Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,804
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

Re: What can I eat?

nizar1986 wrote:

Today, we no longer talk plan for people with diabetes. To balance his meals, simply follow some simple dietary principales, acquire some knowledge about food and about their nutritional intake.

-Consuming mushrooms low Carbohydrate.

-Season the dishes with lemon juice wich lowers the rate of glucose (food and vegetables).

-Eat fiber: they reduce the speed of the passage of blood sugar.

Foods not to eat if you have diabetes:

-Sugar is to be avoided by those suffering from diabetes. White sugar, honey, jelly, jam, ice cream...

-The use of cream cheese, butter...

-Diabetics should stay away from refined floors.

-Even if a diabetic can eat healthy fruit, it is important to avoid those with high sugar. Oranges, Grapefruit, peaches are among the foods that should be avoided.

-Saturated fats are also prohibited for a diabetic. Fatty meats should be avoided.

-Taking drinks, such as soda, tea and coffee should be strictly regulated in diabetes.

Best Regards

Kraiem Nizar

http://bestdiabeticrecipes.org

Hello, Kraiem,

I'm not sure what you mean by "we no longer talk plan for people with diabetes."

I follow a meal plan and most people I know who have diabetes do it too--maybe not the same one I follow, but a plan that works for them. If you don't want to call it a "plan" that's fine, but I think a lot of us find that quite a bit of planning is called for if we want to keep our BG under control.

Personally, I eat as much as I want of all non-strachy veggies (like mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, green beans, etc). I avoid starchy veggies (like potatoes, corn, peas, acorn squash), but I sometimes eat them in limited quantities.

I disagree with a number of other things you say, such as...

-Sugar is to be avoided by those suffering from diabetes. White sugar, honey, jelly, jam, ice cream...

-Even if a diabetic can eat healthy fruit, it is important to avoid those with high sugar. Oranges, Grapefruit, peaches are among the foods that should be avoided.

I (and many other diabetics) eat these things but in limited quantities.

-Taking drinks, such as soda, tea and coffee should be strictly regulated in diabetes.

I don't have any dairy at all, but I know of many diabetics who do. Same thing with the drinks you mention (esp. if they're unsweetened).

The most important thing is to find what works for you. We don't all react the same way to the same foods. That's why using your meter is so important, so you can find out what does/doesn't work for you in managing your BG.

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Super Advisor
TikTok2
Total Posts: 2,153
Registered on: ‎05-13-2013

14andcounting wrote:

nizar1986 wrote:

Today, we no longer talk plan for people with diabetes. To balance his meals, simply follow some simple dietary principales, acquire some knowledge about food and about their nutritional intake.

-Season the dishes with lemon juice wich lowers the rate of glucose (food and vegetables).

-Eat fiber: they reduce the speed of the passage of blood sugar.

Foods not to eat if you have diabetes:

-Saturated fats are also prohibited for a diabetic. Fatty meats should be avoided.

Best Regards

Kraiem Nizar

Hello, Kraiem,

I'm not sure what you mean by "we no longer talk plan for people with diabetes."

I follow a meal plan and most people I know who have diabetes do it too--maybe not the same one I follow, but a plan that works for them. If you don't want to call it a "plan" that's fine, but I think a lot of us find that quite a bit of planning is called for if we want to keep our BG under control.

Personally, I eat as much as I want of all non-strachy veggies (like mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, green beans, etc). I avoid starchy veggies (like potatoes, corn, peas, acorn squash), but I sometimes eat them in limited quantities.

I disagree with a number of other things you say, such as...

I (and many other diabetics) eat these things but in limited quantities.

I don't have any dairy at all, but I know of many diabetics who do. Same thing with the drinks you mention (esp. if they're unsweetened).

The most important thing is to find what works for you. We don't all react the same way to the same foods. That's why using your meter is so important, so you can find out what does/doesn't work for you in managing your BG.

Hi 14andcounting:

I got suspicious and looked to see what this person has been posting. Most of the posts come with a link. I think this person is spamming and I reported it to admin. If I am wrong, I apologize.

TikTok2

• Diabetes on both sides of my family.
• Assumed trouble metabolizing sugar as long as I can remember; migraines induced by hunger, very sleepy after meals high in carbohydrates from childhood. Learned how to avoid sugar and lots of complex carbs early on.
• Since early 2000s, "prediabetes" controlled through low carb diet and exercise, mostly walking. FBG 95-105, A1c below 6; glucose tolerance test was borderline.
• But weight drifted upwards but working on it.
• NAFLD brought under control with pravastatin.
• Metformin ER, 500 mg, started sept 2013 when A1c reached 6.5 despite diet and exercise regiment since early 2000s. A1c back down to ~6.0.
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,804
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

TikTok2 wrote:

14andcounting wrote:

nizar1986 wrote:

Best Regards

Kraiem Nizar

Hi 14andcounting:

I got suspicious and looked to see what this person has been posting. Most of the posts come with a link. I think this person is spamming and I reported it to admin. If I am wrong, I apologize.

I think you're probably right, Tik Tok. I don't think there's anything wrong with reporting him if there's a suspicion that's what he's doing.

I clicked on his link--based on what I found, I sure wouldn't follow his advice. And he does seem to be trying to sell a book, though I'm not 100% sure of that...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years