Long Lost Member
bethjoy
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎03-25-2010

numb heels: what to do?

Today for the first time I felt some numbness in my heels. At first I thought I was cutting off circulation by how I was sitting. That was not so. So after about a half hour of the numbness, I took my readings. It was 22 points over the recommended top range. This is the highest reading I've ever had.
Same dinner as several days ago when post-prandial was within range. At present, no thirst or IBS.
I am about 4 months old as a diabetic.
My questions:
--Should I be concerned or is this to be expected?
--Why is this happening and what should I do about it
PS It's been about 2.5 hours and the numbness persists but is about 30% less.

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

I don't know what is going on with your heel, but it doesn't fit the typical pattern for neuropathy.

Here's what usually happens with diabetes. High blood sugar is hard on blood vessels, especially the microscopic little capillaries that move blood around to the most distant parts of our bodies. When those tiny blood vessels are damaged and stop working, there is not enough fresh blood supply left to feed and care for the nerves in those remote locations. That's why neuropathy usually shows up first in toes and fingertips. The same thing can happen internally, in places like the kidneys, the retinas of our eyes, and within the heart, which also depend on those tiny blood vessels. Right there, you have the beginnings of the the most common complications of diabetes: neuropathy, renopathy, retinopathy, and cardiopathy.

It's not the sort of thing you would notice in connection with a single incident of high blood sugar, or even a few incidents. Rather, it's the buildup of tiny little bits of damage over month and years.

In the early stages, your body can heal itself and avoid ongoing damage. Even if you have advanced to the state, for instance, of some numbness or pain in your toes, good blood glucose management can allow blood vessels to heal, and nerve endings to slowly regenerate.

If I were you, I'd be looking for some other cause for your symptoms.
Long Lost Member
bethjoy
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎03-25-2010

I am relieved and good to know.
I am an avid runner and have experienced foot numbness in past years (pre-diagnoses) but usually in very cold weather on an extended run, or, when my running shoes are about to go "dead".
I have one toe-nail that started to grow in black&blue after a race a couple of years ago. But it's clearing up now.
I'll see what's up.
Thanks.
PS I have had numbness and tingling in my fingers and hands for years, pre-diagnosis. I always ascribed this to mild carpal tunnels or some such as I do work alot on the computer.
Responder
75Janice
Total Posts: 44
Registered on: ‎04-30-2010

Long before I had diabetes, my life was ruined by chronic pain. In fact, I should not be alive it was so bad. For some unknown reason I developed neuropathy early. My other pain is in remission. The thought of neuropathy terrorized me.

So far it is tolerable. There is medication available -usually Lyrica or Neurontin. Other members report positive results with Alpha Lipoic Acid, which is very inexpensive. Lyrica is expensive.
The numbness progresses. So far I can deal with it.

The best treatment is to keep bs low. My doctor warned me against peaks. The A1Cs were all right but if it is high or low but averages all right, damage is done.

I hope I am reassuring you b/c I was absolutely frantic.

Janice