Occasional Contributor
butterfly1
Total Posts: 39
Registered on: ‎01-16-2011

starting Victoza today--got the wrong type of pen needle from pharmacy

My husband went to his dr yesterday for check of diabetes and he is excited to be changing from byetta (twice daily injection) to Victoza (once daily injection)  He took his last byetta dose this am and is planning on starting Victoza tonight.  The pharmacist at our local Walgreens sold us a package of BD pen needles.  We had used these just fine with Byetta and I thought that the Victoza pen would be similar but I went to the Victoza website to look things over just to be safe.  Victoza can't use BD pen needles.  As we had already opened the box and used one of them this am we are out $25 extra dollars for a box of the right needles.  That is a small price to pay for good blood sugars for my husband.  I just wanted to share this story in case someone else can benefit from what happened to us.  I guess the moral of the story to me is to never overly trust your pharmacy--don't be afraid to question what they give you.
Wife of T2 diabetic who has been on byetta since 1/11. He then switched to Victoza on 2/19/11.
mollythed
Total Posts: 6,107
Topics: 76
High Fives: 1,146
Solutions: 120
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Don't get too disappointed just yet.  According to this page at http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7002&id=10257 the BD needles will work just fine for Victoza. 

I have a feeling that when Novo Nordisk recommends Novofine needles at http://www.victoza.com/learn/prepare-for-injection.aspx because they are such a fine gauge and so painless, it is a sales pitch for their needles more than medical advice.  At best it seems to be designed to comfort people who have never injected anything themselves that the needles are small and relatively pain free.  You don't need their brand for that to be true.

If anybody else has had a different experience, I would like to hear about it, but meanwhile I an pretty sure the BD needles will work.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Occasional Contributor
butterfly1

Thank you so very much for looking that up.  I was just looking at the BD box and didn't think to look online.  You saved my husband and I $25 for a new box of needles.  We appreciate you very much!
Wife of T2 diabetic who has been on byetta since 1/11. He then switched to Victoza on 2/19/11.
Frequent Responder
senator2214
Total Posts: 76
Registered on: ‎10-19-2010

I posted a while back that the BD needles will fit almost all pens the list is on the box. Victoza is not listed. but dont give up BD fits give them a try it wont hurt it is a win situation.
If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself
Occasional Contributor
butterfly1

Thanks Senator!  I just tried the needles on the Victoza pen to prime it for tonight and they do fit.  I didn't see your post from before and so I appreciate your repeating it for me.  Have a good day.
Long Lost Member
dstrey
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-10-2013

Re: starting Victoza today--got the wrong type of pen needle from pharmacy

That is not true. I have been taking Victoza and using BD pen needles for 2 years. The manufacturer is always going to tell you to use whatever brand they are financially connected to and profit from. BUT you can use any pen needle that you like.