Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,327
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Wal-Mart Reli-On Prime meter

I purchased the Reli-On Prime meter that comes with the $9 for 50 strips.  I used it to compare for accuracy on my lab test on Monday and unfortunately it was super inaccurate.  My lab came back as 101 and the meter at 133.  I had only used it for a couple of days and it seemed high comparing it to my Contour TS but I wanted the lab be the final judge.

Needless to say, it's going back and I have already ordered more Contour TS strip.  Darn, I was hoping to save some money.  :smileymad:

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,854
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Wal-Mart Reli-On Prime meter

ffmaya wrote:

I purchased the Reli-On Prime meter that comes with the $9 for 50 strips.  I used it to compare for accuracy on my lab test on Monday and unfortunately it was super inaccurate.  My lab came back as 101 and the meter at 133.  I had only used it for a couple of days and it seemed high comparing it to my Contour TS but I wanted the lab be the final judge.

Needless to say, it's going back and I have already ordered more Contour TS strip.  Darn, I was hoping to save some money.  :smileymad:

I sure wouldn't give it just one test.  Have you tested both meters side by side at once?  Also knowing that it runs high doesn't mean that you still can't use it.  It's not like any meter is 100% accurate and you're looking for trends not perfection.

Others have said that the meter was accurate for them.  For the difference in costs, I'd just factor in high/low results.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
ffmaya

lizzylou wrote:
I sure wouldn't give it just one test.  Have you tested both meters side by side at once?  Also knowing that it runs high doesn't mean that you still can't use it.  It's not like any meter is 100% accurate and you're looking for trends not perfection.

Others have said that the meter was accurate for them.  For the difference in costs, I'd just factor in high/low results.

Lizzy 

I have tested it several times against my Contour and it was always quite a bit higher but I wanted to go by the labwork because that is the most accurate.  I know there are none that are 100%, but I would like mine to be at least as close a possible.  Thankfully the price difference is about $2.50 per 50 strips.

Frequent Responder
snha44
Total Posts: 72
Registered on: ‎07-12-2012

I tested it again freestyle and both gave exact numbers twice and within 5 points in the other few times. Haven't checked it against lab work though. I should do that when I get that done.

snha
diagnosed on 6/22/12
at diagnosis, a1c was 9.1 and bg was 214
a1c on September 10 was 6.8
no medicine. weight loss, exercise, and healthy diabetic eating
Super Advisor
ffmaya

Maybe it's just a bad meter?

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,601
Topics: 74
High Fives: 883
Solutions: 107

You could try calling the customer service number.  They might even send you a new meter.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Responder
weimardog
Total Posts: 38
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I have 3 different types of meters, I'm a little on the **bleep** side, and none of them have ever been close to my lab work.  2 weeks ago, I was tested and my fasting glucose was 94.  Before I left home, I checked it and it was 124.  I guess lab test will always be more accurate.

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

One thing to remember is that when they do the lab work if they draw from the vein you are going to see different results than if they do a finger stick as the fingerstick will use capillary blood. You want to make sure that the meter test and the lab test are from the same blood. My meter is always spot on. I think it probably would be a good idea to let the meter company know of the huge discrepancy though. They should send you a new meter for free.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
ffmaya

deafmack wrote:

One thing to remember is that when they do the lab work if they draw from the vein you are going to see different results than if they do a finger stick as the fingerstick will use capillary blood. You want to make sure that the meter test and the lab test are from the same blood. My meter is always spot on. I think it probably would be a good idea to let the meter company know of the huge discrepancy though. They should send you a new meter for free.

I will contact them to get the meter replaced and see if that one is more accurate.  Don't know why I didn't think about that to begin with. Duh!

I also checked from the same blood source, as I do every time they take blood.  That is the reason I was so surprised. 

Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356

It seems to test me higher than the one touch meter I was using.  However, since I know that, I'm not as likely to get bummed about a higher number.  I'm going to use it anyway.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0