Occasional Visitor
laurar2302
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-25-2010

Support for caregivers

My husband's (53 y/o Type 2 diabetic) health has slowly been failing. In the last year his eyesight has faded to the point it's no longer safe for him to drive. His kidneys failed and he had to go on dialysis. One of our adult daughters and her daughter live with us. God bless her, she takes her dad to and from all of his appointments, picks up his meds, makes sure he eats, cooks and cleans on days I work and takes care of her daughter. We are so overwhelmed sometimes. We just need someone to talk to who has been there and listen to our concerns. Is this the place? Please tell me we are not alone.
Established Advisor
rwilson4374
Total Posts: 323
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Support for caregivers

You are not alone, I don't know of any support groups just for Diabetes caregivers. You can always come here to vent or ask questions. You might want to ask at you hospitals near you if there is a caregiver’s support group or your church or some doctor office might know of a group.
I know in my community it isn't just for Diabetes but we have a few caregiver support groups. I watch my parents take care of my grandparents for the last few years. They have found a few friends at work who are going through the same thing to talk to. If you do work there might be a program that helps you find a support group or link you up with someone. My mom’s company offers this type of program. Sorry I can offer anything else
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Support for caregivers

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Support for caregivers

You're not alone.

Most of us here are people with diabetes, but there are several who are caring for a person with diabetes. I'm sure they will drop in after the holiday weekend.

Feel free to talk about his problems with diabetes or your problems in caring for him. We do not judge here, although some of us may offer suggestions to help.

Whether you accept or follow those suggestions is entirely up to you both

Best wishes,

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
metformin 1500mg, d&e
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Low Carb Crustless Quiche)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Buenos Aires, Argentina )
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Support for caregivers

You are not alone. While my Mother and Sister do not have diabetes they do have other  health problems that require 24/7 care which I have been doing for the last 3 plus years. I know what you are going through. I do all of what your daughter is doing but double  the care part. It is hard and I am not going to say it is not. It definitely is. Your daughter is hero and I know she needs the support. I find it hard to join a support group because most of them are geared for Hearing but I do have several friends who are Deaf or  have Deaf Parents who are going through the same thing so we can support one another.
Several sources for support groups are the local senior center, hospitals and medical centers, local community centers, etc. Also this website is very good. http://www.caring.com
I have found it to be a valuable resource for information, etc.
Also check with your state DHS department to see if they have any conferences for caregivers that she could attend. I am assuming she is unpaid. I am and was able to attend a caregiver conference here in Washington this last June for a total of $25.  It was worth every penny and you can't beat $25 for a conference. I think you are a great Mom for reaching out like this. I commend you for doing so.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.