suzyhager
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎10-23-2013

When you purchase a Relion Prime...

I purchased a Relion Prime just days ago.  I bought two containers of test strips.   I've received mostly the error messages than a proper reading.  I finally read the instructions which helps.

My old meter would not work if I supplied too little blood.  That didn't happen very often.

This meter, the Prime, you get error messages if you supply too MUCH.   The test strips are designed to that you don't just stick it into the blood.  Just touch the "end" of the stick into the blood and it draws it up into the test area.  If you hold it too long TOO much blood goes in.  Result of that E13 error message. 

Watch the blood enter the test area and pull strip away fast as it reaches the end.   Helps to not get a big drop of blood in the first place.

I'm already on my second vial of strips in just days.   I hope to learn how to do this to take advantage of this low price for strips.

Any hints?

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,416
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: When you purchase a Relion Prime...

soyhager wrote:

I purchased a Relion Prime just days ago.  I bought two containers of test strips.   I've received mostly the error messages than a proper reading.  I finally read the instructions which helps.

My old meter would not work if I supplied too little blood.  That didn't happen very often.

This meter, the Prime, you get error messages if you supply too MUCH.   The test strips are designed to that you don't just stick it into the blood.  Just touch the "end" of the stick into the blood and it draws it up into the test area.  If you hold it too long TOO much blood goes in.  Result of that E13 error message. 

Watch the blood enter the test area and pull strip away fast as it reaches the end.   Helps to not get a big drop of blood in the first place.

I'm already on my second vial of strips in just days.   I hope to learn how to do this to take advantage of this low price for strips.

Any hints?

I also  have the ReliOn Prime meter. An E13 error code only means that not enough blood was applied to the strip. This is what it says on page 63 in the manual, "Not enough blood was added to the test strip. Retest with a new test strip. Apply at least 0.5uL of blood to the sample application tip."  The words "at least" tell me that you can have a lot of blood on the strip and not get a E13 code. Please read the manual again.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Advisor
-jax-
Total Posts: 471
Registered on: ‎08-21-2013

jpg391 wrote:

soyhager wrote:

Any hints?

I also  have the ReliOn Prime meter. An E13 error code only means that not enough blood was applied to the strip. This is what it says on page 63 in the manual, "Not enough blood was added to the test strip. Retest with a new test strip. Apply at least 0.5uL of blood to the sample application tip."  The words "at least" tell me that you can have a lot of blood on the strip and not get a E13 code. Please read the manual again.

James, I also get an E13 when too much blood is applied.  It seems that it is a standard error code for an inappropriate sample size, whether too little or too much, despite what the manual says or doesn't say.

Just my experience.

@hager:  The ReliOn Prime does seem a bit *touchier* than the Ultra2 I previously used, but the difference in price between the testing strips is so amazing, it's been well worth the effort to adjust, for me.  I try to rest my sample hand on something firm and then slowly and gently move the meter to the sample, allowing it to *drink up* the sample rather than applying the sample to the strip.  Seems to make a difference.

Good luck!!

Peace,

-jax-

Peace,
-jax-

A1c: Aug13--11.3, Oct13--6.6
Fbg: July13--302, Oct13--106
Chol: Aug13--266, Oct13--201
HDL: Aug13--51, Oct13--62
LDL(C): Aug13--156, Oct13--112
LDL(R): xxx, Oct13--86
ApoB: xxx, Oct13--88
Trg: Aug13--295, Oct13--118

Managing with ketogenic diet and exercise (no pharmaceuticals, some natural medicinals). For now. Life is a moving target.

"Ring Ring. Ring Ring. Time to WAKE UP!"
-Diabetes calling

"Everyone will PLEASE not panic."
-Albus Dumbledore
Super Advisor
Janet754
Total Posts: 1,691
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I use 2 different meters both Relion.  I might go back to the prime because my tests strips went up over $10 more for 100 strips.  They are usually within a few points of each other when I test. 

Janet (born on the 4th of July)
Advisor
gimdaz
Total Posts: 99
Registered on: ‎08-31-2010

Re: Wal-Mart Reli-On Prime meter

Recently I went to Walmart and got one of the Reli-On Prime meter's and some strips but forgot to get some test solution. Any way I get  home and it's close to time to check my BS before dinner and I open the box containing the strips and then open the box containing the meter. I was a little shocked not to see a lancing device or lancers with the meter. The other meters that I have One Touch Ultra (I use it the most), One Touch Mini (is my travel meter), & Contour Next USB (I keep it at work just in case I forget my Mini, plus I got it free) all came with a lancing devise and lancers. Any way I get my Ultra and the Prime set up, use the Ultra's lancing device and test on the same drop of blood and the Prime is 50 points higher. So I go and re wash my hands and set up again the Prime is 20 points higher. So then I eat dinner do some exercises for about 15 - 30 min. and 2 hrs after dinner I test again 5 points difference. Ok I can live with that.

What's got my curiosity is why the meter didn't come with a lancing device and sample lancers like all of the others do? Has anyone else experienced this or am I the only one?

Gima

T2 since 02/19/09
ARNG 30 years retired
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,164
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

Same thing happened with me, but we have lots of lancers since there are two of us with diabetes.  My husband recently had a change in meters through his medicare mail order supply, and no new lancing device. 

My meter has similar readings to his Ultra 2.  I don't have health insurance, so the Reli-On is a must for me since the strips are so economical.   

