Frequent Responder
felinemom
Total Posts: 50
Registered on: ‎04-12-2012

autonomic neuropathy

Neuropathy has been advancing through my body....I have tried several meds....any suggestions? Pain and depression is really getting to me.........Cat

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: autonomic neuropathy

felinemom wrote:

Neuropathy has been advancing through my body....I have tried several meds....any suggestions? Pain and depression is really getting to me.........Cat

Cat, I am sorry that your neuropathy is this severe. We do have some posters with some experience with this and I expect they will be along soon to share their experiences. One of them, a retired nurse has gastroparesis as well as some other conditions and may be able to help you.
This is a good place to be for support and encouragement and I hope you get some answers.
For those who are unfamiliar with the term autonomic neuropathy, here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's article on it....
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/autonomic-neuropathy/DS00544
Diabetes is the most common cause of this devastating condition.
I hope you get some help Cat and I wish you well,
Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

felinemom wrote:

Morris has some very good suggestions and info.  He should be along to post you soon.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Cat,

My suggestions mostly come from my own experience--with peripheral neuropathy.

Doctors will often suggest that neuropathy is irreversible. My experience is otherwise, and mine was advanced enough to make me pretty miserable much of the time. My doctor told  me, however, that if I could reduce my blood glucose numbers to normal, the symptoms might be reversed. That is exactly what I did, and I also took Alpha Lipoic Acid, and in 6 months my neuropathy was 95% gone. And it was bad enough that I think many other people may be able to do the same.  Many posting here have in fact been able to reverse it to some extent.

Autonomic neuropathy is not necessarily the same as peripheral neuropathy, however, and may ro may not be amenabel to that kind of reversal.  I think it usually develops later than the more common peripheral neuropathy, but that may not be true in all cases.  But it can't hurt to try nromal numbers on for size, give it six months and see what happens. Even if it doesn't revese the symptoms, it may slow them down or ease them somethat.  And it can only have positive influence in helping to avoid other serious complications of diabetes.

From all I have heard, the meds prescribed basically act as painkillers and cannot reverse symptoms. There are several meds, and people have differing results with them--the dosage can also be varied to maximize the relief and minimize any side effects.

So how are you doing with your blood glucose levels, Cat?  If there is room for improvement there, I dwould suggest that it is worth learning as much as you can about controlling glucose and making every effort to do so, since that will give you the best chance of limiting or maybe even reversing the pain.  Tell us a bit more, and I can post more about what worked for me...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
felinemom

Morris,   Thanks....  I recently started Lipoic Acid, hope it will help. I also take several other supplements besides the usual Diabetic must haves. My BG numbers are fair. My meds for neuropathy range from Nortriptyline to Gabapentin. The only pain meds are aspirin and ibuprofen. I've been type 2 for 18yrs. And like everyone else, have good and bad days.  Cat

Responder
jrn3330
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎10-18-2011

Cat,

I have neuropathy and it goes back prior to my diagnosis of type II  in Aug 2011.  I used to blow it off as PAD that I could cure with  exercise in time.  Once diagnosed with diabetes, I had 2 stents inserted into a major artery of my left leg  to get blood flow back to my left foot which was now ulcerated and in severe danger.

My vascular surgeon ruled out any more surgery to my lower legs.  Veins and arteries too small to reap any benefits at this advanced stage.  The usual get your Blood Sugar under control and the whole gambit  of try this drug and that drug.  None of which worked.

ALA is something I might try but I have other medical issues presently.  To be honest, with my work to control blood sugar, I thus far, still have a left toe/foot and the neuropathy is sporatic, not everyday, and percoset gets me thru the worst of times.  I know what you must be going thru and I wish you the best.

God speed,

JR

DX'D: 08/11/11
A1C: 10.4 (08/11/11); 5.4 (11/10/11)
Meds: Levemir (22), Metformin (500Mg X 2), Plavix (75Mg), Lipitor(20Mg), Metoprolol(50Mg), Clonazepam(.5Mg)
Palm Coast, Florida
Frequent Responder
felinemom

JR,    Good to hear from you. I know you must be in a great deal of pain. My prayers will be with you always. Please take extra care of yourself........Like you, the neuropathy made it's appearance first and diagnosed correctly. I have been on several different meds through the years, with not much success. It has progressed along the way. Every morning is a new inventory of "what's working & what's not". Something I feel is very important for everyone before getting out of bed is to move around and stretch. Get your whole body going. Each day we need to massage our arms, hands, legs and feet to keep the circulation going. Also, it's always good to try and stay positive. I know it can be hard, but have a good cry if you want and a big laugh out loud, even if you're all alone, it's what we all need to do. So feel better everyone............Cat:heart:

Frequent Responder
felinemom

Hi again !!     Just wanted to "VENT", so I've returned to my original message regarding Neuropathy. Had an EKG to check my heart because of so much chest pain. My heart so far is ok, but neuropathy is the villian. Also, it has gotten into my face, head and ears. At times, I can't feel parts of myself for hours/days. It still boggles my mind how something that numbs your body, can inflict such pain at the same time. Well, I'm feeling better after 2 weeks down and conquering anxiety. Hopefully, tomorrow I will be released from my cage and enjoy!!!!!

Thanks for listening........Cat:catvery-happy:

Advisor
lisa27
Total Posts: 199
Registered on: ‎01-07-2012

Hi Cat,
Hope you are still doing better. I'm going to my Endo to discuss autonomic neuropathy. I've been having chest pain, been cleared by my cardio. Been having bp issues. I've had low bp for yrs, been on med for it. All of a sudden it changed, went moderately high. So off med. then two days off the med it climbed all morning and got up to 180/118! Called cardio, went in and when I saw him it was back to slightly high! Stayed that way for about 2 weeks and has dropped back to low! Back on med. So, it's just up, down, and normal! Do these crazy things sound familiar?
Lisa
Type 2. Dx 2012.
Frequent Responder
felinemom

Hi lisa,     Ups & downs in all aspects are unfortunely part of my T2.......My BP had always been low before diabetes,  but I was hospitalized shortly after being diagnosed, it shot up dangerous high....I was given 2 forms of heart meds for 6 months....Now I take Enalapril each day to keep my BP in check.......Cat:cathappy: