Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Test Strips available at Wal-Mart for $9 per box of 50.

First of all I do not work for Wal-Mart, but thought if people haven't seen this already. I saw this on another diabetes website that I also post on and

thought I would bring the information over here. Evidently Wal-Mart is selling their Relion Prime meter for $16.24 but here is the biggie. You can get 50 strips per box for $9. Yes that is right. 50 strips for $9.

I know how hard it can be for some people to afford to test and thought I would pass this information on. Lizzy if you want you can link it up in the stickies. From what I have read, and if the information is correct, this is not a sale but should be permanent, but time will tell.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,383
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Test Strips available at Wal-Mart for $9 per box of 50.

[ Edited ]

deafmack wrote:

First of all I do not work for Wal-Mart, but thought if people haven't seen this already. I saw this on another diabetes website that I also post on and

thought I would bring the information over here. Evidently Wal-Mart is selling their Relion Prime meter for $16.24 but here is the biggie. You can get 50 strips per box for $9. Yes that is right. 50 strips for $9.

I know how hard it can be for some people to afford to test and thought I would pass this information on. Lizzy if you want you can link it up in the stickies. From what I have read, and if the information is correct, this is not a sale but should be permanent, but time will tell.

I just looked at Walmart's website. It is the 20 count box of Reli-on Ultima test strips that sells for $9. The Reli-on Ultima Meter sells for $15. 

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

Actually it is the Relion  Prime Meter that is selling for $16.24 and the strips a box of 50 for that meter sell for $9. Here is the link. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/walmart-launches-effort-to-save-diabetes-patients-up-to-60-m...

You can also go to http://www.diabetesdaily.com and click on the link on the home page. Like you I did have trouble finding the prime meter online.

but here is the actual link on the Wal-Mart website. http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Blue/20752266

The meter comes in the colors of red or blue. I was not wrong. I know it is a good deal.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
jpg391

[ Edited ]

deafmack wrote:

Actually it is the Relion  Prime Meter that is selling for $16.24 and the strips a box of 50 for that meter sell for $9. Here is the link. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/walmart-launches-effort-to-save-diabetes-patients-up-to-60-m...

You can also go to http://www.diabetesdaily.com and click on the link on the home page. Like you I did have trouble finding the prime meter online.

but here is the actual link on the Wal-Mart website. http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Blue/20752266

The meter comes in the colors of red or blue. I was not wrong. I know it is a good deal.

Thanks for the links. I just checked their website and noticed they have updated it since earlier this morning. I read the reviews (mostly Walmart employees)  and they are all good.

James G

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
81mg Asprin once a day
Established Advisor
efpat
Total Posts: 342
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

This is good news for people without insurance.   It hasn't reached the stores yet.  I checked in Northern NJ this morning.

Evan
Diagnosed November 2007. A1C - 11.4, A1C since 5.2-6.0. Metformin 1000 2x a day.
Best comment I ever heard from someone with diabetes. - "I take my meds and I cheat every now and then." This was from a 95 year old woman living with type 2 for over 50 years!
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,576
Topics: 74
High Fives: 867
Solutions: 104

It's a pretty new deal.  This financial press release is dated July 24.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-launches-effort-save-diabetes-163000548.html

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
jpg391

[ Edited ]

This is a copy of the ad for the Relion Prime diabetes meter and strips on Walmart's website.

James G

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
81mg Asprin once a day
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,828
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,926
Solutions: 139

Thanks folks,

I think that this is such important news that I just did a blog post about it:

Credit Where Due | Lizzy's Diabetes Lounge

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Advisor
legion681
Total Posts: 600
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

deafmack wrote:

Thanks for the info, it's MUCH appreciated (I am using the ReliOn Confirm, will most likely switch to this one)!

Name: Al
Diabetes Type: 2
A1C results: 17 (at dx), 8.3 (2 months after dx), 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.2 (<-- latest 10.10.2012)

*** Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champions ***
Responder
weimardog
Total Posts: 38
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I wonder if these strips will work with the Relion Ultima??   I read the reviews, of the prime test strips, and one of the complaints was that the strips were kinda small, so I guess that means they won't work.  I know there are a lot of folks down on Walmart, but they have sure helped me with low price meds and these strips will help out.  My insurance deductible is so high, everything is on me.