Contributor
Stuntdrvr1
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎01-17-2012

bedtime reading

what's a normal range for the bedtime Blood Glucose? And what should it be the following morning?

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,261
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: bedtime reading

Usualy goals for blood glucose do not include a bedtime target...

However, normal glucose numbers in the morning, fasting, are less than 100.

And two hours after eating, normal numbers would be <120.  If bedtime were then another couple of hours after that, normal would be the same as fasting.

The goals set for people with diabetes are sometimes higher, but often include the proviso that closer to normal is better if it can be achieved wihtout the risk of hypoglycemia--which mainly is a risk fo those who take insulin, or drugs that stimulate the production of insulin, and who could over-medicate...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Contributor
Stuntdrvr1

I can usually get my number down with exercise. I am also taking twice daily 500 mg Metformin.

Is there a danger if I try to lower it too much, by lets say an hour on the execise bike right before bed,

could my meds take me too low by morning?

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,688
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,222
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

Stuntdrvr1 wrote:

I can usually get my number down with exercise. I am also taking twice daily 500 mg Metformin.

Is there a danger if I try to lower it too much, by lets say an hour on the execise bike right before bed,

What numbers do you usually see before breakfast and an hour after meals?

PS I like to see numbers between 4.5(~80) and 7(126) at bedtime.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Contributor
Stuntdrvr1

alan_s wrote:

Well, I have only been at this for 4 days, however I started on day one with a morning number of 199, and today it was down to 150. My post breakfast rise 30-40 points. I think my food choices are good.  My nighttime and wake up time numbers are still high but are steadily trending downward. I just dont know how far down they should go before its in a "normal"  range again.

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,688
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,222
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Stuntdrvr1 wrote:

alan_s wrote:

Well, I have only been at this for 4 days, however I started on day one with a morning number of 199, and today it was down to 150. My post breakfast rise 30-40 points. I think my food choices are good.  My nighttime and wake up time numbers are still high but are steadily trending downward. I just dont know how far down they should go before its in a "normal"  range again.

Sorry, I added to my other post while you wrote that; the numbers I wrote are in the normal range, depending whether you snacked during the evening: 4.5(~80) and 7(126) at bedtime.

At this early stage, trending down is good.

Could you expand on "my food choices are good" please? What did you eat today, and what post-meal numbers did you see?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Contributor
Stuntdrvr1

its 4 am here so i need to get some sleep.

breakfast was two eggs, half piece plain whole wheat toast, and water. I'm okay with simplicity. 

I'll have to get back with you on the numbers.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,261
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Stuntdriver--

Unless you are injecting insulin or taking a medication that stimulates the production of insulin, it is extremely unlikely that your blood sugar would drop to an unsafe level while you are sleeping.

Our bodies have a built in blood sugar thermostat.  If our numbers go too high, our pancreas releases more insulin.  If our numbers drift too low, our livers release more liver into the blood to bring them back up.

Two of the most common ways that can malfunction are not enough insulin, and you go too high, or the liver over-reacts, and you also go too high.  It is very rare for the liver to under-react.

About the only way that happens is when you consume more than moderate amounts of alcohol.  As the liver is also responsible for filtering that from your blood, and is poor at multi-tasking, it can get distracted from its blood sugar role. this is most likely to be an issue if you are injecting insulin, or using a drug that stimulates insulin production, but could in extreme cases, affect you even without those meds.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,201
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Stuntdrvr1 wrote:

http://www.joslin.org/info/goals_for_blood_glucose_control.html gives normal goal range for numbers, including bedtime.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,201
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Stuntdrvr1 wrote:

Doubtful.  But if you're concerned about that, don't try to lower it "too much", but "just enough".  Test at bedtime and also next morning to see what a *half* hour (or less) on the bike does, for instance.

Blood glucose goal ranges (including bedtime) according to Jostln Diabetes Center: http://www.joslin.org/info/goals_for_blood_glucose_control.html

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5