Advisor
LatheP
Total Posts: 115
Registered on: ‎01-11-2011

Re: juicing with diabetes

Jim,

I learned this one the hard way to...in fact it may have helped bring on my T2. I was juicing quite a bit prior to my diagnosis.

I totally agree...that the amount of fruits and veggies that you can drink is far greater than what you would want to eat. The problem is that if you are not careful you can consume way to much sugar without the insoluble fiber you need to slow its absorption.  For example: To have a nice big glass of orange juice you will need to juice five or six oranges. But consuming five or six oranges without the critical fiber component is three or four more oranges worth of sugar then ANYONE should be eating at a time...yup, even non diabetics.

Your highest post meal sugar level was 235 because your body is getting the sugar to fast...without the insoluble fiber to slow it down.

Lathe Poland
Director/Producer
"Carb-Loaded: A Culture Dying to Eat"
Type 2 - Diagnosed : Oct of 2010 (A1C 8.3).
Stopped medication: Oct 2011
Latest A1C - 5.4 : Mar 2013
Managed with diet.

Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Pureed foods digest faster.  This is true even for nonstarchy vegetables.  I do eat some soups made with pureed vegetables.  Some don't raise my glucose much.  Others raise it quickly.   I personally have no problem with pureed cooked pumpkin or summer squash.  Pureed butternut does raise my glucose more than I want.  Tomato sauce can be a problem for me too.  The only way to know for sure is to test.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Why would you want to juice foods and lose all the chewability and fibre which slows down your eating and gives you vital nutrients you miss out on in liquified foods.. unless you have to?

I gave up fruit juice at Dx, however I found Ocean Spray Diet cranberry which has 2g carbs per 8oz glass and it's delicious!  I drink it as a treat, not as a food, so don't really care about the nutrients so much.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Responder
sniperjim
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎02-18-2013

What if I take fiber with my juice? Would that help?
Advisor
LatheP
Total Posts: 115
Registered on: ‎01-11-2011

Good question.

The kind of fiber that you add is soluble fiber. It is part of the absorption slowing puzzle...but you need the naturally occuring insoluble fiber to grab onto the soluble fiber. The combination of these two types of fiber literally form a coating on the lining of your stomach. They need each other to work their magic.

Lathe Poland
Director/Producer
"Carb-Loaded: A Culture Dying to Eat"
Type 2 - Diagnosed : Oct of 2010 (A1C 8.3).
Stopped medication: Oct 2011
Latest A1C - 5.4 : Mar 2013
Managed with diet.

Established Advisor
dturney
Total Posts: 1,205
Registered on: ‎04-21-2011

[ Edited ]

lathep wrote:

Jim,

I learned this one the hard way to...in fact it may have helped bring on my T2. I was juicing quite a bit prior to my diagnosis.

I totally agree...that the amount of fruits and veggies that you can drink is far greater than what you would want to eat. The problem is that if you are not careful you can consume way to much sugar without the insoluble fiber you need to slow its absorption.  For example: To have a nice big glass of orange juice you will need to juice five or six oranges. But consuming five or six oranges without the critical fiber component is three or four more oranges worth of sugar then ANYONE should be eating at a time...yup, even non diabetics.

Your highest post meal sugar level was 235 because your body is getting the sugar to fast...without the insoluble fiber to slow it down.

Eating sugar does not cause diabetes. Eating fruit does not cause diabetes.  As a matter of fact eating sugar helps a healthy pancreas produce more insulin. Type two diabetes occurs when the body stops producing enough insulin,or your body rejects the insulin your are producing. It is a myth that eating sugar causes type two diabetes.  Being fat can trigger type two diabetes, however it does not cause type two diabetes.  Fiber has nothing to do with diabetes with the exception it requires no insulin as it just passes through your body, and aids in getting rid of wast. Type two diabetes and type 1 and 1.5 are all about insulin and how your body uses it.

When you reach a weight where the body can no longer produce enough insulin to take care of  the large anount of carbs and other foods you are eating, you become a type two diabetic.  You can have a healthy weight and become a type 2 because your body does not recognize the insulin your are producing. Type 1 diabetics do not produce any insulin, therefore, exogenous insulin is required for life.. Type 1.5 diabetics slowly loose the production of insulin , and more than likely become classified as a type 1 diabetic.....:smileyhappy:

Diagnosed June 1970 TYPE 2
INSULIN ON DAY ONE AND EVERY DAY AFTER
44 YEAR DIABETIC SURVIVOR
WELL BALANCED DIET
Daughter Diagnosed Type 1 at age 4
Multiple Daily Exogenous Insulin Injections
LANTUS & HUMALOG
500mg Metformin X 3
I am not young enough to know everything.

Responder
sniperjim

Thanks for the info... im learning more everyday. ..

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,395
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,370
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Around the time I was diagnosed I bought a good quality efficient juicer.

After diagnosis I thought that would be an excellent way to get lots of good healthy veges. I believed the hype about healthy juicing peddled by lots of dieticians. I found I quite liked the taste of carrot and celery juice, as well as various fruits. So I bought lots of fruit, big bags of carrots and lots of celery to produce litres of delicious juices.

Then I read for the first time Jennifer's Test, Test, Test advice. I was astonished when I found that not only fruit juices spiked me but carrot and celery juice spiked me even higher.

I also started to realise that not only is a cup of juice the carbs from three or four pieces of fruit or vegetables all at once, it is fruit and vegetables missing one of the most important components: the fibre.

I gave that nearly new juicer away ten years ago and never regretted it.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Flying Alitalia from Morocco to Rhodes)
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,329
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

sniperjim wrote:
The amount of fruits and veggies that you can drink is far greater than what you would want to eat. I have only been doing this for a month now. ... so I am still trying to figure it all out. But so far I have lost about 15 lbs. And I am feeling much better. So I want to keep trying it. My highest post meal sugar level was 235 so I was just looking for better ideas to use for my juice.

Wow, this is a really high number. If nothing else, this alone would tell me I need to do something differently.

Why don't you try having "regular" meals (with controlled carbs, protein, and fat) for 2-3 days and compare your BG number after those meals with the 235 or so you're getting now? Just as a test, to see how the two compare.

While losing weight can be helpful, it's really the BG number that (as diabetics) we need to pay closer attention to. You can be at your ideal weight and still have high (or low) BG, but I'm guessing that's not your goal.

I'd say you should pay more attention to the number on your meter than you do to the number on your scale. Just my opinion, of course...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (July 2014): 5.8
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Responder
sniperjim

I added some protein to my juice last night....some broiled chicken as well as some raw nuts just before I sat down for dinner... my post meal BG was 155... I was much happer with that number.... im going to keep trying things.... I hope I can stay around the 155