Established Contributor
fyre522
Total Posts: 1,438
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

U-500 insulin question...

What is the difference between U-100 and U-500 insulin OTHER than the quantity? I think there's some chemical compound differences, but not sure. Also, is U-500 available in the US? I know that they don't make a rapid U-500 like lispro or aspart, but I do think they make something along the lines of NPH or a 50/50 mix. Any ideas?

~Rae~ (Type 1.5, aka LADA)

Treat every stressful situation like a dog... if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away...

Advair, Albuterol-Isopro mix, Bystolic, Colchicine, Combivent, Fentanyl,   Fish Oil, Furosemide,  Humulin R U-500, Hydroxazine, Iron, Klor-Con, Lipitor, L-Lysine, Magnesium,  Metolazone, Oxycodone, Spironolactone, Topamax, Trilipix, Uloric, Vitamin D 50,000,  Zoloft. 

(Hey, if you took all these meds, you'd need happy pills too!)

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,853
Solutions: 137

fyre522 (1/17/2010)
What is the difference between U-100 and U-500 insulin OTHER than the quantity? I think there's some chemical compound differences, but not sure. Also, is U-500 available in the US? I know that they don't make a rapid U-500 like lispro or aspart, but I do think they make something along the lines of NPH or a 50/50 mix. Any ideas?

There's no chemical difference and it's just stronger.

Yes, they make it in the U.S., but you usually have to special order it.

I'm only aware of it coming in regular, I seriously doubt that it would be in a mixture, but you could search the net to see.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Contributor
fyre522

I've looked around on the 'net and really didn't find out anything much about it. That's why I figured after about an hour of going to various websites, I'd just ask on here.

So it's stronger than U-100? I thought maybe the 100 vs. 500 was regarding quantity in each bottle, not strength... would someone need special-ordered needles to take a U-500 insulin since the needles I normally get say "for use with U-100 insulin only"?

Treat every stressful situation like a dog... if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away...

Advair, Albuterol-Isopro mix, Bystolic, Colchicine, Combivent, Fentanyl,   Fish Oil, Furosemide,  Humulin R U-500, Hydroxazine, Iron, Klor-Con, Lipitor, L-Lysine, Magnesium,  Metolazone, Oxycodone, Spironolactone, Topamax, Trilipix, Uloric, Vitamin D 50,000,  Zoloft. 

Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815

Rae,
U-500 insulin is 5 times stronger than U-100 insulin
there is also a U-400 insulin made by Novo Nordisk
the U-500 insulin is made by Eli Lilly
here is the web site I looked it up on
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/5/1240.full

If I continue to need so much insulin every day I may ask the doctor about switching me to the Humulin R U-500 insulin so I don't have to do so many shots a day.

It only comes in the Humulin R U-500 or the U-400 by the other company.

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,853
Solutions: 137

would someone need special-ordered needles to take a U-500 insulin since the needles I normally get say "for use with U-100 insulin only"?

Yes, you should have a special needle for it. I think I read where you can buy them somewhere but can't remember where. Ask the doctor.

An important caveat that must be taken into consideration is the syringe for administration of U-500. Unlike U-100 insulin, the dose of U-500 does not equal the units of insulin using a typical insulin syringe. For example, if a patient requires 150 units insulin three times a day, and the prescriber wishes to use U-500, the correct way to write the prescription is as follows: �Regular Insulin U-500, 150 units, inject 0.3 ml subcutaneously, three times daily before meals.� Using this example, confusion will arise, because a patient will be told to �draw up 30 units of insulin,� and patients inevitably believe that their dose of insulin is 30 units, rather than 0.3 ml U-500 or 150 units. To help avoid this confusion, a tuberculin syringe can be used, which has volume markings instead of unit markings. This, however, may only be practical in the hospital-based setting. Tuberculin syringes are not as readily available for the patient to purchase at his/her local pharmacy. Insurance reimbursement of an insulin syringe versus a tuberculin syringe is more established, as insulin syringes are seen as part of diabetic supplies. It is critical, therefore, when using a U-100 syringe to explain the amount to be taken in both dose and volume terms.

This is a pretty good link that describes the U-500 click here

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Contributor
fyre522

So then, theoretically speaking, I would need 5 times LESS insulin if I were to go on U500 than I would on U100 insulin in the "regular" variety? COOL!!!!

Ya figure, right now I take about 154u/Lantus per day (was taking 200u...) and I take over 300u/day of Humalog while maintaining my daily carb intake between 50g-80g/day. I know that the intermediate-acting insulins are a different timing issue than the rapid 'logs, but I'm at the point where taking this much insulin is rediculous not to mention that it's not exactly wallet-friendly either. (Thank god for insurance... but then if that ever stops again I'm sooooo screwed!)

Thanks for the link, Jules... I'm going to check it out in a few...

Established Contributor
fyre522

Thanks, Lizzy... I'll check out that link, too!

I'm wondering if asking about U-500 is a smart option or not because while it would decrease the amount of insulin I would need to take on a daily basis, and decrease the number of injections I have to do, I am slightly worried that if something were to ever happen to me where I couldn't communicate for whatever reason, some non-detailed oriented Doc or Nurse in a hospital would assume that I take U-100 and if my glucose level is an issue, they'd hit me up with dosages equivilant to a U-100 instead of a U-500 scale range. Or an EMT that wouldn't know what the difference IS between the two types.

Established Advisor
juliam1969

fyre522 (1/17/2010)
So then, theoretically speaking, I would need 5 times LESS insulin if I were to go on U500 than I would on U100 insulin in the "regular" variety? COOL!!!!

Ya figure, right now I take about 154u/Lantus per day (was taking 200u...) and I take over 300u/day of Humalog while maintaining my daily carb intake between 50g-80g/day. I know that the intermediate-acting insulins are a different timing issue than the rapid 'logs, but I'm at the point where taking this much insulin is rediculous not to mention that it's not exactly wallet-friendly either. (Thank god for insurance... but then if that ever stops again I'm sooooo screwed!)

Thanks for the link, Jules... I'm going to check it out in a few...

You got it Rae, you would need 5 times less insulin with the u-500 1u=5u
I have considered asking the doctor about this since I use so much insulin, its hard to imagine how I would get my insulin if I didn't get medicade. They do say the charge for the u-500 is higher than the u-100 but that it still is less than the combo of lantus and novalog. I use 120 units a day of the lantus and I use about 150 to 200 units a day of the Novolog. I have the Hair-An syndrome that causes insulin resistance. I only eat 60 to 80 carbs a day, I can't imagine if I still ate regular amounts of carbs how much insulin I would need. Im really sick and tired of giving myself 9 shots a day. Its getting old really fast. Not to mention all the finger pokes I do a day. There has to be an easier way.

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
Established Contributor
fyre522

HOLY CRAP, JULIA!!!!

OMG - I went and looked up HAIR-AN syndrome (because I never heard of it before) and I have a good number of those symptoms! According to the 2 sites I looked it up on, I meet enough of the criteria to warrant me calling my Doc on Tuesday (since they're probably closed tomorrow) and asking him to run some labs to see...

That would explain a LOT of things in my life, LOL! So um... thanks(?) for bringing that to my attention, even if it was unintentional Your I:C ratio doesn't look too far off from mine (sucks, doesn't it?)

As far as not having to give yourself the MDI's or at least to lessen them, the only things I can think of other than a switch from U-100 to U-500/400-ish would be to check into getting a pump.

Argh... Lexi's starting a fight with Joe... I'll write more later. But thanks...

Established Advisor
juliam1969

fyre522 (1/17/2010)
HOLY CRAP, JULIA!!!!

OMG - I went and looked up HAIR-AN syndrome (because I never heard of it before) and I have a good number of those symptoms! According to the 2 sites I looked it up on, I meet enough of the criteria to warrant me calling my Doc on Tuesday (since they're probably closed tomorrow) and asking him to run some labs to see...

That would explain a LOT of things in my life, LOL! So um... thanks(?) for bringing that to my attention, even if it was unintentional Your I:C ratio doesn't look too far off from mine (sucks, doesn't it?)

As far as not having to give yourself the MDI's or at least to lessen them, the only things I can think of other than a switch from U-100 to U-500/400-ish would be to check into getting a pump.
Argh... Lexi's starting a fight with Joe... I'll write more later. But thanks...

Rae, good luck in telling your doctor about this hair-an syndrome, most doctors know nothing about it and even less how to treat it. I've yet to find a really good doctor to help me. I've seen about 10 doctors about it, its best to talk to an endo about it, they usually have more knowledge about it. The only thing my doctor understands about it is that it causes severe insulin resistance. I was told after I had my hysterectomy that I would no longer have problems with it, what a joke that was. It goes along with PCOS which Ive had since I was 9. I no longer have ovaries but I still have the androgen problems. Its a mess and until doctors study more on this nothing is done about it. Oh your doctor will tell you that taking birth control pills will help... it never helped me. I have the thinning hair, the acanthosis nigricans, nothing they do has ever helped either of those problems.

Julia
Julia