Super Advisor
Janet754
Total Posts: 1,771
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Sugar free jellies

I recently bought a sugar free jelly that had truvia in it.  I didn't seem to like it as much as other SF jellies.  This one was blackberry jam from smuckers.  I really found one that I like that is raspberry seedless jelly from Polonar.  It is thicker and has splenda in it.  I am so happy to find that in the 5 years that I have diabetes there are more products being made that are sugar free.  Yeah.  I guess the food companies are getting the idea.

Have a good weekend.

Janet (born on the 4th of July)
Advisor
Diabetes86
Total Posts: 775
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

Re: Sugar free jellies

Watch out MANY sugar free items have more carbs than the sugar ones.

In the USA T2 1986, insulin 2000, T1 08, Omnipod pump 5/13
Established Advisor
blakflag1
Total Posts: 404
Registered on: ‎07-17-2012

Diabetes86 wrote:

Watch out MANY sugar free items have more carbs than the sugar ones.

True enough. "sugar free" has become just another catch phrase, almost as bad as "low sodium". You have to read the whole label and watch for misleading or unrealistic "serving" numbers. If I remember correctly, Campbells calls for 1/2 cup as a serving. I guess it would be if you were feeding 4 year olds. Small 4 year olds.

blakflag1 Rural Tennessee
3/28/12 A1c 8.9
6/22/12 A1c 6.7
10/22/12 A1c 5.2
Super Advisor
Janet754
Total Posts: 1,771
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I usually check out the carb content first, then the sodium content.   With my bp problems I have to be careful with the sodium also.  That is why I always take longer in the supermarket to do my shopping.  These jellies/jams are only 5 carbs per teaspoonful compared to 13 carbs of regular jelly.  Lately it seems that many sf products are tasting better to me.  I recently found a SF key lime pie jello called the temptations.   I just love it.  I find things I like for awhile and then switch back to something else.  Five years ago when I was diagnosed I don't think they had half of these products.  Have a good one.

Janet (born on the 4th of July)
Frequent Responder
kjgentil
Total Posts: 68
Registered on: ‎09-08-2012

I've been eating sugar free candies for years now. And I do mean years. I used to buy them by the truckload to bring back to Haiti with me. And that was way back in the early 80's.  Hopefully improvements have been made to them since I haven't had any of those for years now. Well, just the sugar free jell-o. In the individual serving cups. Premeasured so easier to count.

Karine
Type 2 Diabetes
A1C 6.0
High Cholesterol
Triglicorites 143
BG Average 112
Diagnosed September 5, 2012
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,116
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I've been using the Polaner no sugar added Strawberry preserves. They do use some splenda, and it's only 5g per tablespoon. Along with sugar free peanut butter and low carb bread, I can make PBJ with about 20g carbs :smileyhappy:

Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 6,194
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

kjgentil wrote:

I've been eating sugar free candies for years now. And I do mean years. I used to buy them by the truckload to bring back to Haiti with me. And that was way back in the early 80's.  Hopefully improvements have been made to them since I haven't had any of those for years now. Well, just the sugar free jell-o. In the individual serving cups. Premeasured so easier to count.

Hi, kjgentil,

My understanding is that sugar free jell-o doesn't need to be counted because it's carb and calorie free--it's mostly just water. Personally, I ate tons of it for quite a while after I was diagnosed, and I didn't suffer any ill effects.

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (December 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 6,194
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

billsreef wrote:

I've been using the Polaner no sugar added Strawberry preserves. They do use some splenda, and it's only 5g per tablespoon. Along with sugar free peanut butter and low carb bread, I can make PBJ with about 20g carbs :smileyhappy:

I'm not real big on jelly, jams, or preserves on bread/toast (though I do love me some cinnamon toast with raisins!), but sometimes I like to mix them in with oatmeal...tasty!

I like peanut butter sandwiches with real fruit (slices). I used to have only banana slices in my peanut butter sandwiches, but then I got adventurous and started trying other fruit. Strawberries or pears are very good, but not kiwi...just my opinion, of course...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (December 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years