Long Lost Member
betiann6282
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎04-23-2010

Victoza vs Byetta

Insurance no longer covers Victoza which has been VERY successful for me for 9 months along with max Metformin 3x/day.  I went from  BS 175 to 150 in the 1st week.  BS 100-120 steady up until the switch last Monday to Byetta. 

Next day BS 130 and now 5 days later on Byetta, I am back to pre-Victoza of BS 175!!!  I want to cry!  No change in diet or exercise which is stable and routine.  I will stay with the .5 mg 2x/day Byetta another week before I contact my Dr. and see if it gets any better. 

I question whether he should have started me on the 1.2 mg 2x/day instead as I had left 1.2 mg 1x/day Victoza which was wonderful.  When I had started the Victoza 9 months ago, Dr. had started me with .5 mg and then I adjusted so well and wanted even better BG's so he increased to 1.2 mg about 2 months later and that proved to be just right.   Or maybe I need to inject the 2nd dose of Byetta at noon instead of evening as it is suppose to be no less than 6 hrs apart.  My 2 biggest meals are breafast and lunch.  If there's a special evening meal, I may eat light at noon and then take the 2nd dose before the bigger evening meal.  This is more work than I am used to with the Victoza and need some advise.  By the way, I could go back to the Victoza and pay $400/month out of pocket or stay with the Byetta at $87.50 for 3 months.  HELP!
Beti Ann
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Victoza vs Byetta

Hello, Betiann!  There probably aren't as many people around on the weekend, so maybe you'll get some more replies next week.  But I wanted to bump your post up, so someone with Byetta and Victoza experience might see it.  And I'd also like to mention that after 9 months of exercising, you have most likely increased your fitness level, which may have something to do with your numbers, because when we increase our fitness levels, we have to work harder to increase heart rate and decrease blood glucose.  You say that your exercise is stable and routine.  What are the details of your current daily exercise plan?  Maybe there are ways to improve on it (if you're so inclined, of course).  I have had to deal with the same thing.  People sometimes don't realize that it doesn't take much to increase fitness level with regular daily exercise, and they sometimes give up just when they need to be turning it up a notch.  "Why?" we ask our bodies.  Our bodies reply "Because you can!"
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Long Lost Member
betiann6282

Victoza vs Byetta

With no significant change in my diet and exercise, the drastic change in BG numbers from Victoza to Byetta during the first 5 days is my concern right now.  Can it be the dosage amount or the timing of the Byetta or something else?  Have I not given the transition enough time for my body to adapt?  I just want to know if anyone else has had such a change from Victoza to Byetta and what I can do to make Byetta work as well as Victoza.  I have no problem with the added injection (for the $ difference!) and nausa is there (with both meds) but I view it as a good thing to keep me on track with my food plan.

My exercise routine varies seasonally.  I'm just transitioning from indoor gym time which consisted of 3 days a week with 30 min treadmill, 15 min weights, 30 min lap swimming and a dance class occassionally to break up the routine Nov-May.  The weather has been getting warmer some days the past few weeks so instead of all gym time I walk on a 3 mile trail.  This time of year I walk when it is nice and gym-time when it is not.  I also have an elliptical in my home that gets a lot of use (45 min) whenever the other options are not met.  It is used especially when the daylight is short or my days ran long as it is convenient.  Overall I never do less than 3 days/week of one of these options and typically 4-5 days/week.  I also add/replace with normal activities at times.  Like yesterday, I raked the yard for 4 hours so I will do no additional exercise that day. I also am gardening soon.  The past few weekends was spring house cleaning; windows, floors, woodwork, etc. 

May-Oct, I walk the 3-mile trail nearby and begin to include biking on nearby rail-to-trail areas.  I have no problem doing 5 hrs trips on the weekend 1-2x/month.  Otherwise, 14 miles in one hour is my normal routine locally and that replaces the gym-time.  I also swim and fly-fish.  My BP is normal with 120/70 typical and resting HR in the 60's.  I am 57 years old. 
Beti Ann
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Victoza vs Byetta

I haven't taken either med, but it sounds like you started with a lesser dosage of Byetta compared to the Victoza dose you were on, so it would make sense to wait until you are on the equivalent dosage before getting too blue about it. It was the increase to the larger doseage of Victoza that got you the good numbers, so the same could be true here-they are supposed to be fairly similar.

Sounds like the exercise is not an issue...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Victoza vs Byetta

I took Byetta for nearly two years and tried Victoza.  Byetta and Victoza are both GLP-1 analogs, so they work in the same way.  There are some things you should note, first Byetta is time sensitive, it needs to be taken to peak when needed.  Although the instructions suggest taking it 15 minutes-1hr before eating, my endo recommended taking it 1hr before eating.  You may need to adjust the timing.  The second thing is that Byetta is has a starting dose of 5mcg, but for many, it is not effective until you reach 10 mcg.  It is probably best to inject Byetta for your largest meals during the day.  Stacking the Byetta doses earlier than 6 hours apart or all at once can cause excessive nausea.

I really think you should move up to a full Byetta dose and make sure your timing is right before concluding that the Byetta doesn't work.
Long Lost Member
betiann6282

Victoza vs Byetta

I'm thinking you are are the right track about dosage.  It is disheartening to have to wait until I can have an increase if that is the solution.  I have purchased a 3-month supply of .5 mg as prescribed and it is a shame that I may have to 'waste' 2 months should I need the increase to be as effective as I am used too. 
Beti Ann
Long Lost Member
betiann6282

Victoza vs Byetta

I'm thinking that the time-sensitivity of Byetta is key...something I didn't have to worry about with Victoza.  I wil try waiting up to the full hour for injection before my 2 biggest meals this week and see if there is an improvement in my BG's.  I did not know that it could make a difference.  I just thought that injection anytime between 1-60 minutesbefore the meal  was more about convenience than effectiveness.  Thank you!
Beti Ann
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Victoza vs Byetta

I was taking Byetta and had to experiment with the amount of time before eating that I took it.  One hour was way too long (for me) as I'd start feeling nauseous.  Eventually I settles on half an hour before eating.
You really need to eat with Byetta - unlike Victoza which is slow release, Byetta needs to be taken before food.
Also, 5mcg is a starting dose of Byetta and after a month it's usual to start on 10mcg.  Victoza is taken in .6mg, 1.2mg or 1.8mg doses.

Cheers,
xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Victoza vs Byetta

I wouldn't think you would have to waste  2 month\s--but rather that you would have to double up to use it when your prescription is increased.

I have the opposite going on now--I had a med at 20 mg, now at 10 mg, so rather than refilling the  prescription, I am splitting the old ones...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Long Lost Member
betiann6282

Victoza vs Byetta

Yes, I had been taking .6 mg Victoza just before my first meal each day for 1 month then changed to 1.2 mg with great success for 8 months.  Because my insurance will no longer cover the cost of Victoza, I changed to Byetta which is more work with twice daily injections and the timing is significant (1-60 min before meal).  I'm trying to determine if it is my timng or my dosage that needs adjustment (or both).  This is now the beginning of my 2nd week and I have decided to go from injection 1-15 minutes before meal the first week to 45-60 minutes before meal with the prescribed .5 mg Byetta.  If that does not improve my BG's to closer to my Victoza results, I will call Dr and request dosage increase from .5 to .10 mg.  I guess I'm disappointed that I have to go through this 'beginning dose' disruption when the purpose is likely to adjust to the nausea which I already did 8-9 months ago with Victoza!
Beti Ann