lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,988
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: numbness and burning in toes and fingers

BTW, that test is not fun. Its a series of low voltage electric shocks.

You mean you didn't get the second part with the big long needles???  I refuse to ever have that test again, I almost killed the tech after the needles were stuck between my toes.  He's lucky he lived to tell the tale!:smileymad:

Lizzy   

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
KCWill
Total Posts: 25
Registered on: ‎04-24-2012

Well I read all of the information on all of the links.  I did go to a Diabetes class a couple of years ago and we did talk about carbs but I don't remember how many carbs I can have.  That has probably changed since I have lost 60 pounds in the past 10 months or so due to a severe bacterial infection in my intestines.  What's frightening about all of this is that it didn't make any difference what I ate until about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Then all of a sudden I'm sick as hell and trying to play catch up and not really knowing what happened.  I'm afraid to eat anything, not knowing what I can safely eat, but I'm slowly learning and hungry in the mean time.  I'm also trying to follow guidelines for a diet for GERD or reflux.  The numbness that started after the cup of coffee, with a well rounded teaspoon of sugar in it, has not gone away for the most part.  I'm sure it was compounded by the bowl of frosted flakes I had with it.  I think I did better, through the day, with my diet but I feel like I'm flying blind.  I don't want to cause any more nerve damage, and I don't want to make my GERD worse.  My GERD seems to get worse when my BG is high.  I guess I'll go up and try to find a snack.  I may have a bowl of an off brand of cheerios.  I don't know what's in it because the bag was thrown out when it was put into a container.  It's what I had for dinner and I seemed to do OK.  I'll try testing my BG before and after and see what happens.  More to follow I'm sure.

Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

What??? No thank you!! I will just discuss with doc about symptoms i think. Not miserable enough for that one! Poor Lizzy toes! KC, hang in there. I also have gerd and have found that by eating smaller meals, with low carbs has helped a lot. You have found the right place for information and consolation. Go to Lizzy's lounge and read up on "getting started" ... you will soon be on your way to feeling better. What do you take for gerd? I take omeprazole (spell?) It has helped a great deal. Take care, Lisa
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Responder
KCWill

Hi LisaMarie.  I'm sorry.  Thank-you very much for all of your help.  I want to thank everybody for all their help.  I guess I'm self absorbed with everything that's going on.  I had the bowl of cereal I mentioned but after I ate it I fell asleep, so I didn't get to test my BG.  When I woke up this morning I decided to try another cup of coffee again but I tested my BG while drinking it, and it was 168.  So I stopped drinking the coffee.  I had only had 2 or 3 swallows which makes me think that the bowl of cereal I ate before that was the cause.  It must have had sugar in it.  I'm going to have to do several things very quickly with my diet and food supply if I don't want any more nerve damage.  My toes and feet are still numb from yesterday.  I also noticed some changes in my mental status, which scares me.  The things people have shared about the things they eat, like the eggs, and how they cooked it is very cool and very helpful, I'm not much of a cook.  I told you about my BG earlier this morning and an hour later I tested it and it was 82.  I'm all over the map.  I thought at that point I could try another cup of coffee with a small amount of sugar and I'll test my BG shortly.  I have called my Dr.'s office and sent them email as well.  I asked about getting another BG monitor, going to classes again, and seeing an Endo.  The nightmare continues.

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,142
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

kcwill wrote:

Hi LisaMarie.  I'm sorry.  Thank-you very much for all of your help.  I want to thank everybody for all their help.  I guess I'm self absorbed with everything that's going on.  I had the bowl of cereal I mentioned but after I ate it I fell asleep, so I didn't get to test my BG.  When I woke up this morning I decided to try another cup of coffee again but I tested my BG while drinking it, and it was 168.  So I stopped drinking the coffee.  I had only had 2 or 3 swallows which makes me think that the bowl of cereal I ate before that was the cause.  It must have had sugar in it.  I'm going to have to do several things very quickly with my diet and food supply if I don't want any more nerve damage.  My toes and feet are still numb from yesterday.  I also noticed some changes in my mental status, which scares me.  The things people have shared about the things they eat, like the eggs, and how they cooked it is very cool and very helpful, I'm not much of a cook.  I told you about my BG earlier this morning and an hour later I tested it and it was 82I'm all over the map.  I thought at that point I could try another cup of coffee with a small amount of sugar and I'll test my BG shortly.  I have called my Dr.'s office and sent them email as well.  I asked about getting another BG monitor, going to classes again, and seeing an Endo.  The nightmare continues.

