Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

Sunflower Seeds

One of my all time favorite snacks when I have the urge to keep munching. Shelled of course. :smileyhappy: It also lowers my BG. I would assume it does that for everyone..yes? no? I know we are all so different.

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Frequent Responder
lonejaden
Total Posts: 150
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Sunflower Seeds

I love them too. I always have and am so happy to find out they are okay to have on a low carb diet.  I love them on salads too.

I miss having some seeds and then a licorice piece, but oh well.....now I have some seeds and then for my sweet I have a sugar free Brach's cinnamon disc candy!  Almost as good!  Gotta tell myself that anyway! 

I like em best in the shell too, takes longer to eat and keeps the hands and mouth busy!

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

One of my favourites also. Not sure if they have much impact on my BG either way. However, I have noticed that the salt does not do good things for my blood pressure.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,495
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Someone was sharing roasted pumpkin seeds at lunch on our hike yesterday--I'd forgotten how good those are...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,433

I recently unearthed an old jar of Planters sunflower roasted sunflower kernels that I had stashed away, and was surprised at how good they tasted, albeit salty.  One look at the label told me that they have what must be a perfectly magical combination of spices to get that great taste.  I wonder if unsalted sunflower kernels would taste so good?  Or if we could do some experimenting and just add the garlic, paprika, and onion spices ourselves to see if we could duplicate the taste, without the salt...

http://www.planters.com/varieties/nutrition-information.aspx?Site=1&Product=2900007337

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
jazzTBone
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎09-12-2012

I would like to reply to this old string from January - I tried shelled sunflower seeds last night, which is something I have not had for maybe 15 years because of diverticular disease which was corrected last year.  Well, I chewed through about half the package, rather onerously - one by one - until bedtime.  I took my bedtime glucose reading which runs about 140 or so at bedtime, and it was 77!  Wow. 

This morning I woke up and tested, and my BG was 140 - bummer!  I ate some more seeds through the AM (instead of eating breakfast) and my BG was 85.  I decided to Google on sunflower and diabetes and found your posts.

What is the deal?  Have I found a mirical food?  What should I watch out for other than oviously going too low with the BG?

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,142

jazzTBone wrote:

I would like to reply to this old string from January - I tried shelled sunflower seeds last night, which is something I have not had for maybe 15 years because of diverticular disease which was corrected last year.  Well, I chewed through about half the package, rather onerously - one by one - until bedtime.  I took my bedtime glucose reading which runs about 140 or so at bedtime, and it was 77!  Wow. 

This morning I woke up and tested, and my BG was 140 - bummer!  I ate some more seeds through the AM (instead of eating breakfast) and my BG was 85.  I decided to Google on sunflower and diabetes and found your posts.

What is the deal?  Have I found a mirical food?  What should I watch out for other than oviously going too low with the BG?

Never heard or experienced a drop in BG with them.  Might have to give them a try, sounds good in a salad as we eat "bunny food" at almost every dinner.  Have tried those expensive pine nuts in a salad and it sure made a taste difference.  Might be that sunflower seeds are high in oil so they hold back the absorption of the carbs, as minimal as that is with sunflower nuts.

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775

I've roasted pumpkin seeds without salt and they taste fabulous!  I just use other spices - paprika, garlic, chili, Mrs. Dash, lemon pepper etc.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

jazzTBone wrote:

Hi Jazz and welcome to the board! Hope you have time to stay with us and post often.

I'm glad you resurrected this post and I will try the sunflower seeds that I keep in the freezer as a new and different bedtime snack.

I do not hold out much hope for this being a miracle food for diabetes but it sounds like a nice change. Plus I am just putting a little roast in the oven so I will roast a few while the oven is still hot.

I too have never heard of them lowering numbers but who knows?  Most will agree that they are highly unlikely to cause a low :smileywink:

Come back often and let us know how things are going for you,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

haha. Till this day, I still use sunflower seeds as a great snack and yes, they lower my BG.

At times I will also eat a spoon or two of PB to slow a spike down or keep it from spiking when I want a little more carb. I mean, protein & fat with your carb is always best. :smileywink:

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise