Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 231
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012
Helpful Response

metamucil...help or not? that is the question

I thought I would try this for a while to see if the extra fiber helped keep the bg lower. Been doing it for a week. Before that I was using Benefiber. My sister said she liked Metamucil better because it tasted like orange juice. Well, since oj is on my no no list, this sounded good. No noticible bg difference. However, I've gained 3 lbbs and feel gassy and bloated. So, sissy is gonna get a free large size container of Metamucil. It didnt taste great either. Tbe Benefiber doesn't taste gritty nor does it bloat me up. Anybody have any comments on fiber supplement? I am mad about the lbs too! Been keeping up the program this week as far as diet so that is not fair. Twice around the block this week.
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
Lost 20 pounds .... Working on the next 20!
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: metamucil...help or not? that is the question

LisaMarie, as far as I know Metamucil will not lower you blood sugar at all and many of the flavors and brands have sugar in them.

I do think that it is advertised to help lower cholesterol. I think that is because it has the water soluble fiber called psyllium or something like that.

Google Metamucil and blood glucose, see what you find.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,677
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,846
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

LisaMarie528 wrote:
I thought I would try this for a while to see if the extra fiber helped keep the bg lower. Been doing it for a week. Before that I was using Benefiber. My sister said she liked Metamucil better because it tasted like orange juice. Well, since oj is on my no no list, this sounded good. No noticible bg difference. However, I've gained 3 lbbs and feel gassy and bloated. So, sissy is gonna get a free large size container of Metamucil. It didnt taste great either. Tbe Benefiber doesn't taste gritty nor does it bloat me up. Anybody have any comments on fiber supplement? I am mad about the lbs too! Been keeping up the program this week as far as diet so that is not fair. Twice around the block this week.

Hi Lisa,

I don't think it would cause weight gain, maybe it's fluid.  Here's some more "fiber" information, but lowering BG has to do with fiber with food:  click below

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/04/17/fiber-is-your-friend/#more-435

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528

Thank you Diane and Lizzy. I did google metamucil and lowering bg. I found quite a bit on it. My problem with bloating could be that i needed to start with a little at first then build up. I will back off a couple days till i feel better. Then try a half dose. See if that keeps me regular without problems. There were some credible looking reports stating psyllium husk taken with full glass of water will reduce the post prandial bg rise. I am working off my Nook E Reader so i cannot paste in the site. Cant vouch for their truth or not. But I will give it another trial week or two. Won't hurt. Might help. I will post my success or failure. :smileyhappy: And maybe all those cinnamon muffins made with Barbs BAKING MIX added to the digestive disturbance. Maybe a little tooo much fiber. Although my bg has been doing well. Just not spectular. Those muffins and pancakes did not spike me at all. I cant eat them all at once, a third at a time. Because one batch makes a huge muffin. Except the batch of pancake. I ate that. Man that was gooood! It onlly uses 1/4 cup so not as large a serving. Anyhow thanks for the info and enjoy your weekend!!!! I have 18 month old Ivy Rose with me and ... talk about spectacular..she is the ultimate ham. She is my motivation to keep healthy.
Take Care,
Lisa

As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528

>I meant to say that the metamucil with water should be taken right before the meal to work. When i get to a pc i will paste in the link to the report. It was the American Society for Clinical Nutrition that did the study and report.
Take Care,
Lisa

As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I'm wondering if it was a regular or sugar-free version.  I think both are available.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528

It is sugarfree. 20 calories, 5 gr carb , 3 gr fiber. You're supposed to take 1 tsp 3 times a day. I was only taking it twice. It did not impact my bg adversely. I am going to try before meals to see if i eat less and if the post prandial is anylower. Will let you know. The 3 lbs may not be due to the metamucil. I did develope an infatuation with blue cheese dressing. While not high in carbs it is high in caleries. Or it could be the full moon. Who knows with tghe scale.
Take Care,
Lisa

As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,696
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,223
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

I did google metamucil and lowering bg. I found quite a bit on it.

Interesting. Would you mind posting some of the urls? I have never seen any claims for a blood glucose benefit, nor have I noticed that effect myself.

My problem with bloating could be that i needed to start with a little at first then build up. I will back off a couple days till i feel better. Then try a half dose. See if that keeps me regular without problems. There were some credible looking reports stating psyllium husk taken with full glass of water will reduce the post prandial bg rise. I am working off my Nook E Reader so i cannot paste in the site. Cant vouch for their truth or not. But I will give it another trial week or two. Won't hurt. Might help. I will post my success or failure. :smileyhappy: And maybe all those cinnamon muffins made with Barbs BAKING MIX added to the digestive disturbance. Maybe a little tooo much fiber. Although my bg has been doing well. Just not spectular. Those muffins and pancakes did not spike me at all. I cant eat them all at once, a third at a time. Because one batch makes a huge muffin. Except the batch of pancake. I ate that. Man that was gooood! It onlly uses 1/4 cup so not as large a serving. Anyhow thanks for the info and enjoy your weekend!!!! I have 18 month old Ivy Rose with me and ... talk about spectacular..she is the ultimate ham. She is my motivation to keep healthy.

Consider an alternative. Metamucil is actually just flavoured expensive psyllium husks in a liquid. I buy the psyllium husks from a health food store and add them sparingly to other foods; for example: Psyllium, Fibre, Muesli and Nuts

It does not bloat me but does wonders for morning regularity. Possibly a small amount could be included in Barb's baking mix, but I've never experimented with it that way. It can become gluey if used to excess in some recipes.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,567
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

Alan,

I found a few links to LiveStrong and The University of Maryland....

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/psyllium-000321.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/360305-psyllium-and-diabetes/

Both of these Links seem to rely on this study that was Published in the NEJM

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200005113421903?hits=10&andorexactfulltext=and&FIRSTINDEX=1...&

This is a interesting subject.....

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528

I found the report from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that came from this link. Hope it works. 

http://www.ajcn.org/content/53/6/1431.full.pdf+html?sid=77fafe73-05c6-40f3-ad49-7fa1c525483f

or

http:/www.ajcn.org

I have a pdf of the report that I have (hopefully) attached.

There is another article on the Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, www.jdcjournal.com,

http://www.jdcjournal.com/search/quick

The Metamucil I take is in powder form.  It is sugar free and orange flavored.  The reason I chose it was because of the orange flavor, kind of like orange juice.  In tasting it, not so much.  But will keep testing to see if it lowers the spikes like these articles say. 

Carl, you found some of the other sites I looked at as well.

There was plenty out there on it, and yes, it is interesting.  I don't there there are any miracles here, but perhaps a chance for some improvement on the bg numbers.

Alan, you are much more savvy on these things, so you may have more to say about the sites and reports.  You're input is always appreciated. I'm a relative newby here.

I'm giving it a week or two and will keep a chart and let you how or if it affects the post-prandial bg's.

Take care,

Lisa

Take Care,
Lisa

As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5