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Super Advisor
girlsaylor
Total Posts: 512
Registered on: ‎08-01-2013

In reading the posts about so many people having error messages, I feel truly blessed that my Relion Prime does not have the problems with error messages. I think it happened to me twice, maybe. My original meter has given me an error message once.

This said, if others are like me and not getting error message issues with the Relion Prime, I would think it's a meter issue and that the manufacturer should replace the meter. I don't care how cheap the test strips are, the meters are allowed to very by +-20 points, not allowed to err constantly. There's a difference. I would say these meters are faulty and you have a good case to have the meters replaced, folks.

If I remember correctly, there are two different companies supplying the Relion Prime? If that is the case, I wonder if the issues are with only one of the manufacturers? I've not read anything on this, but maybe someone else knows something. At any rate, it's really not acceptable for these meters to not be able to read your blood sample, as, after all, who can control the volume of blood that is obtained by lancet? I mean, really. Am I the only one who's not buying this?

Girlsaylor
If you are willing to let someone lead you, make sure he is worthy.

Early T2 Diabetes (a Lizzy-ism)
A1C 5.7 as of April 2013
A1c 5.6 Dec 2013
A1C 5.5 March 2014
FBG 107, March 2014

Weight loss:
April 2013 195 #
August 2013 191#
December 3, 2013 171#
April 16, 2014, 167#
Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,721
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

girlsaylor wrote:

If I remember correctly, there are two different companies supplying the Relion Prime? If that is the case, I wonder if the issues are with only one of the manufacturers? I've not read anything on this, but maybe someone else knows something. At any rate, it's really not acceptable for these meters to not be able to read your blood sample, as, after all, who can control the volume of blood that is obtained by lancet? I mean, really. Am I the only one who's not buying this?

The Prime is made by Arkray only, but the other Relion meters have different manufacturers.  I have been using the prime since June and have had really no issues with it.  I just make sure I have a large sample before touching the strip to the droplet..Letting it wick up the proper amount of blood.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4

Lipids TC 203, LDL 110, VLDL 20, Triglycerides 100, HDL 73
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,700
Topics: 75
High Fives: 941
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I've been thinking about this problem some people seem to have with getting an error message that says they don't have enough blood when they are pretty sure they have more than enough. 

Many years ago now, my meter manufacturer intoduced a new style of test strip for their existing meters.  Instead of trying to apply a drop of blood to the testing spot on the meter, we had to just touch the edge of the test strip to the blood drop and let the strip "sip" up the blood into the test area. Some people had a lot of trouble because they didn't realize that the testing area was covered with clear plastic and the only opening was on the edge of the strip, between the layers of plastic.

Now I've only seen drawings of the ReliOn strips, not photos, but it looks to me as though they also need to be filled at the edge, not on the flat surface.  I wonder if some people are trying their hardest to apply blood to the top surface of the strips instead of letting it be pulled into the edge of the strip by capillary action. Even if they eventually get enough blood into the strip, it may be too late, and the strip may react as though it didn't have enough blood for an accurate test when it started.

Obviously I am just guessing, but I wonder if that sort of explanation might make a difference to some people.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Advisor
-jax-
Total Posts: 471
Registered on: ‎08-21-2013

mollythed wrote:

I've been thinking about this problem some people seem to have with getting an error message that says they don't have enough blood when they are pretty sure they have more than enough. 

Many years ago now, my meter manufacturer intoduced a new style of test strip for their existing meters.  Instead of trying to apply a drop of blood to the testing spot on the meter, we had to just touch the edge of the test strip to the blood drop and let the strip "sip" up the blood into the test area. Some people had a lot of trouble because they didn't realize that the testing area was covered with clear plastic and the only opening was on the edge of the strip, between the layers of plastic.

Now I've only seen drawings of the ReliOn strips, not photos, but it looks to me as though they also need to be filled at the edge, not on the flat surface.  I wonder if some people are trying their hardest to apply blood to the top surface of the strips instead of letting it be pulled into the edge of the strip by capillary action. Even if they eventually get enough blood into the strip, it may be too late, and the strip may react as though it didn't have enough blood for an accurate test when it started.

Obviously I am just guessing, but I wonder if that sort of explanation might make a difference to some people.

Molly:

Yes, the ReliOn strips are as you surmised...they need to be filled at the end edge of the strip through capillary action.

That said, I *have* gotten E13 errors (supposedly "not enough" sample), when I know for certain the sample was quite large enough, and I believe that it overfilled.  A drawing on the instructions shows that excess of blood is also not desirable, but apparently (or at least as far as I know...I'm too lazy at the mo to go find my manual), there isn't a separate code for too large a sample size.

Just my experience...

Peace,

-jax-

Peace,
-jax-

A1c: Aug13--11.3, Oct13--6.6
Fbg: July13--302, Oct13--106
Chol: Aug13--266, Oct13--201
HDL: Aug13--51, Oct13--62
LDL(C): Aug13--156, Oct13--112
LDL(R): xxx, Oct13--86
ApoB: xxx, Oct13--88
Trg: Aug13--295, Oct13--118

Managing with ketogenic diet and exercise (no pharmaceuticals, some natural medicinals). For now. Life is a moving target.

"Ring Ring. Ring Ring. Time to WAKE UP!"
-Diabetes calling

"Everyone will PLEASE not panic."
-Albus Dumbledore