made no difference at all. Dehydration was another possibility, but did not seem to fit.  Finally about a year ago I was hiking with a retired doctor, who put me back on the first theory, and we settled on sodium. I actually had been suffering from not getting enough sodium, suffering from a too-low sodium diet for years, because I eat such a natural diet. This was especially true when I had gone on a long hike or worked on trail, or otherwise exerted greatly. Now I try to eat more salt, it happens less frequently, and when it starts, I get up and eat a couple of salty crackers, end of problem...  And my blood pressure has not been affected...

I do suspect its unusual for people to not get enough sodium, but I'm proof that it can happen, and I'd bet that a significant minority of the people who re most actively managing their diabetes are in the same situation...

Not sure how you integrate that into the page, but I think it should be there...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,395
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

morrisolder wrote:

This is a tricky one...

the common  American diet is way too high on salt, as noted, and many people arrive here, especially newly diagnosed, who are eating that diet in one form or another.

On the other hand, most of the people who have done a good job altering their diet to manage blood glucose issues are not eating that diet, particularly in this respect: "It is estimated that about 75% or more of the sodium Americans eat is from processed, packaged foods." We are following the advice to eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit and unprocessed foods in general.

There is also the truth, and check with your experts if you think I am stretching it, that while too much sodium can cause high blood pressure, that only happens with something like 20% of all people. For the rest of use, too much salt does not have that effect. 

I have been told there are other good health reasons to avoid sodium, although I haven't found what they are.  If that is true, those reasons should be listed on this page.

It took me years to figure out why I was getting horrible leg cramps intermittently at night. It's supposed to be an electrolyte imbalance, and I tried to make sure I was getting enough potassium, magnesium, calcium and I forget what else, none of which helped. I assumed for a long time it was the statin medication I was taking, but stopping taking that made no difference at all. Dehydration was another possibility, but did not seem to fit.  Finally about a year ago I was hiking with a retired doctor, who put me back on the first theory, and we settled on sodium. I actually had been suffering from not getting enough sodium, suffering from a too-low sodium diet for years, because I eat such a natural diet. This was especially true when I had gone on a long hike or worked on trail, or otherwise exerted greatly. Now I try to eat more salt, it happens less frequently, and when it starts, I get up and eat a couple of salty crackers, end of problem...  And my blood pressure has not been affected...

I do suspect its unusual for people to not get enough sodium, but I'm proof that it can happen, and I'd bet that a significant minority of the people who re most actively managing their diabetes are in the same situation...

I'm glad you mentioned the possible connection of lack of sodium with muscle cramping, Morris.  I did find that mentioned somewhere recently when I was searching for reasons for my crazy right arm bicep cramps not long ago, after lifting my usual 4 - 5 pound dumbbells, but after a stretch (subliminal) of having ignored them for a while.  So I started adding a little more salt to my diet, in addition to extra water, just in case.  I came to the conclusion that it was due to several things, and not just one thing, and haven't had a problem since then.  Interesting how salt makes one thirsty, so it may help with water intake in that way.  I have tried to limit sodium intake over the last dozen+ years, but not terribly severely, and usually end up mixing salted and sodium-free versions of things like nuts, when possible.  It really IS amazing how much sodium is dumped into so many things on the grocery shelves -- sort of like sugar.  It's usually one or the other, but sometimes the manufacturers dump BOTH a ton of sugar AND salt into the same pitiful package.  That's when my blood really boils, and I get the heck outta there!  :smileywink:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,371
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,365
Solutions: 155

[ Edited ]

morrisolder wrote:

This is a tricky one...

Spoiler

Not sure how you integrate that into the page, but I think it should be there...

"Spoilered" for brevity, but I read it all.

Thanks Morris. You have covered many of the points I was going to mention.

I also was one who found my night cramps increased as I "improved" my menu by cutting out processed foods and minimising added salt to my own recipes. I still get cramps, but not as badly since I resumed adding normal amounts of salt to my recipes and to my meals.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Fes, Morocco: Trains., Hotels, Cabs and Cafés)
ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163

Thank you all for the comments so far! This is good stuff. I alerted our staff dietitians to this thread when I put the page up on diabetes.org, so they'll be reading and considering your responses, too.

As a minor note, since my post may have implied it, I only added the content page, i.e. I did not produce the content itself.

James, thank you for mentioning that about adding a link! I actually meant to do that on Friday but forgot. I'll add it right away.

Cheers,

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,195
Topics: 302
High Fives: 634
Blog Posts: 61
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Morning Matt,

I agree with all of the above postings. Salt is essential, in more ways than one. I've had high blood pressure, since at least age 17, and salt has no bearing on my BP whatsoever.

However, for your nutrition folks, saurekraut can be rinsed in cold water before heating it up. That does remove some of the sodium in it.

Salt, and sugar, are both used as preservatives. I use a small bit of salt, when I make homemade saurekraut. The way I make it, doesn't stink up the whole neighborhood either! :smileyvery-happy:

One final little note....on the T1 post you did, the linky brings us to here. It may garner more results (= less clicking) by having the link there, as you have it above.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,414
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

I know that the ADA recommends more carbs than many or the posters on these boards, but I would think that the ADA should be cognizant of the newer members that come to this board with metabolic syndrome.  They not only come here scared of sugar, but of heart attacks and strokes.  That catches their attention and follow the article.

Recommending that those with diabetes increase their fruits, starchy vegetables, and whole grains without reminding them that this can increase their post meal spikes, to me, is inappropriate.  At the minimum, a warning should be included to test more frequently to see how your body adjusts or to space out the carbs during the day.  Please remember that many people on test once per day.  They may not catch these spikes.  The increase in carbs can also increase cholesterol for some.

The entire diabetic diet must be decided upon in a single recommendation;  focusing only on sodium, and giving recommendations that can negatively impact one's overall plan and health is not helpful.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1