Occasional Visitor
dfish
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎02-11-2010

What happens when my pancreas fails completely?

My insulin (lantus) has gone up from 50 to 75 in less than a month and my glucose has been averaging well over 200. This morning it was down to 169 (woo-hoo!), but it hasn't been anywhere in the "normal" range in months. Also on metformin and actos.

I have made the recommended lifestyle changes and it's still rather high.

It gets so frustrating and discouraging.

I know my pancreas is failing - what happens when it fails completely? Game over? How can I tell if it failed completely?

Thanks.
Contributor
chicagojen
Total Posts: 84
Registered on: ‎02-04-2010

Game over? Hardly! There's millions of type 1's who do not have a working pancreas. If your pancreas did indeed burn out (which should be determined by a doctor), you still have options. Unfortunately, you'll have the increased difficulties of managing no insulin production and insulin resistance.

You can continue meds that help with insulin resistance and try different insulin regimens. There's a variety of different types of insulin. And for the adventurous, you can also try the insulin pump.

But I have to add, that your increase in numbers do not always indicate that your pancreas is done. There's a variety of reasons why numbers suddenly jump. Often times, it requires an honest look at what's been going on. It could be stress, infection, or indulgences. Also, diabetes is an ever changing beast. These changes do not always mean we're at the end of our ropes. I can imagine the disappointed feelings of working hard and still getting out of range numbers....wait, I don't have to imagine. But don't feel defeated. Work with your medical care givers and alter you plan of action.

Good luck!
Frequent Responder
Anders2
Total Posts: 92
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

dfish (2/15/2010)

What are those recommended lifestyle changes?
How many carbs are you eating in one day?
Long Lost Member
dolphin3
Total Posts: 36
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

If indeed your pancaras is failing it is not the end of the world. Many, many people live long, productive lives using insulin.
If you could give us a bit more information on the lifestyle changes (specifics) you have made, there are people here that will be able to help. We need the details on diet, everything that goes in your mouth, what exercise you are doing and how long and the amount of Meds and timing of the meds. Nosey bunch, aren't we!
I'd bet with just a little "tweeking" things will be much better.
Dave
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

dfish (2/15/2010)
My insulin (lantus) has gone up from 50 to 75 in less than a month and my glucose has been averaging well over 200. This morning it was down to 169 (woo-hoo!), but it hasn't been anywhere in the "normal" range in months. Also on metformin and actos.

I know my pancreas is failing - what happens when it fails completely? Game over? How can I tell if it failed completely?

Thanks.

Once your pancreas stops working you just use insulin to control your BGN.
Do you exercise? We try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, it helps a lot in controling your numbers. We also limit carb intake and that goes a long way in controling your numbers as well. With exercise, lower carb intake and meds we can usually get your numbers in a normal range.

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
Advisor
Brenda8859
Total Posts: 1,770
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

dfish (2/15/2010)

Thanks.

Dfish, I understand completely what you're experiencing. Same is happening to me. I keep increasing my Lantus and Novolog (per doctor's instructions) and my fasting is not coming down. Still around 140-150 almost every morning. What does your doc say about testing to see if you are not producing any insulin of your own? I'd address your questions to the Dr. Every case is different. Could be you just need a little tweak in other meds. Discouraging and frustrating YES. Good to see you are exercising and eating low carb. We do what is necessary; when that doesn't work anymore, time to call the Doc and complain. HUGS, Brenda
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Contributor
jbronste
Total Posts: 428
Registered on: ‎01-13-2010

The pancreases of Type 1s still actually functionally do a bunch of stuff, they just don't produce insulin.
Contributor
chicagojen
Total Posts: 84
Registered on: ‎02-04-2010

Jamie Bronstein (2/15/2010)
The pancreases of Type 1s still actually functionally do a bunch of stuff, they just don't produce insulin.

Well, they don't lie when they say that you learn something new every day.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

One of the things pther things that the Pancreas does is release the hormone that stimulates the liver to release sugar when blood sugar drops too low. Actually I think it is the beta cells that do that, so I wonder how that works in T1s--could that in part explain why they are so much more prone to lows?
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,776
Topics: 190
High Fives: 1,228
Solutions: 141
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

dfish (2/15/2010)

Thanks.

I'll echo the question before replying further. What are the recommended lifestyle changes you are following?

Do they look anything like this (click on the coloured text): Test, Review, Adjust?
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)