Responder
awlyle
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎02-02-2013

When is the best time to take Lantus?

Hi!  My doctor recently started me on Lantus and told me that I could take it in the morning or at night, whichever was more convenient for me. I've been taking it in the mornings so that I could be consistent with the dosing times.  My pharmacist questioned why I took it in the morning.....Should I be taking it before bed?

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,911
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: When is the best time to take Lantus?

awlyle wrote:

Hi!  My doctor recently started me on Lantus and told me that I could take it in the morning or at night, whichever was more convenient for me. I've been taking it in the mornings so that I could be consistent with the dosing times.  My pharmacist questioned why I took it in the morning.....Should I be taking it before bed?

As your doctor said, whenever you want to.  Lots of people take it in the morning so I don't know what the pharmacist is questioning.

It does have a small peak, not much.  So if you have higher fasting numbers you could try taking it at night to see if it helps more.

The important thing is to be consistent and take it at the same time every day.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,435
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

The pharmacist I feel has no right to question when you take the Lantus. Even the paper work that comes with it says that it can be injected any time of day. As long as you inject it about the same time every day.
James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Advisor
t1wayne
Total Posts: 952
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011

As James and Lizzy have already noted, anytime is okay to take Lantus, as long as it's at the SAME TIME every day.  BUT... on an historical note, the reason the (not up to date) "experts" think it's a nighttime insulin is that when the FDA approved it (in April 2000), it was based on initial trials wherein it was administered at bedtime (Doctors Guide).  Since then, further trials have indicated that regular administration at the same time is just as effective (Lantus.com).  And the stipulation that it be at the same time each day is due to the risk of overmedication causing low blood sugar, which can happen if a dose is administered less than 24 hours after the last dose.

Which brings us to Lantus' action times... it's approved as a 24-hour insulin.  The truth is, it varies by individual; but the guidelines cite the following:

Start acting 1 to 2 hours after injection;

Peak action is about 6 hours after injection;

End of action is between 18 and 26 hours after injection;

Lows associated with use are most likely to occur between 5 and 10 hours after injection.

That last is the main reason I personally administer my daily dose in the morning, followed by the next-to-last as the 2nd most important reason.

Just to further muddy the waters - many T1's (like me) take their Lantus split in 2 daily doses, to even things out.  Essentially, it's up to you to find the best times for you.  Good Luck!!

w.

Wayne T1 May 1966
MDI; 46u Lantus Basal
Established Advisor
dturney
Total Posts: 1,269
Registered on: ‎04-21-2011

awlyle wrote:

I have been injecting my Lantus in the morning 7 a.m. for the past 5 or 6 years.  I have also taken it at night 7p.m for anumber of years prior switching to mornings . I just get better results injecting in the a.m.:smileyhappy:

Diagnosed June 1970
MDI Humalog
DI Lantus
Metformin 500MG X 3
I am not young enough to know everything
Responder
awlyle

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for all the replies! It makes me feel better to know that others prefer taking theirs in the mornings as well. This is all so confusing and getting mixed messages from the doctor/pharmacist doesn't help. 

My doctor started me on 10 units of Lantus about 2 weeks ago along with a sliding scale humulin r (just until we get the Lantus dose where it needs to be) in addition to the 5mg glyburide twice a day.  On Friday she told me to start increasing the dose by 5 units every 3 days until my bs comes down to 150-180. Maybe I should split my dose because I'm struggling to get my numbers down. My sugar was 288 when I got up this morning.

Established Advisor
dturney
Total Posts: 1,269
Registered on: ‎04-21-2011

[ Edited ]

awlyle wrote:

Thank you so much for all the replies! It makes me feel better to know that others prefer taking theirs in the mornings as well. This is all so confusing and getting mixed messages from the doctor/pharmacist doesn't help. 

My doctor started me on 10 units of Lantus about 2 weeks ago along with a sliding scale humulin r (just until we get the Lantus dose where it needs to be) in addition to the 5mg glyburide twice a day.  On Friday she told me to start increasing the dose by 5 units every 3 days until my bs comes down to 150-180. Maybe I should split my dose because I'm struggling to get my numbers down. My sugar was 288 when I got up this morning.

I don't think splitting your dose of Lantus is a good idea unless your Doctor apporves....I inject 58 units of lantus each day ...you need to stay with the 5 units every three days until you start seeing some results....awlyle,  it will not happen overnight.....take your time ..you are on the right track....:smileyhappy:  How high is your BG at present???

Diagnosed June 1970
MDI Humalog
DI Lantus
Metformin 500MG X 3
I am not young enough to know everything
Responder
awlyle

[ Edited ]

My last A1c on 12/07/12 was 11 and my numbers have been terrible. I'm not new to diabetes but in the last couple of years have not really taken care of myself like I should have. After having a couple of A1c's in the low 6's I slacked off. 

I'm 39 and have already had a heart attack and bypass surgery and in December of last year my blood pressure shot up 220/130 and stayed very high for and my blood pressure medicine was not bringing it down so I ended up spending a couple of nights in the hospital for test. One of the test they did was the A1c. I had no idea that my sugar had gotten so out of control. Looking back the symptoms were all there.

I had taken metformin before without problems so she put me back on it at 500mg twice a day for a week and then increased to 1000mg twice a day. It made me so sick to my stomach that I couldn't take it so we went back to 500mg twice a day and added 5mg of glyburide. I was still getting sick so she increased the glyburide to 10mg twice a day but my bs still wasn't responding at all with numbers running in the 300-400 range. We had to do something to try and get my numbers down so she put me on 10 units of Lantus and told me to go back to taking 5 mg of glyburide twice a day.

My numbers are getting a little better, I've only had a couple of readings over 400 and am mostly staying in the 250-320 range. It's so frustrating right now because in the past I've been able to get my sugar down fairly easy. Now I'm having a harder time. I'm learning that any type of baked goods spikes my sugar for hours even with a shot of humulin. This morning I had a piece of turkey sausage on 1 small canned biscuit and 4 hours later my sugar was 309 and I had taken 6 units of humulin before I ate. I know I've got to get my numbers down and be serious about it this time. I'm frequently having blurry vision and a tingling/pins and needles feeling in my hands and fingers (not sure if that's related to the diabetes or not.

I'm waiting to get into diabetes education classes and I am so thankful for all the helpful information and people on this site to help me out while I wait.

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,262
Topics: 304
High Fives: 655
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

dturney wrote:

awlyle wrote:

I don't think splitting your dose of Lantus is a good idea unless your Doctor apporves....I inject 58 units of lantus each day ...you need to stay with the 5 units every three days until you start seeing some results....awlyle,  it will not happen overnight.....take your time ..you are on the right track....:smileyhappy:  How high is your BG at present???

I agree with Mr. Turney on this, since you have just been on the Lantus for two weeks. I am Type 1, and I split my Lantus 2x's daily for part of the year, and 3x's daily for a different part of the year. The difference here is, both Mr. Turney and I, have been on insulin for a very long time, whereas you have just started. Listen to your doctor, until you have much more experience, with using insulin.

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,137
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

[ Edited ]

I  use Lantus.  I agree with dturney.

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 10 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy: