Occasional Visitor
slok888888
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎10-02-2012

When is the best time take the diabetes medication

When is the best time take the diabetes  medication. I am take 2 Glyburide/Metformin 5/500 mg Tablet a day.  Take them same time or separately.  Please help.  Thank you. 

Established Advisor
blakflag1
Total Posts: 404
Registered on: ‎07-17-2012

Re: When is the best time take the diabetes medication

slok888888 wrote:

When is the best time take the diabetes  medication. I am take 2 Glyburide/Metformin 5/500 mg Tablet a day.  Take them same time or separately.  Please help.  Thank you. 

What directions did the doctor who prescribed these meds give you?

blakflag1 Rural Tennessee
3/28/12 A1c 8.9
6/22/12 A1c 6.7
10/22/12 A1c 5.2
Frequent Responder
Gibersor
Total Posts: 192
Registered on: ‎09-21-2012

Hi,

Your doctor should have stated when they wanted you to take the medications and it should be on the prescription label as well.  I'd check there first.  Your pharmacist can also tell you what the doctors instructions were and how to manage/minimize side effects.

How long have you been on them?   

Metformin is a drug that builds up in your body to an effective dose over several weeks.   I didn't find that it mattered , from an effectiveness perspective, when I took it.  What I did find is that metformin can be hard on people's digestive track.  It has all sorts of nicknames but I called it Metformin Revenge!   People report all sorts of stomach issues,cramps, nausousness, diarrhea, etc.  Others can pop the pills and have no side effects.  For me, metformin and coffee equals cramps and diarrhea so I take them with a snack when I get up and go to bed.  I have my coffee during the day.   I'd start with the doctors advice and then use trial and error to tune it to your body.

What dosage of Glyburide?

Glyburide is used to stimulate your pancreas to produce insulin.  I took mine before breakfast and bedtime with a snack to manage my peak times.  Don't play around with the timing on glyburide and don't double up on missed doses.

Good luck.

... Rob

Rob - Type 2 since 2005
Toronto, Canada
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,673
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,221
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

slok888888 wrote:

As the others have said, your doctor should have told you. We are just diabetics, not doctors.

Gibersor was correct. Some people also find that taking metformin with the meal reduces the possibility of gastro side effects.

Please contact your doctor; in the meantime I recommend you take the tablets with breakfast and dinner.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,260
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

With the metformin part of your med, the only reason to time the dosages is to minimize gastr0-disastro side effects.

But the Glyburide portion is powerful--it stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin, and can act pretty quickly. If you are taking it, or the combo pill, twice a day, you want to be sure to have a long time between doses--something like breakfast and dinner, for example.  Taking the 2 doses too close together could lead to seriously low blood glucose.

As noted your prescription vial should have times suggested, and your doctor should have instructed you. If not ask them

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...