Established Advisor
dw8888
Total Posts: 544
Registered on: ‎06-23-2012

Accu-chek nano. Vs.. Aviva...

[ Edited ]
I have used the Aviva for over 5 years and was fully satisfied. Especially with the multiclick lancet system. The nano came with the fastclik lancet system which was virtually painless. It has 6 lancets per cartridge vs. 8. The nano requires less blood, reads faster and is codeless. It is also almost half the size. It can flag before,after meal readings and has an 2 hr alarm feature. It communicated with the 360 software product just like the Aviva. Data from both meters were perfectly merged. I did have to upgrade the software. Putting the nano in communication mode is a little tricky to say the least. All in all I liked the Aviva, but I love the nano! Over the last few days, i turned up the lancet dial to get a sizeable droplet of blood. For each test, i Applied the sample at the same time to the nano and aviva to see my variances. So does the same droplet have different bg concentrations or are the coding systems the difference? Is one meter more accurate then the other? Here are the 8 test results over the last two days (nano,aviva): (118,105),(105,95),(107,113),(120,125),(102,112),(104,111),(101,100),(90,87).. The meter against meter varied (11%,9.5%,5%,4%,9.8%,6.7%,1%,3%) or 5%<=(4/8) 10%<=(3/8) 15%<(1/8)... What does one conclude from this? That meter readings vary with all other things being equal. They accurate enough to serve our purpose. By the way the average bg of the 8 readings. Nano = 105.875, Aviva =106. That was impressive and a relief.
Dennis
T2 25yrs
Metformin 2000, Levemir, Humalog mdi
A1c 7.1 @ 11/11, 6.6 @ 3/12 , 5.6@ 6/12
5.2 @9/12, 5.3@1/13,5.3@4/13,5.5@7/13,5.7@10/13,5.6@12/13, 5.6@2/14
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Accu-chek nano. Vs.. Aviva...

AccuChek is apparently phasing out the Multiclix in favor of the Fastclix.  I got an new Aviva a few weeks ago and it came with the Fastclix too.  I will continue to use my Multiclix until the lancing device breaks or until I use up my supply of Mulitclix lancets.  I am pretty sure the device will break before the lancets are gone:smileyvery-happy: (The lancets are not interchangeable.)

I doubt that there is any difference in accuracy between the two models.  Even when you saw a an 11% difference between 118 and 105, that might have been only a 5% or 6% variation from a hypothetical "true" reading of 111.  The fact that they end up with almost identical averages is reassuring too.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
Dennis1947
Total Posts: 802

well As I understand it and its proven itself to be true time and time again btwn my Meters and The Lab

Labs Are ave of +10% Higher

These Meters can be off by as much as 20%

They keep comming out with More Bells and Whisltes

But they are no more ccurate than they have been for yrs..

It would cost to  much to do that

And they keep changing the Meters so they can change the Test strips  and keep charging their Outrageous Prices for them

So what happens to the Old Meters and Test strips and Can't be Made Generic? God Forbid..

What a Racket..

Super Advisor
Coastal1
Total Posts: 649
Registered on: ‎07-12-2011

[ Edited ]

Well said, Dennis.   Yesterday, during a visit to the Boston Joslin Clinic they gave me a Nano when I asked about one I saw a tech using.   After many years of using the Accu-chek meters, I thought this latest one looked quite diferent and  I was excited to see your post before I'd even opened the box.  Great info! 

While it's nice that the Nano is so small (1.5"x2.5"),  I doubt that I will switch.  Carrying the strips separately takes just as much space as the Compact Plus, (slightly more, actually)which has 17 strips in each pre-load drum.  I like not having to put a new test strip in for each test.  Particularly if I'm out and about -- I want as few steps as possible to getting a reading fast.  The pre-loaded drum is what makes the AccuChek Compact such a great meter, in my opinion.  I do need to calibrate it with a lab draw, though.  I've never done that. 

As a footnote, I don't use any of the lancet devices.  To me, they're just not necessary and I think they're a waste of time.  Again, everyone's mileage varies -- but for me, I just use a BD lancet alone.  I prick my fingers plenty (at least 10x/day) -- and have for many, many years without ever using a lancet trigger device, and it works just fine.  (And so do  my fingers!)

Type 1A ~ Diagnosed 1967 (age 10)
MDI ~ Levemir & Humalog
Established Advisor
Betty32506
Total Posts: 353
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

I use the multiclix lancet and had not seen anything about the fastclix.  Reading these posts, and then looking at the AccuCheck site I can't see a difference that would make a difference.  They both have a drum of 6 lancets and the principle looks similar.  So, what's the advantage?

I always do a check when I have a blood draw and they are usually less than 5#s apart.  I have 2 meters and I think my newer one has the bigger variance but haven't checked it yet against the lab.  I have just checked the 2 against each other.

Betty

Super Advisor
Coastal1

[ Edited ]

Betty32506 wrote:

I use the multiclix lancet and had not seen anything about the fastclix.  Reading these posts, and then looking at the AccuCheck site I can't see a difference that would make a difference.  They both have a drum of 6 lancets and the principle looks similar.  So, what's the advantage?

I always do a check when I have a blood draw and they are usually less than 5#s apart.  I have 2 meters and I think my newer one has the bigger variance but haven't checked it yet against the lab.  I have just checked the 2 against each other.

Betty:  I'm not sure that I undestand your question, but the advantage between the Compact and the Nano is that each Accu-Chek Compact drum holds 17 strips.   So you can test 17 times without needing to load a new test strip.  With the Nano, you load each strip one at a time for each and every test.  Nothing to do with the multiclix or the fastclix (I don't use lancet devices -- never have -- I just use the  BD lancets on thier own).   Hope this clears things up. 

MDI ~ Levemir & Humalog
mollythed

I don't see any great advantage with the Fastclix either. 

They've swapped the position of the trigger and the mechanism that advances to a fresh lancet. That puts the advance lever up closer to the lancet and depth adjustment. where it can be operated with just a flick of the thumb. I think the effect of that is to make it easier and more intuitive to change lancets (and improve lancet sales :smileyvery-happy: ).  To trigger the device, you just push on the end.  It seems a little clumsy at first, because it changes the way you hold the device when you use it, but that's no big deal.  

It does have the same smooth, comfortable action as the Multiclix.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.

mollythed

Coastal1,

It sounds like you are comparing the new Nano to the Compact instead of the Aviva. 

Both the Nano and Aviva have individual strips while the Compact has a drum of 17 test strips. 

The Compact uses individual lancets with the Softclix lancet device while the Nano and Aviva use drums of 6  strips with the Multiclix lancet device.

"Molly"

Super Advisor
Coastal1

Yes Molly.  I have the new nano and was just explaining why I'm not going to use it.  You're right -- the thread title is about comparison to the Aviva.   I dont' have anything else to compare it to -- so I shouldn't written anything.  My bad.  :smileyembarrassed:

MDI ~ Levemir & Humalog
mollythed

[ Edited ]

No problem but just thought I should mention it for the benefit of people who aren't familiar with the Aviva and Compact, which have been Accuchek's main meters for the last few years. 

While I was looking to verify the lancet choices, I noticed one feature I don't think any of us has mentioned.  The Nano has a backlight.

"Molly"