crooklyn
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-15-2013

ac1 level

I was jus told that my ac1 level has gone up...9.7 to be exact from 7.2...not that this is a good number but a helluva lower than 9.7....need help...can I get some advise as to how to get this number down..or am I too late?(safely)
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,232
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Re: ac1 level

Hi, crooklyn.  Welcome to this forum.  It is never too late - you can get your blood glucose under control.  We will need to know a bit more about you to give you advice. Do you use a meter to test your blood glucose?  How often do you test, and when?  Do you exercise?  If so, how often, and what do you do for exercise?

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,508
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Too late?  If you're still vertical and ventillating, it's not too late.  :smileyhappy:

Managing your blood glucose (BG) takes some knowledge and a lot of consistency.  You've come to the very best place for the knowledge, as there are quite a few members on here that are successfully managing their BG.  Without any info on how you are controlling your diet, what you are doing for excercise, and what medications (if any) you are taking, it's hard to say where you might need improvement.

I must caution that even the best of Type 2 management sometimes is not enough as it is possible that you could need insulin.  That's something to discuss with the doctor.

Regardless of where you may be in terms of T2 management, this message board is a great resource.  Ask questions, search through posts, rant and rave if you need to - these are the things that make this place special.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,333
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

[ Edited ]

Hey, crooklyn,

Welcome to the forum!

As realtxjack said, no, it's not too late at all.

If your A1c has gone up, I'm guessing that either (a) something's changed in your self-care regimen or (b) your pancreas needs more help now than it used to. Either one is feasible, but without knowing more about your situation it's hard to say which is going on with you. Depending on what's going on, you may simply need to go back to your self-care regimen on a more consistent basis or you may need more or different meds to control your BG.

A couple of other possiblities are that you've been taking meds for another condition or you had some unusually high numbers for a period of time (due to illness, lots of carbs, lots of stress...could be many things), and that made your A1c go up.

I agree with you, BTW--7.2 is not a great number, but it's a whole lot better than 9.7

If you come back with some more details about your situation, we can give you better answers. George asks some good questions in his reply to your post. Maybe you want to answer his questions? Other good questions: How long ago were you diagnosed? Do you take any meds for your diabetes? Is 7.2 a typical A1c for you, or just the last one before the 9.7?

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (July 2014): 5.8
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,419
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

besides telling us what you eat, when, how often you test, what you see, exercise, meds and all the information that is critical to providing you with some recommendations, I bet you can find the low hanging fruit of things that you know will improve your numbers.. Baby steps add up...

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,395
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,371
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

crooklyn wrote:
I was jus told that my ac1 level has gone up...9.7 to be exact from 7.2...not that this is a good number but a helluva lower than 9.7....need help...can I get some advise as to how to get this number down..or am I too late?(safely)

G'day

You're never too late, mate. But you may have some work to do :smileyhappy:

I wrote this to help you do that (click on it): Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Established Advisor
MariaFan
Total Posts: 3,314
Registered on: ‎12-21-2012

crooklyn,

Welcome!!

As has been said, it's never too late. Something has happened to cause your A1C to rise.

Have you kept a "book" where you keep track of your meals, your meds, how you feel, etc.?

Even if you haven't, maybe try writing down what you can remember over the past 3-6 months or so.

Hopefully, a pattern will emerge that will help you figure out what is going on.

******************************************************************************************
MariaFan aka Mark *the biggest fan of Maria Sharapova*
How do you like my newest Maria avatar? Isn't she lovely? :heart: :heart: :heart:

♫ ♫ Dancin' In The Moon Light, and Fighting The Good Fight ♫ ♫
*******************************************************************************************
T2 - Official since 2011. Unofficial probably since 1980.
Hoping to stay in the 5% club.
Frequent Responder
jimssnell
Total Posts: 584
Registered on: ‎09-11-2012

MariaFan wrote:

crooklyn,

Welcome!!

As has been said, it's never too late. Something has happened to cause your A1C to rise.

Have you kept a "book" where you keep track of your meals, your meds, how you feel, etc.?

Even if you haven't, maybe try writing down what you can remember over the past 3-6 months or so.

Hopefully, a pattern will emerge that will help you figure out what is going on.

As a 30 year plus type 2 and finally getting mess resolved at 65 plus, obviously its never too late. Preferrably as soon as possible but as stated unless dead in the box not too late.

I see folks here are sharing good advice with you. Many times with high a1c numbers on a type 2 - 9 and up; the liver is complicit in banging it up there and dawn phen/effect is a common problem and metformin can be very helpful battling that. As stated, you will need to review your diet, exercise and use a meter to identify

your numbers that will assist you in working the issue.

I use insulin today but many type 2's get glyburide, starlix and some other variants of that plus metformin.

The comment about a log book and writing things down can be very helpful tracing what you did and numbers seen so as to establish a pattern.

Alan_s has some excellent books and help.

Best wishes and good luck!

James (Jim) W. Snell
30+ years as type 2 diabetic
40 years as Digital Microprocessor System designer
Stroke in 2007 and retired.
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4
http://db2jimcaresta.com