Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Re: What is your favorite low-carb breakfast?

alan_s wrote:
I noted earlier that I was unhappy with this morning's peak post-breakfast at 8.2 (148). To me, that was much too high and has caused me to review that breakfast. I like to stay under 7(126). YMMV, but I would be unhappy with all of the spikes on your graph. You might like to check with your doctor about the statin you are taking and grapefruit. It is contraindicated for many medications, but especially statins: Mayo Clinic or Statins and Grapefruit: A Dangerous Combination 

The issue of damage due to high BG is one of area under the curve, and not the absolute peak. I am much happier with a sharp peak and quick return to normal, than having a low extended peak, and worse still one that does not return to well under 100 in a short period of time. You pick up a lot more area at the bottom of a pyramid than you do at the top. On statins I am fully aware of the issue, and it all depends on the statin. Mine has no issue with grapefruit and the only significant interaction is with anti acids that contain aluminum and magnesium. I only use Tums. No worries.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,144
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

LilMissDaisy wrote:

But everywhere I turned for diet information, they say to drink milk with every meal.  So confusing!

Where are you reading this stuff?  Maybe the Dairy council is pushing the milk thing?  

If you want milk in the morning try a little bit in a hot cup of tea.  Yummy.  Especially cinnamon tea.  

My breakfast: 2 sausages, 1 egg, low carb toast, 1/2 sugar jam.

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 100 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

LilMissDaisy wrote:  But everywhere I turned for diet information, they say to drink milk with every meal.  So confusing!

mhcarrs wrote:
Where are you reading this stuff?  Maybe the Dairy council is pushing the milk thing?  

If you want milk in the morning try a little bit in a hot cup of tea.  Yummy.  Especially cinnamon tea.  

My breakfast: 2 sausages, 1 egg, low carb toast, 1/2 sugar jam.

Diabetic Living says to drink milk with every meal, and the diabetes education class also says the same (ADA food plating method)

Super Advisor
mhcarrs

YMMV  It is your body.  And your body is telling you they are wrong in this milk situation.  I know you will find the amount that is right for you.  Are they concerned about calcium?  There are many ways to get calcium.  Milk really has no other attribute except the milk fat and sugar it contain. Lactose.  OK I admit it does taste creamy.  But I prefer Unsweetened vanilla Almond milk.  A lot easier on the bg.

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 100 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

mhcarrs wrote:  YMMV  It is your body.  And your body is telling you they are wrong in this milk situation.  I know you will find the amount that is right for you.  Are they concerned about calcium?  There are many ways to get calcium.  Milk really has no other attribute except the milk fat and sugar it contain. Lactose.  OK I admit it does taste creamy.  But I prefer Unsweetened vanilla Almond milk.  A lot easier on the bg.

You're so right!  Thanks and have a great low blood sugar weekend!

Super Advisor
mhcarrs

I was just thinking that we have not mentioned meal satisfaction.  It is very important to not overlook this. Especially in the morning.  It can set the tone for the whole day. :smileywink:

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

mhcarrs wrote:  I was just thinking that we have not mentioned meal satisfaction.  It is very important to not overlook this. Especially in the morning.  It can set the tone for the whole day. :smileywink:

Considering that I never used to breakfast, I don't care what I eat or how little - as long as I can satisfy my liver to stop dumping extra glucose.  Haha!

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,836
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,518
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

ronaka wrote:

Outcome considering only BG, perhaps, but not the road to get there...

Actually, on that point we agree :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)