Frequent Visitor
bradcline
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎11-01-2011

ADA & HR 3472

Did the American Diabetes Association really lobby against HR 3472 that would have allowed reduction in insurance premiums based on healthy lifestyles and behavior?  This was "reported" on The Daily Show last night.

Why would the ADA really be against this??

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,395
Topics: 315
High Fives: 696
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: ADA & HR 3472

Brad,

We are just diabetics helping diabetics. The ADA makes these forums available for us. This does not mean that we have time in our busy lives, to keep up with what the ADA and everyone else does. Sorry. Below is the info for you to contact the ADA office, and they will guide you to the person, to whom you can ask your question.

American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311

1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383)

Got questions? Email us!
community@diabetes.org  or you could even go to the main ADA page, and have a look around at the site.

Trisha - on Type 1 board

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Visitor
bradcline

Trisha,

Thanks for the respone.  I understand that this discussion board isn't a direct line to the ADA. I was just wondering if anyone else knew about this and what people's thoughts were.

Brad

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,395
Topics: 315
High Fives: 696
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Hey Brad,

For myself, way to busy to keep up with any news right now. Besides that, too much of any news is way too depressing, and tends to roul up my witchy bitchy factor. And, I'm not much of a television watcher. Soooo, that's that. But no, seriously, I've not heard nor have I read anything. Maybe some of the others will chime in. Good luck in getting your info.

p.s. About the only news, I'm keeping up with right now, is for our general election in one week.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,926
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

bradcline wrote:

Did the American Diabetes Association really lobby against HR 3472 that would have allowed reduction in insurance premiums based on healthy lifestyles and behavior?  This was "reported" on The Daily Show last night.

Why would the ADA really be against this??

Brad

I can not find anything on the ADA website diabetes.org. That does not mean it did not happen.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Visitor
bradcline

Here is the link to the video on The Daily Show discussing the bill and ADA's opposition.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-31-2011/how-a-bill-doesn-t-become-a-law

ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. Brad is correct that the Association, along with the American Cancer Society and the American Heart Association, did oppose the bill. Here is an official statement from us, released the day afterward, which explains why this was the case:

Last night, The Daily Show with comedian Jon Stewart featured a segment that parodied the legislative gridlock in Congress by chronicling the story of a bill that did not become law. In its attempt to shed light on the often entertaining legislative process, the segment unfortunately took comedic license with the facts as they relate to the positions and actions of the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association.

The segment focused on H.R. 3472, a bill introduced in 2009 by Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper (D-PA) that was described as providing incentives through reduced health care premiums to people who exercise. In fact, the bill would have allowed employers and health insurers to reduce or raise health care premiums by thousands of dollars based on a person’s specific health condition, such as his or her blood pressure, smoking status, cholesterol, weight or blood sugar. (The word “exercise” was not in the bill.) The impact of these provisions would have been to penalize people with pre-existing health conditions and certain health risks who could not meet these targets by charging them more for their health care. In addition, the legislation would have applied to health plans sold in the individual market, where people do not have the support of a formal workplace wellness program to help them achieve these goals.

Our organizations are strong supporters of comprehensive wellness and health promotion programs that utilize incentives, such as discounted gym memberships, for employees who participate in them. However, we oppose the use of penalties based on a person’s health status, especially when the penalties are tied to health care premiums. Doing so could open the door to discrimination against people with pre-existing conditions, including those who are genetically predisposed to those conditions, and to those who face obstacles to accessing healthy food and a safe place to exercise. Most importantly, it could make health care less affordable for those who need it most.

The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association worked with Rep. Dahlkemper’s office to strengthen her well-intended legislation, and we carefully explained our position to The Daily Show as they were preparing the segment. Although the bill, like many other legislative proposals, did not pass Congress for numerous reasons, similar language was enacted into law under the Affordable Care Act.  We continue to work openly and constructively with lawmakers to encourage healthy lifestyles and improve access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans.

Hope that makes sense and sheds some light on the situation.

Cheers,

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
Frequent Visitor
bradcline

Matt,

Thank you for this response.  That definitely helps clarify the situation and the ADA's position.

Brad

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,926
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

Matt  

Thank you for posting this. It does make sense to me why the ADA and the other organizations opposed this bill.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety