Responder
sniperjim
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎02-18-2013

juicing with diabetes

Has anyone tried juicing to help control blood sugar levels? If so do you have some recipes I could try? Any info would help.
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,682
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: juicing with diabetes

Are you talking about bringing your levels back up from a low? If not you should not be drinking juice.
James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Responder
sniperjim

No I'm trying to keep my levels down. There are a lot of good Vegetables out there to use
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,850
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,019
Solutions: 112
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Most juicers strain out the pulp from the fruit or vegetables in the process of preparing the juice.  You do get the vitamins and minerals and the soluble carbs like sugar and soluble fiber, in a more concentrated form, but not the insoluble fiber that is found in the pulp.

For people with diabetes the insoluble fiber serves two very important purposes.  First, if a person is trying to lose weight, the fiber helps to give a sense of fullness and makes it easier to eat less. Even more important, perhaps, is that fiber isn the digestive tract helps to slow down the absorption of carbs, giving the body more time to react with its own insulin and decreasing any rise in blood glucose from what is eaten.

It seems to me that juicing may be acceptable to a person who wants to add some of the soluble nutrients found in fruits and vegetable to their diet, like vitamins and minerals, but a person with diabetes is better off eating the whole fruit or vegetable, getting the advantages of fiber.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

I prefer to chew my food. As Molly said in her post, you loose some fiber. Plus there is the mental satisfaction from chewing.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Responder
Brokendreamz
Total Posts: 35
Registered on: ‎02-15-2013

I have a Nutri bullet.  This is the only machine I know of that does NOT remove all the good stuff, like fiber and pulp, from fruits, vegetables, and nuts.  The machine came with a recipe book that has a few for diabetes.  I have noticed that most of the recipes use spinach, kale, or broccoli as the main ingredient.  

Nikki
Type 2
Using Dietary Changes and Exercise
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,675
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

I'm curious why anyone would suggest using juices to control diabetes.

When controlling diabetes, the point is to limit the amount of carbs you eat and to balance them with fat and protein. For most people, this requires adjustments to the diet they were used to following before their diabetes diagnosis. Because diabetes is a lifelong disease, the changes have to be ones that can be continued indefinitely for years--or adjusted as time passes and their condition changes. "Juicing" seems like something that can be sustained for only a short period, and whether or not it gets diabetes under control is a separate issue from the simple fact of taking nutrition in through juices rather than solid food.

Maybe I'm missing something? I hope someone can clarify if I've misunderstood.

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

You could certainly try juicing, and use your meter before and after to see how much it raised your blood glucose, as you would with any other food.  I don't think juicing will lower your blood glucose, nothing we eat really lowers it, it is a question of how much it will raise it.  Your peak glucose level may come at a different time (probably earlier) than if you ate solid food, so test earlier and fairly frequently after drinking the juice until you find the time you peak after juicing.  From there, it becomes like any other meal or snack - you find out what it does to your body, and decide if you like that or not.  For me, I don't get the point of juicing rather than eating the vegetables, but others will prefer different things.  It is important that we continue to live life, and do the things that bring us pleasure and satisfaction as much as we can, and figure out how to figure those things into our diabetes plan.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Advisor
Caloh
Total Posts: 636
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Two years ago at a diabetes Expo that I attended, there was a "juicer" distributor - and an endocrinologist as the featured speaker.  The endocrinologist said very emphatically that people with diabetes should not drink juice, except when treating a low, but should eat the whole fruit and vegetables.  This past year the "juicer" was not there.

Responder
sniperjim

The amount of fruits and veggies that you can drink is far greater than what you would want to eat. I have only been doing this for a month now. ... so I am still trying to figure it all out. But so far I have lost about 15 lbs. And I am feeling much better. So I want to keep trying it. My highest post meal sugar level was 235 so I was just looking for better ideas to use for my juice.