Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Almond Butter and Peanut Butter

Fresh Market has some good freshly-ground almond butter. It's better than their freshly-ground peanut butter. I've been grinding my own peanut butter, lately -- a mix of unsalted and salted peanuts -- with a tablespoon or two of peanut oil -- in a food processor. It's great, and only takes a couple of minutes. Has anyone tried making almond butter in a food processor? I might try that, next, if I can find some almond oil. For food on-the-go, can just spread some nut butter in some celery sticks, on a couple of whole grain crackers, or a small slice of sprouted grain bread.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Strange I know but I have tasted almond butter and did not like it much even though I love raw almonds. Perhaps I was anticipating peanut butter. This was a home style effort someone tried so perhaps they did not do a good job. Good job on the peanut butter, I have never considered making my own but you make it sound easy.
Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Almonds are pretty hard and are difficult to process without using specialty equipment. It works better if they are mixed with softer nuts like cashews, walnuts and pecans.

You don't have to use almond oil to make almond butter. Just use any nut oil or bland tasting oil you have on hand.
Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

goldensun (5/23/2010)
Almonds are pretty hard and are difficult to process without using specialty equipment. It works better if they are mixed with softer nuts like cashews, walnuts and pecans.
You don't have to use almond oil to make almond butter. Just use any nut oil or bland tasting oil you have on hand.

So, then we'll have Mixed Nut Butter!? Maybe I'll give it a try. Sure don't want to mess up my food processor, which is barely able to handle turning peanuts into peanut butter. By the way, I found something new over the weekend: tasty little 2 oz. All Natural Valencia Peanut Butter Cups at Fresh Market. Very handy for snacks.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Isabel Wiliams (7/23/2010)
Yes, I make my own peanut butter too! I try to make it softer (but not runny), so I can use it like a dip for veggies or baked pita bread triangles - if I use ########### pita certified for diabetics and home-made peanut butter, I sprinkle it with chopped up dried cranberries and it's a really good snack. As for almonds, never tried them any other way than whole or slivered, so waiting to find out how that butter came out.

Hi, Isabel ~ thanks for the ideas! Funny you should mention the almond butter, because I just got around to making it last week. And it turned out GREAT! However, I did have to switch from my little 2-cup Kitchen Aid chopper to the slightly more powerful 3-cup Cuisinart, which has both chop and grind buttons that you can alternate, and have it going back and forth to mix really well. But it was so worth it. I am afraid that I'll never be satisfied with any store-bought almond butter or peanut butter again, now that I know what the fresh tastes like. I just put the nuts in the mini-food processor, turn it on, and add as much peanut or almond oil as needed to help make it smooth and spreadable -- usually about a tablespoon of oil per cup of nuts. I even threw some Marcona almonds in, along with the regular Diamond (my favorite brand) -- both salted and unsalted. Added some No Salt, too, for extra potassium pizazz. Then just scrape it out of the bowl with a spatula, and into a container. Divine!!