Advisor
ballow95
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎12-29-2011
Helpful Response

Two questions: BG #'s and metformin

Hi.

I have a couple of questions.  Just looking for some experience / opinions.

1.  Metformin - I started Lipitor a week ago, no issues or side effects.  I started Metformin (1@500mg) the day after I started Lipitor (both have same side effects).  I have had no side effects from either drug.  I was told once I feel comfortable to increase the metformin.  I would like to increase the metformin to the full dose (2@500mg) beginning Friday (I return home from travelling).  Any concerns that may be too soon to increase?

2. BG Numbers - I was diagnosed beginning of November and went throught the D Mgmt Courses in mid/late December.  In the pas few days I'm starting to see lower numbers somewhat consistently (well except for measuring the pasta wrong).  This morning FG was under 100 for the first time - that would usually be anywhere from 130 to 165.  So for me that's a great number.  Pre dinner again was 100 and 2 hour post was 136 (still some work) but way better than 200+. 

My question on this one - how long with diet and exercise would numbers actually come down is a month reasonable?

Thanks,

Barb

Type 2 (11/4/2011)
A1c = 6.4 (05/07/14
A1c = 6.3 (02/05/14) - Added Actos
A1c = 6.3 (11/04/13)
A1c = 6.4 (08/02/13)
A1c = 6.4 (05/01/13)
A1c = 6.3 (01/10/13)
A1c = 6.1 (11/03/12)
A1c = 6.2 (07/03/12)
A1c = 6.2 (04/02/12)
A1c = 6.3 (01/04/12)
4 meds for blood pressure
Lipitor (cholesterol)
Meformin (1000mg)
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,374
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,368
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Two questions: BG #'s and metformin

[ Edited ]

ballow95 wrote:

Hi.

1.  Metformin - I started Lipitor a week ago, no issues or side effects.  I started Metformin (1@500mg) the day after I started Lipitor (both have same side effects).  I have had no side effects from either drug.  I was told once I feel comfortable to increase the metformin.  I would like to increase the metformin to the full dose (2@500mg) beginning Friday (I return home from travelling).  Any concerns that may be too soon to increase?

I'm just a diabetic, not a doctor. Doctors adjust prescriptions so check with the doc before you do anything based on the replies here.

My personal experience in the same situation with metformin was to increase it by 500mg each week until I reached the effective dose, monitoring for side effects over that time. There were none for me. That is not a recommendation; just my experience.

I'm not in agreement that both have the same side effects; did that come from your doctor? There may be some common side efects for those two meds, but I believe the more serious (thankfully rare) side effects are quite different: lactic acidosis for metformin and rhabdomyolysis for lipitor. The most common side effect for metformin is gastro problems, but I was not aware of that as a side effect for the statin. I had muscle and cramp problems when I used to take lipitor 20mg a few years ago, but they mostly ceased when I dropped the statin.

2. BG Numbers - I was diagnosed beginning of November and went throught the D Mgmt Courses in mid/late December.  In the pas few days I'm starting to see lower numbers somewhat consistently (well except for measuring the pasta wrong).  This morning FG was under 100 for the first time - that would usually be anywhere from 130 to 165.  So for me that's a great number.  Pre dinner again was 100 and 2 hour post was 136 (still some work) but way better than 200+. 

My question on this one - how long with diet and exercise would numbers actually come down is a month reasonable?

Thanks,

Barb

I'm afraid that is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. It looks like you are improving, but there is still some way to go.

It may help speed up the process if you use your meter to systematically test, and use that feedback to adjust your menu. You appear to be missing your peak spikes at two hours. Consider testing enough to find when you are peaking, which is likely to be closer to one hour than two, and use that timing to apply this technique: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Volubilis, an Ancient Roman Site in Morocco)
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,388
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

ballow95 wrote:

Hi.

Thanks,

Barb

I agree with Alan, you should talk with your doctor first. Your doctor should be the one who decides to increase the Metformin.

How have your blood sugars been running while on the 1 at 500mg of the Metformin?

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
debit202
Total Posts: 1,607
Registered on: ‎01-10-2010

My Dr. had me increase my met to the prescribed amount after 1 week of no side effects.  So after a week of no side effects you probably would be safe to increase what you are taking(1@500 TO THE PRESCRIBED AMOUNT(2@500)/  I would put a call in to the Dr. just to make sure though-

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

dx 12/2009 a1c7.4  3/2011  aic 6.6 long way to goto 5% club next a1c oct. 2011

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,838
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,930
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I was told once I feel comfortable to increase the metformin. 

