Advisor
dinycat
Total Posts: 266
Registered on: ‎04-27-2010

VA and shingles vaccine

I thought this worthy of a separate thread. 

My PCP recommended the shingles vaccine for me, but insurance won't cover it.  It costs $250.00 here near Chicago.

Interestingly, my husband automatically got it for free at the VA on his last visit.  Just another one of the many lovely perks of having served in Vietnam. There are so many, don't you know.  Agent Orange has killed off so many of the Vietnam veterans, but those left get a free shot.

Anyway, you veterans might want to check it out.

dinycat

Established Advisor
greydogs
Total Posts: 1,017
Registered on: ‎12-13-2010

Re: VA and shingles vaccine

Thanks for the suggestion dinycat. The biggest problem we have here is just getting an appointment. I've been trying to get a follow-up diabetes appointment with our local VA hospitals for over a year. Each time I call I get the same runaround, they tell me they'll call when an appointment time opens, but the call never comes.

I know they have their hands full with the latest crop of vets, but geese this is frustrating.
A1C
--11.4- 12/23/09 (at diagnosis)
--9.3- 1/21/10
--5.8- 4/25/10
--6.1- 6/15/13
--5.8--8/5/13
--6.1--3/14/14(most recent)
Heart bypass surgery 1/10/13
Managing bg with diet and exercise.

Advisor
dinycat

Grey

The VA charged my husband $8.00 for the vaccine.  I thought it was free, but still it's a nominal fee, compared to $250.00.

dinycat

Advisor
blacst
Total Posts: 97
Registered on: ‎04-30-2010

The fee may be less or nonexistent depending on the vets service connection.

Type I by acute alcoholic pancreatitis (Now I know it is LADA) Former Marine with combat trama PTSD. Sober now.

Lantus 31 units, 1 : 7 Insulin (Novolog) to Carb Ratio.
gastroparesis complication from DB
Advisor
dinycat

Welcome home!

dinycat