Super Advisor
mrgee59
Total Posts: 749
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Update- after being away for a while

I apologize toall my friends on this Type2 board for not being active here. First I'd like to wish all a very Happy Thanksgiving. I know some of you are Canadian so I hope you had a good holiday as well. Secondly, my sugar is under control, my last HBA1c  was 5.7 so my doctor and I are both happy. I'm still suffering from spinal issues despite the surgery in March. Fortunately, my spine center was dealing directly with Pfizer for their injectible epidurals and not the Massachusets firm. 

I've had several issues this fall with the back ever since going to Chicago for a wedding. I wasn't sure if it was the flight, the walking or what but had to miss a family wedding that we went for. Morris Older has been with me on Facebook and aware of some of what my wife and I have been dealing with. I had two MRIs last week that now show that there is scar tissue on the sciatic nerve root that is referring pain again down the leg, the back and into both hips. I've been given another epidural right onto that nerve root and exercises and stretches that are designed to ease the discomfort. Sitting or standing for an hour  is still difficult. Everytime I go to my spine center doctor I see people, some olderbut most younger who are in worse shape than me, bent over, spinal braces and in wheel chairs. This fall I'm very thankful that I'm lucky to be in the shape I'm in, I'm able to drive short distances, go shopping and spend a lot of time with my reading and photography. The arthritis in my hands, shoulders and knees is slightly worse but not that bad.

Like I said earlier, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. Hang  in there!

Dennis

May, 2013 HbA1c= 6.2: Metformin 1000mg 2X Daily, Glimeperide 4mg, once daily, 9mg prednisone daily, numerous vitamins,Lyrica 75mg twice daily, methotrexate, 2.5mgx( 8 once weekly). Type 2 diabetic for 29 years. Also take cyclobenzaprene and tramadol for pain from spines well as Flector pain patches as needed
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,447
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Update- after being away for a while

Hi Dennis, glad to see you posting again, bummer about all your troubles with your back.  When I broke my pelvis back in March I had a sciatic nerve pain so bad that I could not walk or sit without pain meds.

I am also glad you didn't get the tainted injections, I heard on TV that they are telling people to give it another month or so before they are clear of chance of the virus.

I hope to see you back once in awhile, I have been super busy and my arthritis has kept me from posting but I do read when I have a chance.

Sending healing thoughts your way....................................Big Red.....................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Hi Dennis,

Well you do post a lot of great photos on FB, but you describe what is happening more completely, if less frequently, here.  You are  right it could be worse, but I  share your hope that it will get better.

The epidural for the scar tissue, and the exercise--how recent are those? Do you think they could still help lower your pain level?  I'd love to read, wherever you post it, of some improvement, and maybe even a few holes on the course some day--or is that pure fantasy at this point?

But congrats on keeping your good outlook...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
mrgee59

Grannyred,

I never really appreciated how much my father suffered with his arthritis until I developed it myself. I tell my doctors that the only good genes I got from my family were Levis. They laugh and tell me that I should maintain my sense of humor. Many mornings it prevents me from holding a pen to do the crossword in my morning paper and I use all sorts of utensils now to open jars, etc. All this seems to make keeping my diabetes in check easy. I'm beginning to look at the diabetes as a way of preparing my psyche for this arthritic battle.

Sorry to hear about your pelvis but know that I can sympathize with the pain and suffering you went through. On days when it's nearly impossible to sit or stand for long periods of time I've been trying meditation but know that isn't for everyone. Have a great holiday and I'll see you back here.

Dennis

May, 2013 HbA1c= 6.2: Metformin 1000mg 2X Daily, Glimeperide 4mg, once daily, 9mg prednisone daily, numerous vitamins,Lyrica 75mg twice daily, methotrexate, 2.5mgx( 8 once weekly). Type 2 diabetic for 29 years. Also take cyclobenzaprene and tramadol for pain from spines well as Flector pain patches as needed
Super Advisor
mrgee59

Morris, the idea is that the steroids on the nerve will lessen the pain and improve movement. Thanks for the comments about my photos.

I was practicing some chipping and pitching that my therapist said I could do but if I don't ever play a full round of golf again I'll be OK with it. I've had a hole-in-one and I really can't ask for more than that in golf.  See you on FB.

Dennis

Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,539
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Good to see you back, and great A1c!

As for golf, I think if I'd hit a hole-in-one, I'd probably throw my clubs away at the end of the round!  Always go out on top!!
  I gave up playing a few years back for a variety of reasons, but mostly because my shoulder bothers me too much.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Super Advisor
mrgee59

Realtxjack,

I'm sure that golf didn't help my spine any but I'll never forget watching that ball drop onto that green 115 yards away, take one bounce and drop in the hole. I do recall how sore I was after each round. My back and hips were getting worse after each round. The rotator cuff in my rt. shoulder tore on opening day one season and had to be opened up to be repaired and was the worst rehab I ever had. Very painful. I hope and pray you never run into that. I lost a full year of golf back then.

Best,

Dennis

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,903
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,968
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

mrgee59 wrote:

Grannyred,

I never really appreciated how much my father suffered with his arthritis until I developed it myself. I tell my doctors that the only good genes I got from my family were Levis. They laugh and tell me that I should maintain my sense of humor. Many mornings it prevents me from holding a pen to do the crossword in my morning paper and I use all sorts of utensils now to open jars, etc. All this seems to make keeping my diabetes in check easy. I'm beginning to look at the diabetes as a way of preparing my psyche for this arthritic battle.

Sorry to hear about your pelvis but know that I can sympathize with the pain and suffering you went through. On days when it's nearly impossible to sit or stand for long periods of time I've been trying meditation but know that isn't for everyone. Have a great holiday and I'll see you back here.

Dennis

I know exactly what you mean Dennis! :smileyfrustrated:  Arthritis affects my life much more than diabetes ever did.  I have to work to constantly keep my mind occupied away from the pain.  Sometimes it's a WHOLE LOT of work!

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more