Long Lost Member
moe2010
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎09-26-2010

diabetic foot massage

I am diabetic 2 , currently I have no problems with my feet , sometimes I enjoy a good chinese foot reflexology massage , does any body has any experience pro or against this treatment for diabetis if applicable
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,423
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

diabetic foot massage

No experience, though foot massage can be great stuff.

However, nobody has ever come here and touted a positive affect on blood glucose management from any kind of foot massage...so I wouldn't count on it helping there.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,392
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

diabetic foot massage

MOrris Older (9/26/2010)
No experience, though foot massage can be great stuff.
However, nobody has ever come here and touted a positive affect on blood glucose management from any kind of foot massage...so I wouldn't count on it helping there.

Well, if it helps keep the feet happy and going on the treadimill or trail..........
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

diabetic foot massage

I have seen the charts, they sure indicate they can fix a lot of different problems. No one has ever recommended this option to me. Do you ask them to concentrate on the diabetic zones or is it all over? Have you noticed an improvment in your numbers afterwards?
Established Contributor
arrivedt2
Total Posts: 1,350
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

diabetic foot massage

Happy rubbed feet as treatment for diabetes? Nope

Happy feet as blood movement in feet? Yes

It may help one problem a diabetic may have but as TREATMENT totally, no way!!

Promise me you'll always remember:
"You're Braver than you believe, Stronger that you seem, and Smarter than you think !"

Christopher Robin to Pooh Bear

Lee, T2 since 07/1988
Live long and prosper.

"Don't waste any tomorrows because of what you didn't do yesterday !"

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,346
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,363
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

diabetic foot massage

mohammad alhasawi (9/26/2010)
I am diabetic 2 , currently I have no problems with my feet , sometimes I enjoy a good chinese foot reflexology massage , does any body has any experience pro or against this treatment for diabetis if applicable

Massage is probably a good thing in many ways, especially for the feet.

However, reflexology as a means of treating diabetes - or any other ailment - is another matter. I consider it nonsense. When people start touting it as an effective treatment they detract attention from the real methods of diet, exercise and appropriate use of medications and insulin.

The only diabetes support group meeting I ever walked out of was the one where the CDE introduced a reflexologist as the speaker. I listened to it all with increasing skepticism. I walked out when she showed us the specific point on the sole of my foot which supposedly stimulated the pancreas. Here it is: http://www.reflexologycharts.org/

Total BS.

A good foot massage is one thing. Believing it is any sort of effective treatment for diabetes is quite another.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Fes, Morocco: Scams, Dars and the Medina)
Established Contributor
fyre522
Total Posts: 1,438

diabetic foot massage

Hey Mohammad!

Foot massage... sounds so relaxing! I get pedicures every 2-3 weeks when I can afford it, and the salon I go to know that I am diabetic and that there are special "precautions" they have to take with me... like using my own little box of tools that I keep at the salon in their locker area. Or double-cleaning the foot-bath area for the pedicure. Those kinds of things.

However, they also do callous removal (on the heels of your feet) and a deep-tissue left and foot massage. Wonderful stuff. Helps blood circulation without a doubt, but I've never heard it ocalim to be an antidote for Diabetes itself.

So if you like the feeling and the relaxation of that massage, go for it! Just don't expect it to work miracles in regards to curing any ailment, as it probably won't. But it can help ward off neuropathy in your feet because it causes a stimulation of the blood flow and blood cells to the corect plaves nd makes it earlier in the morning.

Hope that helps!

~Rae~ (Type 1.5, aka LADA)

Treat every stressful situation like a dog... if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away...

Advair, Albuterol-Isopro mix, Bystolic, Colchicine, Combivent, Fentanyl,   Fish Oil, Furosemide,  Humulin R U-500, Hydroxazine, Iron, Klor-Con, Lipitor, L-Lysine, Magnesium,  Metolazone, Oxycodone, Spironolactone, Topamax, Trilipix, Uloric, Vitamin D 50,000,  Zoloft. 

(Hey, if you took all these meds, you'd need happy pills too!)

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,830
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139

diabetic foot massage

mohammad alhasawi (9/26/2010)

Reflexology utilizes the same meridians as Acupuncture and Acupressure. I remember years back when Acupuncture was first introduced here in the US people said it was nonsense and fake until it started to prove very effective for animals. As you know, animals aren't susceptible to the placebo effect.

Instead of looking at it as a treatment for diabetes I'd instead look at it as an over-all general health benefit. At the very least it will help your circulation, which is very important with diabetes and the feet and legs are especially prone to circulation problems. For that benefit alone it's worth the price. It's also very relaxing, and anything that relieves stress is a good thing.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

NiesjeS
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-28-2014

Re: diabetic foot massage

As a student remedial therapist I recently treated someone with diabetes. My boss treated the friend with Chinese reflexology while I treated the diabetic with just normal foot massage. The diabetic had a mottled look to her feet after treatment but said that she would feel the blood flowing back into her feet and that it had been a while since she had felt anything like that.
Generally foot and lower leg massage is good for diabetics Asti increases the blood flow in those areas and helps with the removal of the toxins building up in the lower limbs. Personally I would never recommend massage as a cure for something and always suggest that they see their doctor to ensure that there is no conflicts with their medications etc.

Ps. I am an Australian working in Australia... I have no idea how things work elsewhere but this is just my opinion on things.
What I have read here is very helpful in my line of work..
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,346
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,363
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: diabetic foot massage

NiesjeS wrote:
As a student remedial therapist I recently treated someone with diabetes. My boss treated the friend with Chinese reflexology while I treated the diabetic with just normal foot massage. The diabetic had a mottled look to her feet after treatment but said that she would feel the blood flowing back into her feet and that it had been a while since she had felt anything like that.
Generally foot and lower leg massage is good for diabetics Asti increases the blood flow in those areas and helps with the removal of the toxins building up in the lower limbs. Personally I would never recommend massage as a cure for something and always suggest that they see their doctor to ensure that there is no conflicts with their medications etc.

Ps. I am an Australian working in Australia... I have no idea how things work elsewhere but this is just my opinion on things.
What I have read here is very helpful in my line of work..

Glad we could help.

Did you realise this topic is several years old? Just wondering.

Where in Oz are you? Do you have type 2 yourself?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Fes, Morocco: Scams, Dars and the Medina)