Here's what I am seeing in all the red highlights, you are not counting your carbs-period!  That bowl of cheerios could have as much as 75 carbs all by itself, maybe more.  Sugar is just another carb and we have to monitor all carbs.  What you are doing is having a high carb breakfast washed down with even more carbs in the sugared coffee.  That will cause your BG to rise too high, then fall quickly.  Then you bump it back up again with more sugar in your coffee.  You simply have to learn where the carbs are hiding and don't eat more than your body can handle.  If you test right before you eat, and again at about 1 hour after you will have a better idea of what that amount of carbs is doing to your BG.

Here is what my day looks like carbwise, you will have to find out how to handle your day:

Breakfast, which is usually the most carb sensitive meal of the day is around 15gr carbs.

Lunch is around 30-35gr carbs.

Dinner is around 35gr carbs
Snacks-if needed are around 10-25gr carbs.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

kcwill wrote:

Hi LisaMarie.  I'm sorry.  Thank-you very much for all of your help.  I want to thank everybody for all their help.  I guess I'm self absorbed with everything that's going on.  I had the bowl of cereal I mentioned but after I ate it I fell asleep, so I didn't get to test my BG.  When I woke up this morning I decided to try another cup of coffee again but I tested my BG while drinking it, and it was 168.  So I stopped drinking the coffee.  I had only had 2 or 3 swallows which makes me think that the bowl of cereal I ate before that was the cause.  It must have had sugar in it.  I'm going to have to do several things very quickly with my diet and food supply if I don't want any more nerve damage.  My toes and feet are still numb from yesterday.  I also noticed some changes in my mental status, which scares me.  The things people have shared about the things they eat, like the eggs, and how they cooked it is very cool and very helpful, I'm not much of a cook.  I told you about my BG earlier this morning and an hour later I tested it and it was 82.  I'm all over the map.  I thought at that point I could try another cup of coffee with a small amount of sugar and I'll test my BG shortly.  I have called my Dr.'s office and sent them email as well.  I asked about getting another BG monitor, going to classes again, and seeing an Endo.  The nightmare continues.

Lisa, a class will be very good for you. You will learn how to count carbs and how to restrict them and test afterwards to see how the carbs in the meal affected your blood sugar.

I would also suggest that you buy and inexpensive Carb Counter paperback book as well as go on sites like nutritiondata.com or calorieking.

You will be very surprised at how many grams of carbohydrate you are eating. Of course you fell asleep after that bowl of cereal and sugared coffee. Most of us do after a meal that is too high in carbs.

It does not matter whether the cereal had sugar in it or not. The grains alone are starch and that starts to turn to sugar even in your mouth as your saliva mixes with it. Then the rest of the digestive process quickly turns it into blood sugar.

Start right now with the link that Lizzy gave you to her blog, check the labels of the foods in your house, and go online to nutritiondata.com to find out what foods without labels have in them....

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

Come back as often as you want and ask about the foods we eat, how we cook them and bring any other questions you want to.

Once you start choosing the right foods to eat I think you will find that you will feel better than you have in years. That has been the experience of most of us.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Responder
KCWill

Well it was time for lunch so I tried to figure something out from the places that are around here.  I picked Subway and I ordered a 6" Club.  I got conflicting information about the number of carbs between their site and NutritionData.com.  The only thing I had to eat prior to this were 4 pre-made peanut butter and crackers.  I tested my BG before I left and it was 125 I think, so I felt like I was already starting another uphill battle.  I also found the lancette in my kit is broken and it makes it almost unable to test with. and I started having pain in my right abdomen and somewhat in the stomach area.  Well I just tested and found the cap over the needle in the lancette is gone but I have another cap that will stay on and I came up with a BG of 142, about 10 minutes after eating.  I have to go do something so I'll test it again when I get back.  It has been very difficult for me to keep my BG in range.  By the way what does everybody drink.  I drink mostly water but like other things.  I don't know what's left out there.