Long Lost Member
rdarovic@hotmail.com
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎06-18-2010

insect bites

I have recently moved to SW Florida and am being besieged by insect bites. Noseeums or mites, I guess. In any case, I am wondering if there is any glucose released to my skin that might make me more attractive to the critters than others. Anybody else have this problem? I am using the Avon product so I can control it a little but I am curious about any effect diabetes might have.
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

insect bites

Welcome!

I am diabetic and my wife is not. The insects seem to pick her out and attack and leave me pretty much alone.
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

insect bites

Im the same as you, I get attacked every time I am out at night and there are bugs around. I did a google search on bug bites and diabetes and it came up with several web sites that diabetics are asking about the same thing as you. It says that bugs like sweat and our sweat is sweeter.

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
Frequent Responder
jacksgramma00
Total Posts: 591

insect bites

hi rita! welcome to s.w. florida!! where are you relocated to? i'm in cape coral. i, personally, don't have too much trouble with bites. of course, i stay mostly indoors at night. hope you aren't just "new blood" to our insect population!
audrey
diagnosed 10/09, A1C 6.5
last A1C (in january) 5.6
total weight lost, about 50 lbs. 
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142

insect bites

Rita Darovic (6/18/2010)
I have recently moved to SW Florida and am being besieged by insect bites. Noseeums or mites, I guess. In any case, I am wondering if there is any glucose released to my skin that might make me more attractive to the critters than others. Anybody else have this problem? I am using the Avon product so I can control it a little but I am curious about any effect diabetes might have.

Hi Rita, welcome to the boards.

I used to be a five-course meal for bugs before I was diagnosed when my numbers were high. Now that my numbers are in control I'm more like just an appetizer.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,554
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

insect bites

Get Avon's "Skin So Soft". Insects hate it.
Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

insect bites

Ditto what Jack said. I have the spray oil handy in summer which is a nice 'dry' moisturizer as well as bug repellent.

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Long Lost Member
bfieler4583
Total Posts: 70
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

insect bites

Welcome to sauna land!!!! Where about in SW Fl are you? I'm near Clearwater.

It must be your yummy Northern blood attracting the critters!! I'm joking. We have been here 26 years, they leave me alone, and go right to DH. I'm the one with D. I'd suggest you check your yard, plants, bird baths, and any where there could be just a bit of standing water. Don't give them a place to breed. Keep the grass trimmed.

If it seems to be your whole community, call your county Mosquito control, they can fog your area
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,619
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,443
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

insect bites

Rita Darovic (6/18/2010)

My local climate is not much different to Florida; I am on the 28th parallel South.

Just like Aidan I'm the diabetic but my wife is the one who is attacked by every insect in creation.

One thing that helps her in the summer is vitamin B1 supplements. I don't know all the science but it seems to affect the insects liking, or lack of it, for her skin. But it is not a total protection so she has to stay indoors in the early mornings and late afternoons.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
dinycat
Total Posts: 266
Registered on: ‎04-27-2010

insect bites

I live in Naples, FL in the winter, and when first started going there, was eaten alive by the No See Ums. I had to go on steroids a couple of times.

We were near a "preserve" area, which just exacerbated the problem, and now have moved further away from it. I have no problems anymore.

No product, including those with DEET worked for me. Avon was a joke, and just made me greasy.

The doctor did tell me that they go for body heat, and some of us just run higher temps--male or female, doesn't matter.

dinycat