Responder
kassnicole
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎12-22-2009

Needing Pump, no insurance

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since age 2. I have just gotten the good to go on getting an insulin pump from my doctor, however my insurance that I have will not cover any of the expenses. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could make this pump more affordable?
Long Lost Member
brown.eyez
Total Posts: 74
Registered on: ‎05-06-2011

Who do u have medical coverage with?
-- Medtronic MiniMed Insulin Pump 723 - since Sept 2010
-- Continuous Glucose Monitor Sensor - since Sept 2010
-- Pumping Novolog Insulin & Loving it 

Diagnosed Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic - Due to Necrotizing Pancreatitis Surgery (removed 70% of Pancreas)

Responder
kassnicole

I have insurance through some company called Homeland Healthcare. I think they may be a part of another larger company. The only thing the insurance really helps with is hospital visits. They don't even cover my medications.
Long Lost Member
brown.eyez
Total Posts: 74
Registered on: ‎05-06-2011

Do you have a Kaiser Permenente where you live? If you do, they have a program called MFAP (Medical Financial Assistance Program) that might be able to help you pay for it. 

Some of the PUMP websites might have some kind of financial assistance available.

Also, there may be grants available for you?
-- Medtronic MiniMed Insulin Pump 723 - since Sept 2010
-- Continuous Glucose Monitor Sensor - since Sept 2010
-- Pumping Novolog Insulin & Loving it 

Diagnosed Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic - Due to Necrotizing Pancreatitis Surgery (removed 70% of Pancreas)

Responder
kassnicole

I have no idea what a Kaiser Permenente even is.

The pump that I am trying to get is through Medtronic. I talked to a woman there who said I could get financial assistance but even with that the price was still too high for me to pay.

I haven't thought about looking for any grants for it yet.. maybe I'll give that a try soon.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,426
Topics: 316
High Fives: 710
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Kassie,

Click on the link further down, in my signature area, titled "Prescription Assistance...including pump supplies". The one you want, within that thread, is way down at the bottom of the thread. You may be able to get help with your supplies. Good luck.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Long Lost Member
serena9990
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎08-16-2011

My daughter has omnipod,its wireless and she loves it you can buy the whole starter kit from diabetes wholesale.com for $600 without insurance,i was shocked at that because the same pump through insurance was 4500 and we pay our deductible,but the catch is like the meters the unit is less expensive but the pods are about 900 for 10,if u dont have insurance i think u should get anything at all to help with all your meds..best of luck i hope all goes well for you
Visitor
mstasha
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎01-09-2012

Re: Needing Pump, no insurance

[ Edited ]

[Selling medical equipment and/or medication on these forums is prohibited. ~ ADAMateo]

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,426
Topics: 316
High Fives: 710
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Needing Pump, no insurance

Mstasha,

You cannot sell your pump on this forum, and you will also need to remove the link.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~