Visitor
Type1Wife
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-27-2012

Antibiotics cause Diabetes

My husband received an overdose of antibiotics 17 years ago for E-Coli.  Two years later at the age of 43 he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  Three years after the diagnosis of diabetes he had his first heart attack.  His heart doctor told him that everyone who has Type 1 should be treated as if they will develop a heart condition. Less than a year ago he was told that his adult onset diabetes was a direct result of the overdose of antibiotics.  Laboratories give rats diabetes by overdosing them on antibiotics.  Recent tests showed that he does not have long to live.  Diabetes is an auto-immune disease.  The overdose of antibiotics ramped up his entire immune system causing diabetes, arthritis in every joint in his body, and heart disease.  His doctor just recently attended a seminar by Johns Hopkins University covering this issue.  Doctors MUST be made aware of this correlation.  I've recently met others with the same story.  Please, everyone, tell your doctors about this and let them know they need to find out and not listen to drug company rhetoric. - Wife

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Antibiotics cause Diabetes

[ Edited ]

Type1Wife wrote:

My husband received an overdose of antibiotics 17 years ago for E-Coli.  Two years later at the age of 43 he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.  Three years after the diagnosis of diabetes he had his first heart attack.  His heart doctor told him that everyone who has Type 1 should be treated as if they will develop a heart condition. Less than a year ago he was told that his adult onset diabetes was a direct result of the overdose of antibiotics.  Laboratories give rats diabetes by overdosing them on antibiotics.  Recent tests showed that he does not have long to live.  Diabetes is an auto-immune disease.  The overdose of antibiotics ramped up his entire immune system causing diabetes, arthritis in every joint in his body, and heart disease.  His doctor just recently attended a seminar by Johns Hopkins University covering this issue.  Doctors MUST be made aware of this correlation.  I've recently met others with the same story.  Please, everyone, tell your doctors about this and let them know they need to find out and not listen to drug company rhetoric. - Wife

Dear Type 1 Wife,

I am so sorry about your husband's illness that has come about; and that he developed diabetes. However, antibiotics do not cause diabetes. If you have links that provide clear results that they do, please post it. Viruses and such can be a trigger, but antibiotics are not the causative factor. However, some antibiotics will cause hypoglycemia and also does MASK hypoglycemia.

On the other hand, steroids have been known to cause mainly Type 2 diabetes.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Responder
edguillot
Total Posts: 18
Registered on: ‎07-17-2012

Re: Antibiotics MAY NOT cause Diabetes

One little problem with your theory. Diabetes predates the discovery of antibiotics by 5000 years.

EDGAR Type 2
OUT OF CONTROL
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Type1Wife wrote:

Correlation is not causation.

I  spent a little time searching on Google Scholar and Highwire to see if there is any support for your statement. I could find none. The nearest I could find is ambivalent at best:

Type 1 Diabetes: Etiology, Immunology, and Therapeutic Strategies

The bacterial composition of the intestine has long been acknowledged as an important variable affecting T1D development. Direct evidence exists in rodents, as diabetes is aggravated under specific pathogen-free conditions or upon administration of antibiotics (27). In other studies, however, administration of antibiotics prevents diabetes (68, 384). Perhaps autoimmunity ensues whenever the intricate microbial balance in the intestine is disturbed.

Can you direct me to any research papers on the subject please?

His doctor just recently attended a seminar by Johns Hopkins University covering this issue.

Possibly his doctor can supply the references?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Antibiotics MAY NOT cause Diabetes

edguillot wrote:

One little problem with your theory. Diabetes predates the discovery of antibiotics by 5000 years.

That's not really a valid refutation. I also have my doubts that antibiotics are a possible cause for type 1, but I don't think the original poster is claiming it causes all type 1, just some cases.

Prednisolone is a very recently developed medication; that does not prevent it from being a known cause of type 2.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
I_Fortuna
Total Posts: 22
Registered on: ‎02-18-2014

Corticosteriods are a trigger as I recently read.  Before I was DX T2 I had been given these shots for allergies.  I am sure other triggers can be traced to statins and other meds.  Does anyone have more info on this?

"Never give up, never surrender!"
Galaxy Quest