Occasional Responder
sickenlysweet
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

What kind of bread???

So what type of bread should I eat for my sandwich?  Do you all eat Ezekiel sprout bread?
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

What kind of bread???

I sometimes eat Alvarado sprouted breads--wheich seem to be about ~14g of carbs per slice. A slice makes a reasonable snack, 2 a reasonable sandwich, though i make sure they are the only carbs inthe sandwich.

the key is finding bread that is low carb enough so that it does not spike you. Lots of protein with it  can lessen the spike, so less damage from a meat sandwich.

There are 2 ways to get lower carb--smaller slices, either cut thin, or light, becasue there is lots of air in them, or a lower carb recipe.  Rye and sourdough tend to impact blood glucose less than most straight wheat breads, and yes sprouted breads are  lower on the glycemic index than regular flour breads...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Established Advisor
efpat
Total Posts: 342
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

What kind of bread???

I have eaten ezeikel bread.  Two slices are sometimes too much and cause a spike.  I also eat Peppridge Farm Light Style - lower carb than Ezeikel but not as good.  And assorted versions of sandwich thins - 19 carbs per thin. Finally, Trader Joe's high protein bread is very similar to ezeikel. 

As Morris said, it is a matter of the total carbs including what is between the bread.

Try a few, test and see what works for you.

Evan

Evan
Diagnosed November 2007. A1C - 11.4, A1C since 5.2-6.0. Metformin 1000 2x a day.
Best comment I ever heard from someone with diabetes. - "I take my meds and I cheat every now and then." This was from a 95 year old woman living with type 2 for over 50 years!
Occasional Contributor
bob_mendon
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎08-24-2011

What kind of bread???

I use a good German "Voll Korn" bread with actuals grains in the dough or a German "farmers" bread which is a dark, whole grain bread. It's not great for toast but it does make a good sandwich.
Bob W
Newbie but learning
Type II Diabetic
Metformin 500mg x2 daily
Bayer Contour USB
iPhone and iPad BGluMon app

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

What kind of bread???

I eat a variety of small slice whole grain breads -- depends on what's on sale.  I avoid anything that's not whole grain, because the whole grains seem to slow the absorbtion of carbohydrates.  But I rarely have a two-slice sandwich even then.  When I do, I include not only meat, but a little cheese.  The fats from the cheese also slow absorbtion, and the sandwich is more satisfying hunger wise.  There are some low-carb breads out there, but they are harder on the budget.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

What kind of bread???

Where I live there are very few specially made "low carb" baked goods.

I did try the tiny slices made under the WeightWatchers name. Not very good bread. Saftway and a few other stores sell sprouted bread which is lower carb but a steady diet of those small slices got old very quickly.

I am now happily eating some whole grain breads baked in my own small supermarket chain.

They are small slices, about 10 grams of carb each and are great for a poached or scrambled egg on one slice of toast. I usually have a sandwich for lunch, 1 slice packed with meat and/or cheese and have cottage cheese along with it as well as a small serving of a fresh fruit (½ apple, nectarine, peach or some berries)

I can work bread into my diet and can usually make it part of a balanced meal.

Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

What kind of bread???

Whatever bread your meter says is good.

I've found that artisan bakery sourdough bread works best for me as it doesn't have any additives, particularly sugar.

You can get sourdough in many varieties - with nuts, cranberries, grains etc.,

Mostly, bread is bread - the carbs are pretty much the same, just the fibre and our meters differ.

Do some experimenting as what works for you may not work for me.

Cheers,
xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,909
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,978
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

What kind of bread???

I usually buy Nature's Own Double Fiber, which has about 9 grams of carbs per slice.  It's very good and available here at Giant and Safeway.  I also buy some of the whole grain low-carb wraps that are good too.  Wraps make a good alternative for sandwiches.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

What kind of bread???

Lizzy wrote...

I also buy some of the whole grain low-carb wraps that are good too.  Wraps make a good alternative for sandwiches

That is something I really must ask the stores here to get in for me and other diabetics in the area.

The full carb ones (about 30 grams I think) are just not doable for me and it is rather difficult to make a decent wrap just using ½.

What are some of the brand names? and carb content? do they make low carb pita?

Dianne
Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,137
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

What kind of bread???

I don't really care for sandwich bread.  But ever so often I want a sandwich or a roll with my bowl of soup .  I use Alvarado sprouted rolls.   I buy Sara Lee sandwich bread, it has 9 grams of carbs per slice. Expensive and not very yummy. Sometimes I wonder why I waste the carbs.

Recently I found a place call Pandera who makes artisan bread.  5 grams of fiber per serving.  I have been happy with that.  My understanding is I can subtract some of the carbs when I use a high fiber bread.  WW tortillas, low-carb tortillas, for other stuff like Quesadillas.
:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 10 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy: