Frequent Responder
muffnette
Total Posts: 219
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

fasting blood test and your meds

hey everyone  - i all ready did this but just was curious what you do or think ....  I had to go in for my 6 month diabetic check up today - so loads of bloodwork and had to fast - when i made the appt it was last minute so i was not able to get in until 10:30 am - (imagine waiting until after 11 am for your first cup of coffee!  OYE! LOL)  so i will never do that again!  i normally go for 8-8:30 if possible but again it was a last minute appt type thing...  but seeing it was later in the morning which i never do I was not sure if I should have still took my meds or not  - my morning ones - being thyroid meds, and 3 oral diabetic pills - I normally just would have taken them after my usual 8 am fasting appts but seeing this was later and i was away from home i took them w/me and when at the school asked the school nurse what to do - she said to just take them -  what have you done?  I would imagine they would want you to take meds as you normally do so you have more accurate blood test readings - however - i was worried taking my diabetic pills so early w/me not having my first food for the day until basically lunch - was afraid of going too low kwim?    thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Karen ~

Diagnosed Type 2 Jan.'02
Last A1C 6.2% on 02/13
Metformin 2000/mg, Glimepiride 8/mg
Actos 30mg, Lisinopril 20/mg, baby aspirin 81/mg
Levothyroxin 137/mcg for Hypothyroidism
Yasmin for PCOS, have retinopathy
Lumigan for Glaucoma
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,435
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: fasting blood test and your meds

Karen, when ever I have an appointment that late in the morning and fasting is required. My doctor has told me to take my medications at the normal time.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,911
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

muffnette wrote:

hey everyone  - i all ready did this but just was curious what you do or think ....  I had to go in for my 6 month diabetic check up today - so loads of bloodwork and had to fast - when i made the appt it was last minute so i was not able to get in until 10:30 am - (imagine waiting until after 11 am for your first cup of coffee!  OYE! LOL)  so i will never do that again!  i normally go for 8-8:30 if possible but again it was a last minute appt type thing...  but seeing it was later in the morning which i never do I was not sure if I should have still took my meds or not  - my morning ones - being thyroid meds, and 3 oral diabetic pills - I normally just would have taken them after my usual 8 am fasting appts but seeing this was later and i was away from home i took them w/me and when at the school asked the school nurse what to do - she said to just take them -  what have you done?  I would imagine they would want you to take meds as you normally do so you have more accurate blood test readings - however - i was worried taking my diabetic pills so early w/me not having my first food for the day until basically lunch - was afraid of going too low kwim?    thoughts?

Karen,

I would not take the metformin nor the Glimepiride without eating first.  Probably not the Actos either.  Metformin will cause stomach upset if you take it on an empty stomach, Glim. could cause you to go low.

Next time bring a snack with you to eat as soon as the tests are done.  That's what I do when I have a late test.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Responder
muffnette

lizzylou wrote:

muffnette wrote:

Karen,

I would not take the metformin nor the Glimepiride without eating first.  Probably not the Actos either.  Metformin will cause stomach upset if you take it on an empty stomach, Glim. could cause you to go low.

Next time bring a snack with you to eat as soon as the tests are done.  That's what I do when I have a late test.

Lizzy

well i ended up taking them about 10ish and they drew my blood about 11 - i didn't have any stomach issues but i grabbed a granola bar (They have them by their water cooler! lol) and ate it right away -   the coffee was the hardest!  I took my blood test in the car before i went in (brought my meter) and it was 118 -  when i woke up it was 100 - i think it started going up because of going so long w/o eating?   and the meds didn't kick in yet - for sure next time i will make sure to schedule those appts AT 8:00!!!!!

~ Karen ~

Diagnosed Type 2 Jan.'02
Last A1C 6.2% on 02/13
Lumigan for Glaucoma
Frequent Responder
muffnette

jpg391 wrote:

Karen, when ever I have an appointment that late in the morning and fasting is required. My doctor has told me to take my medications at the normal time.

i ended up taking them an hour later - if i took them at normal time (8 ish am) and they didn't draw my blood til 11 am i was afraid of going TOO low w/the meds - i hope this all worked w/my test!

~ Karen ~

Diagnosed Type 2 Jan.'02
Last A1C 6.2% on 02/13
Lumigan for Glaucoma
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

jpg391 wrote:

I think your doctor made that recommendation based on the fact that only just take metformin for diabetes  Metdormin doesn't cause lows, but glimipride does, so I'd have avoided that one.  Metformin doesn't cause me any stomach upset, but it does for a lot of people.  Delaying that one wouldn't have any real consequences, even skipping a day wouldn't be a problem for most of us.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Frequent Responder
muffnette

Talvie wrote:

jpg391 wrote:

I think your doctor made that recommendation based on the fact that only just take metformin for diabetes  Metdormin doesn't cause lows, but glimipride does, so I'd have avoided that one.  Metformin doesn't cause me any stomach upset, but it does for a lot of people.  Delaying that one wouldn't have any real consequences, even skipping a day wouldn't be a problem for most of us.

and see as i said i tested before going in the office had my meter on me and it showed 118 and that was after taking the actos and glimeperide and metform an hour prior - though i think since tech at that point i was on a 14 hr fast time i think my body was starting to go into liver dump or something so i didn't have too low a low.....    yeah my stomach issues w/met are long gone have been on this one for 8 years my body is use to it the first 3 months 8 years ago though was another story! lmao

~ Karen ~

Diagnosed Type 2 Jan.'02
Last A1C 6.2% on 02/13
Lumigan for Glaucoma
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

When I have bloodwork done, there are some meds that are withheld, others not.  Depends entirely on the type/s of bloodwork you're having done, and what your doctor/s instruct.

For my fasting labs, I also have to withhold caffeine, only water is OK, but for some other labs I can drink coffee or tea.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,435
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

muffnette wrote:

Talvie wrote:

jpg391 wrote:

and see as i said i tested before going in the office had my meter on me and it showed 118 and that was after taking the actos and glimeperide and metform an hour prior - though i think since tech at that point i was on a 14 hr fast time i think my body was starting to go into liver dump or something so i didn't have too low a low.....    yeah my stomach issues w/met are long gone have been on this one for 8 years my body is use to it the first 3 months 8 years ago though was another story! lmao

I never thought that taking my Metformin before a fasting blood test could cause a liver dump. That is good to know.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Responder
muffnette

I never thought that taking my Metformin before a fasting blood test could cause a liver dump. That is good to know.

well I just am wondering because - its odd that i woke up (pre-meds) and my blood sugar was 100 - then an hour later i take my meds and another hour later its 118 but i didn't eat or drink anything? so i am thinking regardless because it was so long since i ate it was causing my #'s to actually go up (the way they say the liver starts dumping sugar because it thinks you are starving yourself) because you would THINK taking my meds and still not eating yet it would have dropped!  hmmm

~ Karen ~

Diagnosed Type 2 Jan.'02
Last A1C 6.2% on 02/13
Lumigan for Glaucoma