Frequent Responder
psb1954
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎07-07-2010

best way to lower blood sugar

If I eat something that I find spikes my blood sugar, is exercise the best way to bring it back to normal or at least down? I also think I remember someone saying something about drinking water.

Thanks
Pam
Diagnosed Type 2 March 2010
Metformin, 1000 mg am & pm
Amaryl 2 mg am & pm when my bg is 140 or above
Simvastatin 40 mg
Enalapril/HCTZ10 25 mg in am
Geodon 60 mg pm
Adderall for ADD (diagnosed at age 56)
Ambien cr 12.5 mg
Lexapro 30 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Maprotiline 50 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Levothyroxine 150 mcg in am
Klonopin 2-3 times daily as need for anxiety
Vesicare 10 mg
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

psb1954 (11/3/2010)
If I eat something that I find spikes my blood sugar, is exercise the best way to bring it back to normal or at least down? I also think I remember someone saying something about drinking water.

Thanks

Pam

As far as I know, drinking water doesn't actually lower blood sugar, because you just can't drink and absorb that much ... but it can still be a good idea. If your blood sugar goes above about 180, your kidneys will go to work filtering out the sugar, so that your body passed it out in urine. In the process, you can become dehydrated if you pass out more water than you take in.

If your body is still making insulin, as it is for most people when they are newly diagnosed, blood sugar will come down by itself, if you give it a little time.

Exercise also works. It uses up energy by burning the sugar in your muscles, and helps to lower your body's resistance to the work of insulin, so that glucose can be moved out of your blood and into your muscles more efficiently.

It is NOT a good idea to exercise if blood sugar is extremely high, because it can sometimes cause problems. For people with type 1 diabetes, they are usually advised not to exercise if blood sugar is above 250, but for those of us with type 2, the limit is more like 300-350. If blood sugar STAYS that high, you really ought to check with your doctor.
Frequent Responder
psb1954
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎07-07-2010

I am T2 and the highest I've ever gone is in the low to mid 200s.
Diagnosed Type 2 March 2010
Metformin, 1000 mg am & pm
Amaryl 2 mg am & pm when my bg is 140 or above
Simvastatin 40 mg
Enalapril/HCTZ10 25 mg in am
Geodon 60 mg pm
Adderall for ADD (diagnosed at age 56)
Ambien cr 12.5 mg
Lexapro 30 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Maprotiline 50 mg at night (anti-depressant)
Levothyroxine 150 mcg in am
Klonopin 2-3 times daily as need for anxiety
Vesicare 10 mg
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

I hope blood sugar is coming down by now. It sounds like you are in no trouble of blood sugar being too high to exercise. It's really encouraging when you exercise and then test and see how much good even ten or fifteen minutes can do.

Walking is a simple way to exercise for most people. It doesn't have to be strenuous to work, but anything that used the larger muscles will work well.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,439
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

psb1954 (11/3/2010)
If I eat something that I find spikes my blood sugar, is exercise the best way to bring it back to normal or at least down?..........

The good thing about regular daily exercise is that it helps minimize the amount of the postmeal peaks. If you have a routine exercise plan going every day, you can help minimize the rise with exercise, and go a long way toward avoiding spikes in the first place. I don't recommend waiting until seeing blood sugar too high, but like Molly said, anything is better than nothing, and it doesn't take much. It just takes doing it. Doesn't have to be a big deal. As long as it gets the heart rate up, it should get the blood sugar down. Amounts can be portioned according to need, and that can vary from day to day, but at least with a plan, you'll have something to work with, and something will get done towards knocking blood sugar back down, and then you'll have a better starting point to work from before the next meal, or the next day, etc. Think of it as a circle. The circle of life.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Contributor
seeker613
Total Posts: 228
Registered on: ‎01-05-2010

The level of BG that would indicate that exercise is not good for you has been discussed b4.

There is a diet site that recommends that you should be under 241 before exercising. Someone gave worthy input, saying that since exercise can lower your numbers, you can exercise for 5 mins or so, & then test to see if the exercise is raising your numbers.

I can get the site for any who may need the reference.

Bd
bD 

bD = Eli

bD - the b is 'cause  I'm fm Brooklyn &
the D is 'cause I've dodged a big bullet. The Brooklyn Dodgers were named for those dodging trolleys way back when in Brooklyn; but I am still a big Mets fan (note the text color choices).

We always have choices, sometimes it is only a choice of attitude.