Occasional Contributor
jerdonah
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎09-18-2011

What do you eat for breakfast?

Hello, I am starting learn what I can eat now and was wondering what works for you guys and how do you know it works? I am assuming testing 2 hours after eating should tell me if the meal is OK.

Jerry
Diagnosed 10/2010
Metformin 1000mg twice a day.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,892
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,960
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: What do you eat for breakfast?

jerdonah wrote:

Hello, I am starting learn what I can eat now and was wondering what works for you guys and how do you know it works? I am assuming testing 2 hours after eating should tell me if the meal is OK.

Hi Jerry, welcome.

Actually testing before and at your "peak" after will tell you if the meal is ok.

Read the links below to find out more:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs. :smileyhappy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

jerdonah wrote:

Jerdonah, Welcome to our group. :smileyhappy: 

Lizzy Lou has an excellent blog on Testing 101, so be sure to look for that.  In the meantime, I'll let you know that 2 hours may be your peak reading, or it may not be.  Only a series of tests after meals will tell you where your average peak reading will be.  Try testing first at the 45-60 minute point after you last bite -- it helps to test at that point because people eat at different speeds -- then test again at the 1 1/2 hour point, and again at 2 hours.  If you're like most of us, your peak will likely fall at one of the points usually.   I say "usually" because some meals will almost always cause your peak to be sooner than your average (fruit, things containing sugar or easily absorbed carbohydrates) or later (meals high in fat and protein -- also called the "pizza effect").  But if you can find your average peak reading, rather than burn through a lot of strips, you can start testing at this average peak time.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,504
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,407
Solutions: 157
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

jerdonah wrote:

G'day 

Try some of the ideas here for your first meal of the day: Breakfasts

Find your peak time, rather than two hours, then apply this: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,411
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Welcome Jerry

You have come to the right spot to have your questions answered. Please read the links that Lizzy and Alan have asked you to. They are very informative.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

I use Pepperridge Farms 7 grain lite style bread. 3 slices are 26 carbs. Smear a bit of butter on them, a slice of Am cheese, pop in oven till bubbly and gooey. Total29 carbs. But I'm not eating till 9 ish. That may be too many carbs for many, so try it at a different time. Plus, Now that it's cold everywhere but here, the oven heat feels pretty good.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,450
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I usually have some berries berries with about a hlf cup of Greek yogurt--total about 10-15 grams of carbs...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

jerdonah wrote:

Jerdonah, Right now my breakfast pattern is a small amount of Fiber1 cereal with a yogurt with fruit pieces in it. It is between 10 and 15 grams of carbohydrate (depending on my fasting number)

I found out that this works by testing. My morning fasting numbers are usually quite high and they stop rising if I eat right away and make sure I have some carbs.

Other breakfasts are cottage cheese with a little fruit or a piece of toast with melted full fat cheese.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

For me it's usually OatFit instant oats with under 20 carbs per packet topped with a pat of real butter.  If still "needy" I may have a second course of a fried egg and 2 breakfast sausage links. 

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Established Advisor
Suzzzie
Total Posts: 975
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

For breakfast this morning...

2 Eggs (over-easy)

1 Sausage Patty

1 Slice Healthy Life Whole Wheat Bread (8gr Carbs, 2.5g Fiber)

with Smart Balance spread

2 cups of Coffee

Fasting Blood Sugar this morning =   97

1 Hour Post Prandial                       = 117  :smileyvery-happy:

suzzzie
Type 2 since 2006