Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

The DASH diet ranks best overall in U.S. News Best Diets 2012

“The DASH diet took the No. 1 spot in best overall diet in the U.S. News and World Report's Best Diets 2012, which also rates other popular diets in various categories.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/04/news/la-heb-diet-rankings-us-news-20120104

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: The DASH diet ranks best overall in U.S. News Best Diets 2012

Who ranks these things and how do they weight the various factors?

I'll guarantee they don't test all of them against the resevations expressed here: Dieting Does Not Work!

One wonders how many people on the best diet of 2012 will still be eating in that way in 2013.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
ellieaire
Total Posts: 295
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

[ Edited ]

alan_s wrote:

Who ranks these things and how do they weight the various factors?

I'll guarantee they don't test all of them against the resevations expressed here: Dieting Does Not Work!

One wonders how many people on the best diet of 2012 will still be eating in that way in 2013.

Every year there's always "the best diet" list for that year.  Makes one wonder why one diet fell off the list?  Well this link will open up a can of worms for those who think the vegan diet is the best.  IMHO, one diet over the next is only the best for the one who thinks it's the best.  Saying one is the best over another is just plain dumb.

http://www.blogher.com/and-winner-isannual-best-diet-rankings-2012

I'll stick to my lo carb diet and get the results that I am looking for - no meds and controlling diabetes.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,633
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

[ Edited ]

These kinds of 10-best lists of anything, usually found in late December or early January, are always a mish-mash based on who-know-what, usually the author's preferences.

The ADA caught my eye on Facebook with this Miami Examiner list of the 10 top non-fiction books of 2011.  Along with Tina Fey, tTm Tebow and a bio of Catherine the Great, the Examner listed an ADA cookbook--Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table by Linda Gassenheimer.

Noted the ADA: "We’re in good company! Our cookbook, “Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table,” was named one of 2011’s top ten nonfiction books by the Miami Examiner – right up there with Tina Fey’s “Bossy Pants.”"

That said, I know nothing about this book, and therefore cannot recommend it, but given the trash talk that people here often apply to diabetic cook books, it's nice to see that somebody liked one of them...

Proably about as good as the DASH diet...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Advisor
ellieaire

morrisolder wrote:

These kinds of 10-best lists of anything, usually found in late December or early January, are always a mish-mash based on who-know-what, usually the author's preferences.

The ADA caught my eye on Facebook with this Miami Examiner list of the 10 top non-fiction books of 2011.  Along with Tina Fey, tTm Tebow and a bio of Catherine the Great, the Examner listed an ADA cookbook--Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table by Linda Gassenheimer.

Noted the ADA: "We’re in good company! Our cookbook, “Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table,” was named one of 2011’s top ten nonfiction books by the Miami Examiner – right up there with Tina Fey’s “Bossy Pants.”"

That said, I know nothing about this book, and therefore cannot recommend it, but given the trash talk that people here often apply to diabetic cook books, it's nice to see that somebody liked one of them...

Proably about as good as the DASH diet...

I went to the link above that you provided Morris and read  1 of 2 book reviews.  Here's oneof them:

"This new book sounded very interesting to me. However, I have Type 1 Diabetes, and I'm careful about portions. When I looked at some of the recipes I was very disappointed that the serving size is not included. If I were to prepare chili (for example), and I only knew that it serves 8, I wouldn't want to portion it all out into 8 bowls just to find out how much I can eat. Since the nutrition information is included, wouldn't it be easy to also include the serving size? Even the labels at the supermarket do that!

Am I the only person who likes to know the serving size"

I have several "diabetic" so called cookbooks that contain recipes that as a controlled diabetic, I would never make or even eat it.  On the old board there were several ADA recipes that I didn't think were low carb enough for me to eat.  I still don't know what the ADA's stance is on carbs, but on the old board they were pushing a high carb diet.  I eventually quit looking at the ADA's recipes and I'm pretty closed minded when they push a recipe book or a diabetic friendly diet.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I just looked at the USNews one.  One comical aspect was that for most of them the "no, it didn't work" numbers were much higher than the "yes, it did work" numbers. :smileyvery-happy:

Also on the TLC diet it states:  it requires a “do-it-yourself” approach, in contrast to the hand-holding provided by some commercial diets.  And I suppose that's a very major point in what people are looking for who buy books and such on diets.  It's so much harder to think for yourself and come up with your own plan than to have one handed to you.  

So if one of these commercial diets fail you can blame the diet, if your own plan fails eek!  Guess who gets the blame.:smileyfrustrated:

I'll stick with the Lizzy diet, works for me.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,633
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I read that reveiw too, Ellieaire, and even though I cannot recommend a book that I have not read, I think the reviewer was a bit of a grouch.  The book apparently meets a main  criteria for s good recipe book by including the nutritional content, so that you can figure out if you want to bother with it.   I might feel differently if I had to guess at portion size to dose insulin, but I don't so it seems a bit picky to me...

My point more than anything was that these kinds of lists are strange and silly--the inclusion of an ADA cookbook  as one of the bet 10 non-fiction books of 2011 kind of makes that case...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Established Advisor
lynnkb
Total Posts: 360
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

You know, there are lots of us here who test what we eat with great vigilance. What if there were a website where we could enter foods, recipes, and add in our personal readings? Perhaps we'd discover some kind of pattern in foods that nearly all of us tolerate, making them really great choices. Seems a shame we test foods in a vacuum and don't share our readings more consistently.

I'm, among other things, a web developer, so if there's much interest, I could certainly create a food-BG reading collecting website... Interested?

Diagnosed 9/2011, Ha1C 9.6
1/13/2012 - 6.2
9/20/2012 - 5.7
12/26/2012 - 5.1
8/21/2013 - 5.7
9/15/2013 - 5.8
11/18/2013 - 5.6
1/10/2014 - 5.4 (Home test)
2/24/2014 - 5.6

Suspected MODY.
Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

lynnkb wrote:

You know, there are lots of us here who test what we eat with great vigilance. What if there were a website where we could enter foods, recipes, and add in our personal readings? Perhaps we'd discover some kind of pattern in foods that nearly all of us tolerate, making them really great choices. Seems a shame we test foods in a vacuum and don't share our readings more consistently.

I'm, among other things, a web developer, so if there's much interest, I could certainly create a food-BG reading collecting website... Interested?

Take a look at sugarstats.com it's similar to what you are talking about, maybe you can use it as a model and tweak it to do what you have in mind.
Advisor
ellieaire

morrisolder wrote:

I read that reveiw too, Ellieaire, and even though I cannot recommend a book that I have not read, I think the reviewer was a bit of a grouch.  The book apparently meets a main  criteria for s good recipe book by including the nutritional content, so that you can figure out if you want to bother with it.   I might feel differently if I had to guess at portion size to dose insulin, but I don't so it seems a bit picky to me...

My point more than anything was that these kinds of lists are strange and silly--the inclusion of an ADA cookbook  as one of the bet 10 non-fiction books of 2011 kind of makes that case...

The one thing I like about recipe books, is if the recipe given also gives the nutritional info as well.  I like to just look at the nutritional facts and decide if it's for me or not.  That's what I like about Dana Carpendars recipe books, they contain the carb count.  I can see where it would be important for a Type 1 who is tightly controlled to want those nutritional facts as well.  BTW, I also like Dr. Atkins recipe books, they contain the nutritional facts as well.