So you seem to be comfortable with the present amount so increase it.   It's cerainly not necessary to call the doctor for every little thing, and especially since you were already told what to do.

Many people starf several different medications at once, so I wouldn't worry about that, just keep your eye out for any unusual symptoms or changes,

There's no way to answer how long changes take for an individual because everyone is different.  You seem to be doing very well though.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
tclardy
Total Posts: 79
Registered on: ‎11-15-2011

This brings up a question for me, why do people normally incrase the dose and how do you determine if it needs to be increased?   I am a big guy and on only 2x500mg a day.  Everything I read states that the manufacture says clinical results are seen at doses of 1500mg a day and above.  I am eating good and exercising and getting good control.  What is the benefit of increased dosage? Confused here. 

Update on 4/19/12-A1C 4.7, 208 pounds, dropped Lisinopril
Diagnosed Type 2 on 10/13/11. A!C-8.3, BG 231, Cholesterol 193, HDL 32, LDL 113, Triglycerides 251, 280 lbs.
Three month checkup on 1/24/12- A1C 5.0, Cholesterol 110, HDL 35, LDL 54, Triglycerides 109, 237 lbs
I am 50 and 6"3".

On Metformin 500mg twice daily. Lisinopril and Simvastatin.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,838
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,930
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

tclardy wrote:

This brings up a question for me, why do people normally incrase the dose and how do you determine if it needs to be increased?   I am a big guy and on only 2x500mg a day.  Everything I read states that the manufacture says clinical results are seen at doses of 1500mg a day and above.  I am eating good and exercising and getting good control.  What is the benefit of increased dosage? Confused here. 

The doses are usually increased based on your numbers, especially the fasting number.  For some max. benefit is achieved at doses 1500 or more, but many do fine with less.  It depends on the person.

How long have you been on that dose and how are your numbers?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
tclardy
Total Posts: 79
Registered on: ‎11-15-2011

I have been on that dose for three months and my morning wake up reading is normally between 95-105.   I average about 60 grams of carbs a day mostly lunch and evening. 

Update on 4/19/12-A1C 4.7, 208 pounds, dropped Lisinopril
Diagnosed Type 2 on 10/13/11. A!C-8.3, BG 231, Cholesterol 193, HDL 32, LDL 113, Triglycerides 251, 280 lbs.
Three month checkup on 1/24/12- A1C 5.0, Cholesterol 110, HDL 35, LDL 54, Triglycerides 109, 237 lbs
I am 50 and 6"3".

On Metformin 500mg twice daily. Lisinopril and Simvastatin.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,374
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,368
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

tclardy wrote:

I have been on that dose for three months and my morning wake up reading is normally between 95-105.   I average about 60 grams of carbs a day mostly lunch and evening. 

If your A1c and post-meal numbers are also good I would be discussing whether the metformin is needed with your doctor.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Volubilis, an Ancient Roman Site in Morocco)
Advisor
ballow95
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎12-29-2011

Everyone,

Good evening and Hi! 

Thanks so much for the advice.  I'm going to go ahead and increase my Metformin to the full dose prescribed by the Doc (from 1@500 to 2@500) this Friday and we'll see if I start experiencing any side effects.  mmm - maybe  I'll wait until Saturday - isn't this Friday the 13th?

Doc stated that both Lipitor and Metformin may cause gastro problems.  I typically don't have issues with medication - so we'll see.

My fasting numbers have been coming down slowly but surely.  Think giant ship with a teeny, tiny hole. 

However, they are more noticible each day since I started on the Lipitor (7 days) and Metformin (6 days).  At the same time, I also started a protein snack and very low carb at bed based on docs recommendation.  Numbers are decreasing.  I want it to drop at least to low 80's consistently. 

Type 2 (11/4/2011)
A1c = 6.4 (05/07/14
A1c = 6.3 (02/05/14) - Added Actos
A1c = 6.3 (11/04/13)
A1c = 6.4 (08/02/13)
A1c = 6.4 (05/01/13)
A1c = 6.3 (01/10/13)
A1c = 6.1 (11/03/12)
A1c = 6.2 (07/03/12)
A1c = 6.2 (04/02/12)
A1c = 6.3 (01/04/12)
4 meds for blood pressure