Occasional Visitor
Jolene65
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎09-29-2011

Swelling of legs, ankles, feet

I have Type #2 and have been knowingly living with it for over 12 years.  What can you do for swelling that happens at times in lower legs, or ankles or feet? Do you get Compression hose? i am not sure how to deal with this .....can you please help? Thank you.

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Swelling of legs, ankles, feet

Hi Jolene,

Have you had your doctor look into this?  That problem is something that can be caused by a couple of things, like heart issues, so best to rule that out.  I used to have swelling like that when first diagnosed but it cleared up as I maintained a good BG number.  They do sell OTC compression hose but the best kind is the ones you get on order from your doc.  You have to get measured and they are custom fit to you.  I started wearing "diabetic socks" which are pretty much just socks without seams and no elastic that digs in and hinders circulation.

Tom 

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Occasional Visitor
Jolene65

Thanks for your reply. Carbs are poison to me and I have to firm up my diet with as few carbs as possible.....my numbers used to be great and therefore no swelling problem....so firm up numbers first....thanks! How many carbs do you eat daily?

Super Advisor
yellocanoe

[ Edited ]

Right now I'm adjusting my carb level downward a bit so I'm somewhere around 150 per day.  10-15 for breakfast, 30-35 for lunch & dinner, 10-25 for snacks.  When I worked full time I was around 200 carbs a day.  My A1c has held steadily around 5.2-5.5 for almost 2 years now.  I also have dropped around 35 lbs which I think really helped with the edema.

Tom

Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Occasional Visitor
Jolene65

Nice going! thanks for sharing your numbers. This is my first day here and it's nice to find a "friend"-thanks!

Super Advisor
yellocanoe

You are certainly welcome, glad to have you on the boards!   You will find quite a lot of helpful people here, it's a great place to rub elbows with fellow diabetics.

Tom

Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,847
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Jolene65 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Carbs are poison to me and I have to firm up my diet with as few carbs as possible.....my numbers used to be great and therefore no swelling problem....so firm up numbers first....thanks! How many carbs do you eat daily?

Hi Jolene,

I'd still have the doctor check the problem out because it might be a number of other causes, some more serious.  What medications are you currently taking?

Here's a good way to start firming up the numbers and find out how many carbs are right for you.

Read the links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs.

That'll get you off to a good start. :smileywink:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Visitor
Jolene65

Thanks SO much for the tips! The doctor is aware-I take Metformin twice daily. I was taking Actos as well, but was taken off of it when all the news came out about it.

Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Are you on any meds? Some are known to cause edema. Could be the heat. Could be something else going on, best to give your doc a call.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

[ Edited ]

Jolene65 wrote:

I have Type #2 and have been knowingly living with it for over 12 years.  What can you do for swelling that happens at times in lower legs, or ankles or feet? Do you get Compression hose? i am not sure how to deal with this .....can you please help? Thank you.

Welcome to the message board Jolene.

My husband who was slim and non-diabetic  developed some swelling such as yours.

His doctor wrote down the type and measurement of socks that he needed and we went to a pharmacy that specializes in making sure that he got the right brand and size. They were over the counter and did the trick.

It was a heart/circulation problem but not a serious one and he was told to wear the hose because it saved his heart from pumping all that extra fluid back up to the heart.

See your doctor and I hope he can recommend the OCT ones- once you know the brand and size number you can buy them at many drugstores and they are a lot cheaper.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.