Occasional Contributor
desdollie
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎11-26-2011

diabetic id bracelets

Hi community, due to added cost of all my diabetic supplies, meds and so forth, I was wondering does anyone know how I can obtain a cost free id bracelets, for my type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. I'm on a fixed income and just can't see my way clear, it would put my mind at ease knowing that the bracelet could speak for me if I'm unable  Thanks

Established Contributor
fyre522
Total Posts: 1,438
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: diabetic id bracelets

I don't know where to get a free diabetes bracelet for T1's, but I have a "diabetic tattoo" that speaks for me when I am unable.  The only thing I want to add to the tattoo are the words "Insulin Dependent" in a circle around the existing tattoo.  I attached a picture of it for you to see.  Good luck!!!

~Rae~ (Type 1.5, aka LADA)

Treat every stressful situation like a dog... if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away...

Advair, Albuterol-Isopro mix, Bystolic, Colchicine, Combivent, Fentanyl,   Fish Oil, Furosemide,  Humulin R U-500, Hydroxazine, Iron, Klor-Con, Lipitor, L-Lysine, Magnesium,  Metolazone, Oxycodone, Spironolactone, Topamax, Trilipix, Uloric, Vitamin D 50,000,  Zoloft. 

(Hey, if you took all these meds, you'd need happy pills too!)

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,898
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,040
Solutions: 114
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

The first ID I got was just a generic one from a pharmacy, with no personalized engraving.  It was less than $10.00 and maybe about $6.95.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Lizzy has a great pinned topic at the top of the page for discount help on meds and such.....she also had this for a free necklace.....

FREE Diabetes ID Necklace

DRWF has been a strong force in getting the awareness and preparedness message across to the diabetes community by offering a Diabetes Identification. Currently, DRWF is the only resource that provides the identification for FREE by request. Our mission is to promote and educate the public about proper identification for those with diabetes. This identification is key when you are unable to speak for yourself in an emergency.

You can request the FREE Diabetes necklace -with a self-addressed and stamped envelope sent to DRWF or you can order online. By wearing this life saving ID each day, you are in effect educating and sharing your knowledge of diabetes.

Since announcing the Diabetes Necklace program in 1993, DRWF has experienced an overwhelming response.

The diabetes identification necklace reads “I Have Diabetes, Please Test My Blood Before Treating Me.”

Many people have found the “Diabetes ID” to be very useful and lifesaving. Many individuals have written in to tell us how useful and life-saving our Diabetes Identification Necklace is:

“What a great idea, this could save me, I will wear my necklace every day.”

“ I needed a necklace but I just couldn’t afford one. Thanks for offering this FREE service.”

“I never used to wear any identification, but now I know how important it is. Thanks for making me realize what could happen if I didn’t have a diabetes ID.”

DRWF is proud to offer a product that everyone can use in an emergency situation, and hopefully this will prevent accidents in the future. So spread the word to your diabetes community.

To receive your FREE Diabetes Necklace, click here to fill out the Diabetes Necklace Coupon and mail your self-addressed, stamped ($0.64) request to the address below OR order online and be charged a $2.95 shipping & handling fee.

FREE Diabetes Necklace

5151 Wisconsin Avenue, NW

Suite 420

Washington, DC 20016

If you are Type 1, you might want to go over to the Type 1 forum, Trisha has a couple of links for some help too.  I would do all the fancy links to it but I'm not the puter literate.....LOL

Good luck.............................Big Red.......................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Occasional Contributor
desdollie

I'm sorry community I have type 2 diabetics, I miss spoke, I do like the idea about a tattoo

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,794
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

No need to apologize. If you like the tattoo idea, go for it.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

desdollie wrote:

I'm sorry community I have type 2 diabetics, I miss spoke, I do like the idea about a tattoo

No Worries.....just wanted to steer you in the direction of your peeps....LOL........And welcome to the club that no one wants to join. 

I have seen Rae's tattoo in person and I must say it is very nice.  I'm doing some henna art on my arm that says Type 2 Diabetic.  We are going on a cruise and I won't be carrying my purse all the time and my emergency necklace has a usb flash drive and I'm not sure if they would have the capabilities to plug it in for the info.

If you have a cellphone make sure you have ICE numbers programmed  in.

See ya......................................Big Red.........................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Occasional Contributor
desdollie

Hey red what is ICE, i've had type 2 for 25 yr. guess i don'tknow all the lingo

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

desdollie wrote:

Hi dollie, (well hello Dollie!) couldn't resist.

ICE means the number to call In Case of Emergency. Perhaps that person should know a little more about your health needs in case s/he has to speak for you.

Welcome to the board,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Occasional Contributor
desdollie

Oh yes that would be my oldest daughter, she is my go to person, thank you guys for being so on point.