(anon)
Total Posts: 0

sleepy after eating?

For me, if I eat too many carbs, within 1.5 hrs. I am really sleepy. But I do agree with Morris.
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

sleepy after eating?

psb, you've received some great answers - just wondering if you've started doing some testing......

You know - it's easy to say "woe is me" about all the foods you are "giving up", however there are many more foods you can eat, than not - if fact NOTHING is forbidden - it's all a matter of quantity and time.

For me it was easy to go right to low-carb eating - the horror to me is the thought of losing weight piece by piece, one toe at a time. Or going blind. Or dialysis for 3 days per week. Dying of a major stroke or heart attack would be much more preferable, but diabetes is mean like that - it likes to kill you slowly if you don't pay attention.

Thankfully I was never in the land of 'De Nile' - my compliance started here at day one, almost 2-years ago at the age of 54.

Sure.. I'm not perfect - there are times I go a little off the rails, but never too much. For example: Last week I was on stay-cation to reassemble my remodelled kitchen in time for a dinner party Saturday night. I was working from 6am until after dinner (sometimes 2am to get a project finished). One thing didn't change though - even though the only real meal I ate was breakfast, I still had plenty of grazing foods on hand and made sure I ate something at least every 2-hours and drank my usual gallon of water during the day/night. AND I tested more often than my usual 4x/day.

Hang in there - change is easier than you think when you do it to save your life!

Cheers,
Xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

sleepy after eating?

psb1954 (9/26/2010)
I just read some replies to one of the questions asked here and someone commented that they don't get sleepy after meals when they eat properly. For me it's just the opposite. When I go several hours without eating, that's when I get sleepy, after I eat something it wakes me up. I have had friends say they get sleepy after eating a large meal and I always wonder why it's different for me. I have never before thought of testing when I'm feeling tired or sleepy. I was just wondering if anyone else reacts this way or am I just an oddball?

Thanks

If you're under the impression that eating properly involves skipping meals for hours and hours on end, please understand that this is not "proper eating" for a diabetic. Test after you've skipped meals like that and you'll likely discover that your numbers are way up...and those numbers going way up are what make you feel tired and/or sleepy. If you eat too many carbs, your number go up and you feel sleepy. If you don't eat at all, your numbers go up and you feel sleepy....it's in the numbers. Test, test and test again. You'll see a pattern.

You do have to grieve for the way of life you had before -- that's normal. Just don't take too long in the process, because for every day that you spend in denial, you're doing real and serious damage to your body. As has been pointed out, it's not a quick process, and the damage isn't always immediately fatal. It can just make you wish it was. Take care of yourself. Like you said...if not you, then who?

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Frequent Responder
psb1954
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎07-07-2010

sleepy after eating?

I did put some almonds in a plastic baggie to take to work with me Monday and I had some on each one of my breaks and I was able to pass up the fast food resturants that I passed on my way home. I did not do so well on Tues. night. But I'm off work today and it's raining so I usually don't make a point to leave the house when I'm not working. Plus I have a small piece of salmon defrosting and some greenbeans and salad fixings (even fresh spinaich which I can't stand cooked) but I like it raw in salads so I have that planned for dinner.

I have also started carrying my meter with me to work in case I don't feel well so I can test and see what #s I get. I'm still having trouble with exercise but I keep trying. Last night I parked farther away from the building at work and even without trying hard I walked over 3000 steps. Now if I will just go for a walk in the morning I can get much closer to the 5000 steps that my doctor advises.

And it didn't click with me before that if I go hours w/o eating anything that my blood sugar could spike. That would be sort of like dawn phenomenon only not overnight, I assume. But that does make sense.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Diagnosed Type 2 March 2010
Metformin, 1000 mg am & pm
Amaryl 2 mg am & pm when my bg is 140 or above
Simvastatin 40 mg
Enalapril/HCTZ10 25 mg in am
Geodon 60 mg pm
Adderall for ADD (diagnosed at age 56)
Ambien cr 12.5 mg
Lexapro 30 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Maprotiline 50 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Levothyroxine 150 mcg in am
Klonopin 2-3 times daily as need for anxiety
Vesicare 10 mg
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,619
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,442
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

sleepy after eating?

psb1954 (9/29/2010)
I have also started carrying my meter with me to work in case I don't feel well so I can test and see what #s I get.

So, what numbers did you get?
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Responder
psb1954
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎07-07-2010

sleepy after eating?

I was busy all day long and would think about testing but I was in the middle of something every time I thought about doing it and then would forget. I just tested, 8:50 pm and it's 146.
Diagnosed Type 2 March 2010
Metformin, 1000 mg am & pm
Amaryl 2 mg am & pm when my bg is 140 or above
Simvastatin 40 mg
Enalapril/HCTZ10 25 mg in am
Geodon 60 mg pm
Adderall for ADD (diagnosed at age 56)
Ambien cr 12.5 mg
Lexapro 30 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Maprotiline 50 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Levothyroxine 150 mcg in am
Klonopin 2-3 times daily as need for anxiety
Vesicare 10 mg