Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,462
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: To the people with good control with diet and exercise...I have a few questions

[ Edited ]

veganist wrote:

Not everyone is able to get down to their ideal weight. It's merely a target goal. Not the end of the world. However, as we know, weight and blood sugar management are critical factors for controlloing and even reversing diabetes. Many diabetics (T2) are capable of reducing or even eliminating their meds while keeping their blood sugar within normal limits at all times of the day. Anyone who argues that type 2 diabetes cannot be  stopped entirely, are not paying attention to many of the most recent studies published showing just that. It's happening and many diabetics are doing it. Do you think it's worth a try? I do.

Once you have diabetes, you have it for life.  My blood sugar was 92 this morning, but only because I worked at it yesterday.  It is not reversed or stopped (permanently).  It is controlled (currently).  (And I'd like to edit to add something else -- also in parentheses --  reversing the blood sugar levels is not the same as reversing the diabetes.  The diabetes is still there, and will have to be dealt with again tomorrow and continually.  Because the blood sugar levels will keep going up unless we keep getting them down.  So, we can deal with it -- at least temporarily -- but we can't get rid of it.  It will always be there.  Until a permanent cure is found.  The best we can do is to keep a lid on it.  This requires an ongoing action plan.)

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Food addictions

alan_s wrote:

morrisolder wrote:

But I never have heard of anyone addicted to meat. 

Inuits?

Hannibal Lecter? :smileyhappy:

I do love pork crackling...

Inuits aren't necessarily addicted to meat, they just have very little other food sources.

Hannibal also preferred his meat with fava beans and a good Chianti. 

Just sayin.................

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,803
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: To the people with good control with diet and exercise...I have a few questions

[ Edited ]

veganist wrote:

Not everyone is able to get down to their ideal weight. It's merely a target goal. Not the end of the world. However, as we know, weight and blood sugar management are critical factors for controlloing and even reversing diabetes. Many diabetics (T2) are capable of reducing or even eliminating their meds while keeping their blood sugar within normal limits at all times of the day. Anyone who argues that type 2 diabetes cannot be  stopped entirely, are not paying attention to many of the most recent studies published showing just that. It's happening and many diabetics are doing it. Do you think it's worth a try? I do.

There are plenty of people who have developed type 2 diabetes where weight was not a factor. You are right about one thing, many type 2's have been able to reduce or eliminate their meds. They are still type 2 diabetics, and always will be, they are just in very tight control of their blood sugar.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Responder
2cyndi11
Total Posts: 36
Registered on: ‎04-07-2011

[ Edited ]

To Veganist     Really!!!....You still have not  answered the " Are you a diabetic and if so what type?", question several others have asked.

This is just one example of how difficult it is to become VEGAN, and any one newly diagnosed with diabetes and working on lowering  numbers by changing  diet and exercise is living with enough changes.  When you try to push and confuse newbies with your Vegan talk, as if it's a CURE, it is just irresponsible.

Vegan is not an  easy diet... and suggesting that some one start this while trying to adjust meds and everything that comes along with diabetes tells me you

are not a diabetic.

My son (not a diabetic) was a vegan for over 7 years. He did not jump into it without learning about all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals he would have to replace in this extreme diet change. As well as he tried, and was very committed, he still had problems, at one time was diagnosed malnutrition. His body was week and every winter he was sick with one cold after another. Otherwise a young 26 year old cyclist who rides several times a year up and down the Oregon and Calif. coast and everyday (doesn't have a car).

He slowly went back to eating meat & dairy (free range) and all fruit and vegetables (organic), a whole foods diet.  Now with no problems during the winter with colds and looks and feels strong in body, mind and spirit.

Cyndi
T2 since Feb., 2011
500mg Metformin 2x daily, A1c 6.4
Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

I'm diabetic and have to work very hard to control my #'s and I'm still not at my goal A1c.(I'm at 6.1 A1c) I have a healthy diet and workout...does it really look like I'm overweight or addicted to food, veganist? I'm still the same weight as I was when diagnosed last year at the age of 32. I also had a healthy diet and worked out before my dx. I did have a much higher carb diet since I didnt know I was diabetic..but I have since corrected that part. My pancreas is broken and I've accepted that, I'm tired of people like you making people feel that its all their fault if they are T2.

dotd.jpg

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Oh Kitty!  Please let me explain on your behalf that that is your halloween costume (and a smashing halloween costume it was!)

Just don't want veganist to think that you can have a gorgeous bod and a great A1c but still have sleepless nights (there are some mornings where I can compete with those circles around your eyes)

Good post Kitty, I hope that veganist is not diabetic nor will he ever develop the disease. If he does then that would be the time that he can come to us for understanding and help in doing his best to get his blood glucose in order first and then and only then try to follow his commitment to PETA.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Advisor
veganist
Total Posts: 73
Registered on: ‎12-07-2011

Controlling blood sugar by as healthy a way as possible and eliminating or reducing meds is CURE. This doesn't mean being able to go back to the good old days. It's about moving forward. Some will say that it just doesn't work for me. It may very well work for you. The message is plain. There's always hope.  

Advisor
ellieaire
Total Posts: 295
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

veganist wrote:

Controlling blood sugar by as healthy a way as possible and eliminating or reducing meds is CURE. This doesn't mean being able to go back to the good old days. It's about moving forward. Some will say that it just doesn't work for me. It may very well work for you. The message is plain. There's always hope.  

IMHO, a cure is returning to normal life with no restrictions in diet or meds.  A vegan  nor a meat diet will deliver that for a diabetic. JMHO.

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,803
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

ellieaire wrote:

veganist wrote:

IMHO, a cure is returning to normal life with no restrictions in diet or meds.  A vegan  nor a meat diet will deliver that for a diabetic. JMHO.

No it won't. Why are the two of you so persistent in pushing a vegan diet as a "CURE" for diabetes. We all know that just is not true.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Advisor
ellieaire
Total Posts: 295
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

jpg391 wrote:

ellieaire wrote:

veganist wrote:

No it won't. Why are the two of you so persistent in pushing a vegan diet as a "CURE" for diabetes. We all know that just is not true.

WTH?  You are certainly confused or have reading comprehesion problems.  A cure is returning to a normal life with no restrictions in diet.  There is no cure for diabetes regardless if you are a vegan or a meat eater.  Am I clear enough?  I control through diet and exercise - that means I eat chicken, beef and pork, and I walk 4 miles a day.  I take no meds and I'm still not cured, just tight control.