Long Lost Member
bapadget
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎12-16-2010

Target "Up and Up" meter questions

Recently diagnosed type 2.  Of course, I rushed out an got a meter, a One Touch Ultra Mini.  It's been working fine, but I've been worried about the cost of strips.  ($25 copay for 50, and the out-of-pockets costs were off the hook.)

Anyway, poking around Target, I saw their Up and Up brand strips.  ($16 and change for 50)  Long story short, I bought it. 

In a day of testing side-by-side, the Target meter was reading anywhere from 2 below to 21 above the One Touch.  I was ready to conclude that the Target meter was less accurate.  On the other hand, the One Touch once gave me a 66 when I was feeling great. But this morning right out of bed I did three tests on each meter in a row.  The One Touch tested 84, 94, and 102.  The Target meter tested 107, 105, and 107.

On this data, I'm leaning towards going forward with the Target meter.  Thoughts?

Also, it appears that the meter I got may be a re-branded Wavesense Presto.  (Besides the meters and strips looking identical, Target point users to Wavesense for support.)  If so, would there be any problem using Wavesense Presto strips?

Bruce

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,928
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,057
Solutions: 116
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

You may well be right that they are identical, but I would like more confirmation.  Have you thought about either asking the Target pharmacist or calling the customer service number on the meter to ask them?

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Long Lost Member
bapadget

I emailed Wavesense.  I haven't heard back, but I wouldn't surprise me if company and/or regulatory policy would make them reluctant to endorse using one brand of strips with another brand of meter, even if they are identical.

And in after-lunch testing, the One Touch came back with 127 and 98, and the Target meter came back with 107 and 98.  Testing before dinner, One Touch had 95 and 80, Target had 94 and 100.  And just before bed, One Touch had 86 twice, and the Target meter had 85 and 88.  I think I'm leaning toward the Target meter.

Bruce
mollythed says:

You may well be right that they are identical, but I would like more confirmation.  Have you thought about either asking the Target pharmacist or calling the customer service number on the meter to ask them?
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,192
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Bruce - about comparing meters. The several  meters  available on the market today are made by different manufacturers  and thus have a slightly different method of working and so the variance in the numbers.   Some  meters still required test strips with coding, others are slower or faster in giving the results etc etc.   Personally, I do not like the One Touch at all; never worked well for me and very slow. 

Keep in mind that all meters have  about a 20% error factor.  The numbers you gave then are not that far apart, are they? 

My endo told me to pick a meter that  I liked and worked well for me, and stay with it.  He says it  is just easier all the way around and especially if you are new at  using a  meter.

If we have a very unusual test results like way high or very low this is when we test again in about 5 minutes or so with the same meter. The  2nd test is usually where I thought my test result should be based on the previous test a few hours previously.  Sometimes though it is continuously high or low,  and  then I know that I have goofed somewhere in my carb counting and not enough insulin!  For a Type 2 perhaps a bit too much too eat accidently? An adjustment in meds is indicated?   It happens as life with diabetes there  are always  changex just around the corner for us l!

I have three meters of the same brand and the numbers compared are  just about the same but not exactly (within the 20% error range)  I like the FreeStyle Lite but a bit expensive if one does not have insurance to cover the cost of the test strips.  

Hope this helps some....
Joan :-)) Type 1 Diagnosed November 1957
MDI:  Humalog and split dose Levemir
WAITING for a pump!

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
Long Lost Member
bapadget

I just got an email from Wavesense customer service, and they confirm that Presto strips can be used in the Up and Up meter. More shopping options better!
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,109
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

You dont mention if you have insurance or not, but one thing. If you do have it, check with them to see what their preferred brand of meter/strips is.  You would get a discount on buying them through the insurance program when you go with the one they prefer.  I believe they would be classified under durable medical equipment, but I'm not sure as to this.  Most times, the insurances will pay for the DME items where they wouldn't if it's not classified as that.  And if you don't have insurance, there are alot of links to programs that can help pay for supplies in the Adults with Type 1 forum.  This goes for all types of Diabetes, not just Type 1s.  Best of luck.

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Long Lost Member
mommasan
Total Posts: 59
Registered on: ‎05-15-2010

Hi Bruce,

I have been using a One Touch Ultra for a while now, but because I don't have insurance and pay for strips out of pocket, I went to Target and bought an Up and Up meter.  The cost of the strips can't be beat compared to the $200 + amount I was spending on the One Touch Blue ones; however, I decided to compare readings and have found the Target one to be confusing.  If my BG is lowish (not low as in hypo), both meters run close to the same number-- but if my number is higher than 120, the Target meter gives me a substantially different reading than the One Touch (ex. Today:  One Touch pp = 130/ Target pp- 158).  Who knows which one is the "true" reading?

-M.
Advisor
cycling2live
Total Posts: 113
Registered on: ‎08-14-2010

Diabetes Forecast Magazine just released its Consumer Guide.  Go to the ADA website.  You may find some useful info there.
Ed Tepper
Athlete/Member
Team Novo Nordisk www.teamnovonordisk.com
Personal Blog: www.cycling2live.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cycling2live
Opinions are mine and not of my team or any of its sponsors.
Long Lost Member
faustosdeborah
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎02-07-2011

One thing I have noticed, as I have both the One Touch and Up and Up meters also, the Up and Up meter is VERY sensitive to anything on your hands. It seems you can't even just clean with an alcohol swab. 

I always wash my hands thoroughly before testing now.  When I do that, the readings have always come out close for me...within 15 points. 
mommasan says:
Hi Bruce,

I have been using a One Touch Ultra for a while now, but because I don't have insurance and pay for strips out of pocket, I went to Target and bought an Up and Up meter.  The cost of the strips can't be beat compared to the $200 + amount I was spending on the One Touch Blue ones; however, I decided to compare readings and have found the Target one to be confusing.  If my BG is lowish (not low as in hypo), both meters run close to the same number-- but if my number is higher than 120, the Target meter gives me a substantially different reading than the One Touch (ex. Today:  One Touch pp = 130/ Target pp- 158).  Who knows which one is the "true" reading?

-M.
needlz
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-16-2014

Re: Target "Up and Up" meter questions

When I started using the Dexcom, I discovered the Agamatrix Wavesense Presto which I used to calibrate the CGM. I read apost in a forum that claimed these were the most accurate meters. I have to strongly agree. I am encouraged to use OneTouch strips with my Animas pump, but find the OneTouch to be inconsistent and unusably inaccurate. I always do take a glucometer reading when I get a blood draw and compare to the lab results. Every time, the Presto has been EXACTLY the same as the lab results, with the exception of one time there was a difference of 1 mg/dl. Also, when I start sensing slight hypoglycemia, I am always 83. Exactly. And generally, if I test several times in a row, each result is almost exactly the same. 

So these have been my experiences with the Presto. I swear by it and my endo swears about it because my meter readings are not automatically entered into the pump. Diabtetes management demands accurate numbers, so why would I even consider using a meter that does not give me the most accurate results?

Good to know that the Target brand is compatible with the Presto. I'm having a difficult time sourcing the Presto strips and a more difficult time convincing the insurance company to cover the strips. That are the most accurate. And less expensive. This happens when more $ go to marketing than to R&D. Go pharma!!