Responder
KCWill
Total Posts: 25
Registered on: ‎04-24-2012
Helpful Response

numbness and burning in toes and fingers

I was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic 2 or 3 years ago and then put on Metformin sometime after that.  Well, yesterday I was having a Gastric Emptying Test to determine if severe heartburn, that started about 3 weeks ago, might be related to my diabetes.  The only thing I had eaten  yesterday, is the eggs and two peices of toast they gave me for the test.  After I finished the test, about 5 hours later, I noticed how good I felt, better than I have for quite a while.  No headache, no numbess or tingling, and no heartburn.  Well I decided on my way out to get a bottle of apple juice.  By the time I got half way home, after drinking the juice, both my fingers and toes were very numb and tingling and I had a headache.  I had something like this happen once before about three weeks ago, along with the numbness and tingling, but I  also had severe heartburn, and a headache.  At the time we equated this to a change in GERD medication, and the numbness due to possibly Diabetic Neuropathy.  So, my Dr.'s were looking at my Diabetes, as a possible cause for the neuropathy and trying to rule out other causes for this, and Gastropareses caused by Diabetes.  I belived the headache was due to my Diabetes as well.  Well when I got home I checked my blood sugar and it was only 92.  The first time this happened, my blood sugar was over 200.  The numbess started wearing off but my headache was getting worse and I wound up taking medication I have for migraines and for nausea.  Well, I fell asleep and woke up and the numbess and tingling were gone and I only had a mild headache.  I decided to have a cup of coffee to see if that would get rid of the rest of my headache, as it has in the past.  I normally put a lot of sugar in my coffee with no adverse affects.  Well, my headache went away but before I finished half of my coffee, both my hands and feet were very numb again!  To make a long story shorter, I think the numbness, severe heartburn and headaches are due to a rapid deterioration in my Diabetes.  I'd like to get some feedback from others what they think.  Thanks.

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Re: numbness and burning in toes and fingers

[ Edited ]

When you consume carbs, whether it comes from apple juice or sugar and twinkies, as a diabetic, your blood sugar rises to harmful levels.  Different people have different feelings with high blood sugars, some people get tired and apparently you have your own symptoms, headaches and presumably aggravation of your neuropathy.  But you must understand, your high blood sugars are not only making you feel bad, they are harmful.  And it is very likely that this symptom of numbness when your blood sugar is high is just another sign that harm is being done.

Please take this as a wake up call.  You need to get your blood sugar under control.  You need to test several times a day.  You need to stop eating all those carbs and get your diet in order.  You need to start exercising.   And if that doesn't work you need to increase your medication.  Diabetes is not some little thing where you can take a pill and make it go away.  You are going to have to take real action and make some life changes in order to maintain your health.  There are lots of people here who can help, you just have to ask.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,854
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

To make a long story shorter, I think the numbness, severe heartburn and headaches are due to a rapid deterioration in my Diabetes.

i wouldn't put it that way, but they were probably due to a rapid rise and fall of the numbers due to what you ate and drank.

A lot of sugar in a drink, Apple Juice, these are things will high amounts of carbohydrates, and carbs are what make you numbers rise.   Were you ever taught anything about carb control?  Testing?  It looks like you need a fast crash course.

Please click on the link below, which will take you to a post detailing basic informations that you need:

Getting Started

Come back and ask any questions that you might have.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,711
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

As much as I complain about my "D" classe...The one thing the CDE said was that for us Juice was OFF the menu except as a means to treat a low.  I would echo what Lizzy said about carb control leading to tight BG control.  Please read over her getting started links and ask questions if you want.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I would suspect that if you had tested a half hour after drinking the apple juice, you would have seen the same 200 range, or close to it, that you had seen the first time you had those symptoms.Apple juice can cause a very rapid increase, followed by a decrease to 92 by the time you got home, due to the fact that your insulin takes a while to catch up to your blood glucose levels.  And the same thing may have happened with the sugar in the coffee--how much did you put in it?

The good thing is that you seem to experience this neuropathy only briefly, and you may have the key that explains when and how it happens.  Which means that if you  avoid those situations, you can probably prevent it from becoming a permanent condition.  Believe me, that is worth any effort you could make in that direction...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

Hi all, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, as i believe KC would be interested in the answer also. Can diabetic neuropathy be clinically diagnosed? I have had similar reactions to over loads of carbs. The tingling and numbness can extend to arms and shoulders with twitching and pulling. Restless legs but also in arms .... very disconcerting at midnight! I have a doc appt coming up next week and would like to get that checked out. Maybe try that ALA drug I've seen mentioned.
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528

It happens even when carbs were not overdone too.
Take Care,
Lisa

As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Hi LisaMarie, yes you can be tested for neuropathy....

http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/diabetic-neuropathy-exams-and-tests

you may have to past that url in or just google ''tests for neuropathy''

I believe they do an electromyogram and nerve conduction tests.

Good luck with your doctors appointment,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,854
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

LisaMarie528 wrote:
It happens even when carbs were not overdone too.

That's because the changes that occur in the nerves don't just go away when your numbers go down.  it takes time with consistent numbers for the changes to start to reverse.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528

Thank you Dianne and Lizzy. I viewed the websit, and I may have already had that test. I saw a neurologist for the tingling and numbness in feet and shins a while back, before dx as Diabetes. No nerve damage then, exray revealed heel spurs so we thought that was the problem. I also had it for hands ten yrs ago for carpel tunnel. BTW, that test is not fun. Its a series of low voltage electric shocks. So, if thats the same thing, ughh. Lol And Lizzy I was reading in your lovely lounge today all about neuropathy so i thinnk i better understand it. Anyhow, thanks again and hugs to you both for all your time and efforts helping all uf us!
Take Care,
Lisa

As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9