mollythed
Total Posts: 5,582
Topics: 74
High Fives: 871
Solutions: 104
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: steel cut oats

Old fashioned rolled oats are steamed and then literally rolled flat, so that each grain of oats becomes a single flake.  Quick cooking oats and instant oatmeal are pretty much the same thing, maybe rolled a little flatter and more of the flakes are broken into smaller pieces, so they can absorb water faster as they cook.

Steel-cut oats are not rolled.  Instead, the grains of oats are cut into pieces.  It takes a lot longer for them to cook, and it takes a lot longer for us to gradually digest them, because each kernel is so much denser. 

If you are one of those people who can keep their blood glucose lower by spreading carbs out over meals and snacks, so they only have small amounts of carbs to deal with at any one time, you may have good luck with steel cut oats. 

On the other hand, if you are one who has had diabetes for quite some time, and you really need help from insulin or meds that spur the production of insulin because you no longer make much of your own insulin, you may find that your blood sugar doesn't spike quickly from the oats, but that the effect of the carbs in the oats is noticeable for several hours, as your food is gradually digested.  It's sort of like the pizza effect without the fat, or the delayed reaction that some people find with Dreamfield's pasta.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Responder
boudie
Total Posts: 29
Registered on: ‎11-01-2012

Lizzylou

My early morning fasting numbers are in the 150 - 160 range, a bit of exercise, then oatmeal for breakfast and am meds. My blood sugar is dropping pretty low around 11:00am.   58 a couple of days ago and frequently in the 60s.  I do not test after eating.   It seems my numbers drop quickly with any type of physical activity as long as I have food.   Funny thing is if I do not eat while working my numbers work up pretty high by mid-afternoon.

I really think that complex carbs with lots of fiber are an essential part of my diet. 

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,045
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

You should try testing after meals and see just how high you go from those meals. Starting the day out with those numbers, adding a oatmeal on top, and having the sort of drop your reporting a few hours later, I'm betting that oatmeal is spiking you higher than you think and causing you to have reactive hypoglycemia.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139

Boudie wrote:

Lizzylou

My early morning fasting numbers are in the 150 - 160 range, a bit of exercise, then oatmeal for breakfast and am meds. My blood sugar is dropping pretty low around 11:00am.   58 a couple of days ago and frequently in the 60s.  I do not test after eating.   It seems my numbers drop quickly with any type of physical activity as long as I have food.   Funny thing is if I do not eat while working my numbers work up pretty high by mid-afternoon.

I really think that complex carbs with lots of fiber are an essential part of my diet. 

I agree with what Bill said, it's probably a reactive hypo from going high then sinking low.  A good way to find out for sure is to test before and then one, two and maybe three hours after the oatmeal.  That will tell the tale. You could also be having the same problem with other foods.  Read the Testing 101 and All About Carbs links below. 

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
boudie

sounds like a plan    my doc never said anything about reactive hypoglycemia

Frequent Advisor
billsreef

Far too many docs don't give enough info, and don't give enough credit to what can be accomplished with good methodical testing. While I consider my doc good, the things I learned right here are the things that truly allowed me to bring my numbers into mostly non diabetic territory.

Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Ive found kids sugary cereal spikes me just the same as oatmeal. So, ive just cut it out, prefer a three egg omelet with habeneros, onions, very hot salsa, cheese, served on a lo carb tortilla.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
Responder
boudie

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, I did as you suggested and did the following tests  I guess I need to grab a sandwich with my numbers heading south.  I get shaky at 75!  I may want to retry this in the afternoon when the meds have been in my system for a while  meds are 4mg Glimiperide (Amaryl) and 250 mg metformin

11/20/20124:30143  
 8:45113 moderate activity, no meds
 9:15  Whole grain, slow cook oatmeal, cinnamon, splenda
 9:55 4g 250M 
 10:36113  
 11:3295  
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139

Boudie wrote:

Hey guys, I did as you suggested and did the following tests  I guess I need to grab a sandwich with my numbers heading south.  I get shaky at 75!  I may want to retry this in the afternoon when the meds have been in my system for a while  meds are 4mg Glimiperide (Amaryl) and 250 mg metformin

11/20/2012 4:30 143    
  8:45 113   moderate activity, no meds
  9:15     Whole grain, slow cook oatmeal, cinnamon, splenda
  9:55   4g 250M  
  10:36 113    
  11:32 95    

The med you take (Amaryl) puts a whole new slant on the situation.  Amaryl stimulates insulin production, it's pretty powerful.  In a way you could look at it as taking insulin (your own natural insulin in this case) and it could very well be that the dose is too strong and that's why you're going low so often after taking it.  You shouldn't have to eat to your medication, it should be a helper.  Feeling "low" at 75 is probably your body's way of adjusting down from higher numbers, it's a normal thing that happens in these cases.  The best thing to do is to try to just go with it so that your body can adjust more quickly.  At the most when you're feeling that way only eat 5 or 10 grams of carbs to bump it up just a small amount.  Always check though because the Amaryl could be sending you into a real low ( 65-70 ).  You might want to talk with the doctor about reducing or splitting the dose so you'll have less problems.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
billsreef

Hawkins77337 wrote:
Ive found kids sugary cereal spikes me just the same as oatmeal. So, ive just cut it out, prefer a three egg omelet with habeneros, onions, very hot salsa, cheese, served on a lo carb tortilla.

Sounds like my kind of breakfast, though I'm out of salsa :smileysurprised: