Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,493
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: What Does ADA say about BG levels

newdiabetic wrote:

I test much higher after dinner that I do at lunch even if I eat exactly the same thing.  Is this unusual to have a certain time of day that you run higher?

The glucose levels aren't cumulative throughout the day are they?  I had the same lunch and dinner yesterday and 2 hours after lunch it was 102;  2 hours after dinner 168.  This doesn't make much sense to me.  I had a snack about two hours prior to dinner of about 10 carbs. It was 2 peanut butter crackers. 

It might make perfect sense IF you had tested before both  of the identical meals. Perhaps you were at 75 before lunch, but at 140 before dinner. In that case the same meal increased you the same amount each time. You might have been higher before dinner because of the snack.

To some extent, yes, you are more sensitve ot carbs based on the time of day. Usually, however, people are most sensitive in the morning, and least senstive in the evening. So while time of day might be an explanation here, more likley you were higher before dinner than you were just before lunch.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,746
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,488
Solutions: 167
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

newdiabetic wrote:

I just called my doctors office a few days ago and got 300 test strips prescribed because I've been testing a lot lately.  I only eat 27 carbs at breakfast every day so that's usually one of my lowest readings.  I test much higher after dinner that I do at lunch even if I eat exactly the same thing.  Is this unusual to have a certain time of day that you run higher?

"Only" and "27 carbs at breakfast" would be mutually contradictory terms in my place. I "only" eat less than 10 gms carb at breakfast if I want to avoid a blood glucose spike. I read your earlier posts. Have you found your post-breakfast peak timing yet? If not, try testing at 30, 60, 75 and 90 minutes for a couple of days to try to find it, then just use that peak time in future.

We all find different diurnal variations. In my case breakfast is my most difficult time and dinner is easiest. It sounds like you may be the opposite. That is why you need to test enough to find what your personal limits are, because, just like my difference at breakfast, what works for me may not work for you. Find your most consistent peak timing then apply this technique: Test, Review, Adjust

The glucose levels aren't cumulative throughout the day are they?  I had the same lunch and dinner yesterday and 2 hours after lunch it was 102;  2 hours after dinner 168.  This doesn't make much sense to me.  I had a snack about two hours prior to dinner of about 10 carbs. It was 2 peanut butter crackers.

No, they aren't cumulative in the sense you imply, although sustained high levels may have a long-term cumulative effect.

You may have peaked at different times after lunch and dinner. Two hours may have been the wrong time at lunch and the right time at dinner; that is why it helps to know when you peak.

Your levels through the day are dynamic, affected from moment to moment depending on the food you eat, the time it takes to digest, your physical activity, the efficiency of your insulin production and delivery system, stress, and many other factors including the meds you may be taking. However, apart from medications, the two most important factors that you can control actively are your menu and your physical activity.

There will be variations; this is not an exact science. But if you do enough testing at the appropriate times you will start to see trends for each type of food and each time of day that will allow you to be more selective in your future menu choices for better results. Don't get frustrated by the variations you see at this early stage. You are looking for trends over time. One result may be informative, two will be better, but the real information will appear over weeks.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
newdiabetic
Total Posts: 275
Registered on: ‎11-06-2011

Thank you Lizzy.  The information on false lows really helped me.  I have been having those strange feelings after breakfast that felt like low blood sugar, but it isn't low.  I have been hypoglycemic most of my life until I developed type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed at the age of 14.  I have always had to eat regular meals and high protein snacks with juice in between.

I'm very familar with the weakness, shaking and out of focus feelings.  False lows explains why I still get this sometimes now.  My BG has never been below 85, so far as I know, since being diagnosed and cutting back on carbs.  One more question, please.  Would it be better on the BG rise to eat half a grapefruit sometimes instead of 4 oz. juice?  Would the rise be slower?

Advisor
newdiabetic
Total Posts: 275
Registered on: ‎11-06-2011

I think I'm in too much of a hurry.  I want to fix it and fix it now!  Impossible with diabetes, I know.

I like to have control and with the other illnesses that I have there is little to no control.  I cannot do anything about some of the things I have to deal with.   When I was diagnosed with diabetes and given the dietary instructions, I thought,"oh good, I can control this one" and to a certain extent, I can.  But I have to have more patience!!!

That might not make sense to some, but my life is almost total frustration these last few years (medically speaking).  What you said about the 27 carb breakfast,  I was referring to the instructions that my doc gave me that said 50 carbs each for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  In that respect, it was only 27..  I sleep mostly days so my hours are reversed and I think that may be why my highest BG is after dinner. Don't know.  For me, that's a different timeframe than most.  I have sleep disorders related to the CFS and Fibromyalgia.  (It also makes it possible to "talk" to folks on the other side of the world.  I like that.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,493
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

newdiabetic wrote:

I think I'm in too much of a hurry.  I want to fix it and fix it now!  Impossible with diabetes, I know.

I like to have control and with the other illnesses that I have there is little to no control.  I cannot do anything about some of the things I have to deal with.   When I was diagnosed with diabetes and given the dietary instructions, I thought,"oh good, I can control this one" and to a certain extent, I can.  But I have to have more patience!!!

That might not make sense to some, but my life is almost total frustration these last few years (medically speaking).  What you said about the 27 carb breakfast,  I was referring to the instructions that my doc gave me that said 50 carbs each for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  In that respect, it was only 27..  I sleep mostly days so my hours are reversed and I think that may be why my highest BG is after dinner. Don't know.  For me, that's a different timeframe than most.  I have sleep disorders related to the CFS and Fibromyalgia.  (It also makes it possible to "talk" to folks on the other side of the world.  I like that.

nd--you say two important, quite true things there--

You can control this one, even if the results are not instantaneous.  But they will come if you do the right things.

Second the fact that you are on a reversed schedule  mght mean that your blood glucose patterns,  couldt be the opposite, on a 24 hours schdeule, of some of us. If so, your meal when you awaken would be like your breakfast, and might be the time when you tolerate carbs the least.Or not--but your meter can answer that question...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...