Occasional Responder
trc0705
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎12-15-2011

Animal proteins increase the risk of diabetes

I have been doing some reading and some studies have found that eating too much animal proteins is a factor that can increase the risk of developing diabetes.

So is it safe to say that animals proteins are a cause of diabetes, type 2.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/1/43

"Diets high in animal protein are associated with an increased diabetes risk."

Proteins do turn into sugar in the body when they are being digested.  It seems like a lot of emphasize is focused on carbs, perhaps the same needs to be said on the amount of animals proteins a person eats too.

Can anyone give me more information on this?

Thank you.

Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 519
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

Re: Animal proteins increase the risk of diabetes

Just my opinion, but looking at the list of authors for that study I only see one Doctor of Medicine listed.  The rest are Doctors of Philosophy.  That just doesn't hold a lot of medical weight with me.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
Occasional Responder
trc0705

I think you may be a little confused about what a PHD is.

It would seem that a PHD in medicine has more to do with Medical Research rather than Philosophy.

http://med.stanford.edu/phd/

So the article has a lot of medical researchers on it and just one doctor.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/1/43

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,898
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,966
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

trc0705 wrote:

It would seem that a PHD in medicine has more to do with Medical Research rather than Philosophy.

So the article has a lot of medical researchers on it and just one doctor.

Well then let's take one of them:  Joline W.J. Beulens

On THIS study she worked on, the results stated: 

Recommendations of a high-carbohydrate diet may therefore not be optimal in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.

So high protein (animal or vegetable) can cause diabetes, and high carb can cause heart disease (a huge factor in T2 mortality).

If you base your ideas on those 2 (small) studies alone you'd better cut out both just to be on the safe side,  That leaves fat.  Yes there really are also studies that say 85% fat diets work well for T2 diabetes.  I'm not kidding, you can find a study to support almost any dingy idea that could possibly be thought of. :smileyfrustrated:

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lizzylou

trc0705 wrote:

Definition of PhD | PhD What??????

Lizzy L Lou PhD.

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
trc0705

Thank you for the great information lizzylou.  You have been such a ray of sunshine to me since I joined a short time ago.  Just wondering are you always this miserable?

However, all scientific research had to first start off as a question or theory, then research had to be done to construct a hypothesis, then testing of the hypothesis is done by doing experiments, until the data is analyzed and a conclusion is made and the results are communicated to the world.  This is how science develops and accomplishes things from theory to scientific fact.

The research page I posted (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/1/43 ) is one done by the American Diabetes Association and from your posted link (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/ ) you are stating that the research findings are false.  This does not portray the American Diabetes Association with a good reputation now does it?

So my question remains, should a person with diabetes take into consideration how much animal protein they are consuming in order to help control their blood sugar?

“Diets high in animal protein are associated with an increased diabetes risk.”

lizzylou

trc0705 wrote:

Thank you for the great information lizzylou.  You have been such a ray of sunshine to me since I joined a short time ago.  Just wondering are you always this miserable?

However, all scientific research had to first start off as a question or theory, then research had to be done to construct a hypothesis, then testing of the hypothesis is done by doing experiments, until the data is analyzed and a conclusion is made and the results are communicated to the world.  This is how science develops and accomplishes things from theory to scientific fact.

The research page I posted (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/1/43 ) is one done by the American Diabetes Association and from your posted link (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/ ) you are stating that the research findings are false.  This does not portray the American Diabetes Association with a good reputation now does it?

So my question remains, should a person with diabetes take into consideration how much animal protein they are consuming in order to help control their blood sugar?

“Diets high in animal protein are associated with an increased diabetes risk.”

Well, Mr. Sunshine,

It's pretty obvious that you haven't been here long or you'd know that none of us represent, nor for that fact even necessarily agree, with ADA positions. 

The ADA publishes just as many junk studies every year as any other entity!  I know perfectly well how science works, having been involved with it for a very long time.  I also know that one report means absolutely nothing. 

So now you think by insulting me that you'll get an answer? 

:smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
kyfroggie
Total Posts: 214
Registered on: ‎11-23-2009

trc0705 wrote:

This is how science develops and accomplishes things from theory to scientific fact.

I don't really know anything about the research study to which you are referring but I think you misunderstand the meaning of a scientific theory. As I tell my students frequently, "theory" does not mean the same thing in science as it does in everyday usage.You seem to be using the word theory as a conjecture not an explanation of what happens based on numerous tests.  As I understand it, scientific theories do not turn into scientific facts.
 Carol

Established Advisor
legion681
Total Posts: 600
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

[ Edited ]

***EDITED***

I completely cancelled my previous answer because I came to the conclusion that this thread was started to (again) support vegan propaganda.

You got me fooled, OP. It won't happen again.

Name: Al
Diabetes Type: 2
A1C results: 17 (at dx), 8.3 (2 months after dx), 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.2 (<-- latest 10.10.2012)

*** Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champions ***
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,504
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,410
Solutions: 158
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

Something I look for in any scientific paper, regardless of its apparent worth, is the funding information.

Although this was published in the ADA's reputable Diabetes Care Journal, this is worth noting:

Footnotes

• The costs of publication of this article were defrayed in part by the payment of page charges. This article must therefore be hereby marked “advertisement” in accordance with 18 U.S.C. Section 1734 solely to indicate this fact.

That is enough for me to become very wary of any conclusions drawn.

The next thing I check is research extending this. So I go to "Citing Articles"

Citing Articles
  1. View citing article information
  2. Citing articles via Google Scholar

The only articles listed are written by the same authors, citing their own work.

Until other reputable researchers confirm Ivonne Sluijs' research I see no reason to give it more than passing interest. I have seen nothing to confirm these conclusions anywhere else apart from the usual opinion pieces of the fanatically vegan PCRM group.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)